Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It took 20 years, but I finally won a SWCCG tournament. I've loved the game since the Premiere set came out, and have played hundreds of casual games over the years, but winning a tournament was never something I spent enough time on to make a reality. So, when I did go to tournaments, I usually finished in the middle of the pack. That was good enough for me, since playing can be as fun as winning in SWCCG, especially once the game "died."

My winless streak changed at Origins 2017, when Daniel Griego of Inner Kingdom Games set up a wonderfully informal sealed deck tournament. Six players showed up and we each got a Special Edition starter deck, one pack of New Hope, one pack of Jabba's Palace, and then two packs of Cloud City. We paired up with someone on the other side of the force (I was Light Side), swapped them for the appropriate cards on our respective sides of the Force, and built 60-card decks (which mostly meant filling out the last 10-15 spots in the deck lists with the least bad cards from the "no" piles rather than needing to make tough decisions about what to cut. I didn't have all that difficult time building my deck, as many of the obvious good cards – my rares especially – were not usable. Harvest? Not gonna happen. Y-Wing Assault Squadron? Not with only one Y-Wing, you're not. Bo Shuda? Nope.

So, I built a deck by using pretty much every character I got in my packs, put in as many high-destiny and green cards as I could, and tried to minimize the number of locations. I think I ended up with 10, which I hoped would give me enough force generation without drawing too many zeroes. That turned out to mostly be true, even if I did whiff my fair share of times. We then played three games (each LS player faced off against each DS player in a round-robin style tournament). Here's what I remember about the games.

Game 1: We got out lots of locations early on, which meant we had enough force to basically play anything we wanted. The battles happened mostly on Cloud City, as I had enough puny characters there to force him to engage me and not put down many forces on Tatooine. I don't remember exactly how this game played out, but I know there was a lot of how do all of these cards work, again? We needed to confirm that, in this setting, operatives were basically cheap 1/1 aliens to be used as fodder. We needed to remember to Force Drain. I heard people at other tables looking up creature rules. All the things you would expect from people who haven't played the game in a year or two. Full win.

Game 2: Oh, man, his deck hated him this game, offering up location after location during important destiny draws. In the informal spirit of the day, he let me take a move back when I misread Rapid Fire and tried to deploy a weapon during battle. That card, of course, can only deploy a starship or vehicle weapon, and I was trying to deploy a Disruptor Pistol. Since it was my turn anyway, and I could have played the weapon the deploy phase before the battle (I had kept it back, hoping to recycle the 5-destiny Used Interrupt), he let me do it. This was kind of him, but then the Disruptor Pistol knocked out one of his guys, which then removed his ability to draw destiny, and that kind of turned the tide of the battle and then the game. Throwing in a Slight Weapons Malfunction to give me two destiny draws was the mean icing on the cake. I had Civil Disorder down to just speed up his force loss. Full win.

Game 3: We were both undefeated going in, which set up a nice "final" in the round-robin style tournament. I had a handle on my deck, such as it was, by this point, and knew that my space fleet was pretty much useless. But, when he lost a few ships to battle damage or drains, I felt safe setting up a single X-Wing at Bespin, getting rid of the Dark Side's deploy discount at the Cloud City Port Town District. Just as in Game 2, my opponent managed to draw locations for destiny at important times. The most important turn of the game came when we finally had two huge piles of minor aliens and Rebels/Imperials facing off. We both had characters with Disruptor Pistols there but, when he initiated, he used Makurth's "scream" power first. He missed (drawing a location), and I then Distruptor Pistoled away a character – conveniently the one carrying his own Disruptor Pistol – and then he realized he should have tried to fire his own Pistol against me first. He would have whiffed anyway with that location draw (and his overall battle destiny was –again – a location), but it was one of those moves where you can tell we were all a bit rusty.

In the end, sure, I got lucky a few times with the destiny draws, and none of us played perfect games. Whatever the reasons, I finally won a tournament. We had a great time. My apologies to the players whose names I can't remember for any details I forgot. We were a small group, but we had a lot of fun, and Griego said that he'd be interested in running another event at Origins 2018. We all said yes to that, as long as we don't have to build our own decks for it. So, look out for a cube or another sealed event. I hope I'll be able to come back to Origins so I can defend my "title." Oh, and if we use the SE sealed decks again, you can bet a Disruptor Pistol is going in my deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is super neat! Congratulations on your win

I didn't even realize this was still a thing! I played this game to death in its heyday. Bought boxes and boxes of the stuff.

I'm honestly surprised that there's still enough sealed material to make this happen. I might have to start looking into this to see if anything is happening locally to me. Probably not, but it's worth a look!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anatinus
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Just a twin
badge
Don't drink the potion!
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryJoe wrote:
This is super neat! Congratulations on your win

I didn't even realize this was still a thing! I played this game to death in its heyday. Bought boxes and boxes of the stuff.

I'm honestly surprised that there's still enough sealed material to make this happen. I might have to start looking into this to see if anything is happening locally to me. Probably not, but it's worth a look!

http://www.starwarsccg.org is the still active player's committee site. There's usually a major (for us) constructed tourney each year in Houston.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note that my opponent in game 3 was
Duncan McEwen
United States
Ottawa Hills
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if memory serves. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.