Subject: How to go about the F&I Final Scorings in future TMtour/F&Itour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dhrun
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This thread is meant as contribution to the discussion I started under
Snellman and TMtour - Ideas to make a great gaming experience even better

To be frank I only played F&I final scorings about 3-4 times altogether but I gave it some thoughts and agree with friends who are both more experienced with it and probably better players than me:

F&I expansion scoring together with network scoring seems excessive.

I.e. the focus on economic growth becomes even more pronounced than now, leaving little alternative routes to good scores.
a) So on average games becomes more one-dimensional (bad).
b) Possibly they also become more lopsided (would also be bad, but this is wild speculation on my part, happy to hear from someone inspecting stats).
Anyhow the first point alone leads me to this suggestion:
While the extra scorings are definitely interesting, it would be nice to dampen their impact.

Here I’d like to offer a discussion if in particular experienced/good players have some consensus about this and what should possibly be done.
But if you want to discuss other questions on using the scoring in tour setting, please go ahead too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhrun
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don’t even know what Juho and Daniel think about this yet and probably a technical solution would require Juho to support something in the base software, but first steps first.

Assuming you agree to above, what are the alternatives?
1) Not use the expansion scorings
2) Use them despite some unevenness they bring
3) Use them instead of network scoring
4) Add network scoring as a fifth alternative final scoring and use only one
5) Halve the VPs given by both network scoring and final scoring
6) Reduced the VP in a different fashion
7) Only include final scorings which might be least in synch with network scoring
8) Others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
Dhrun wrote:
This thread is meant as contribution to the discussion I started under
Snellman and TMtour - Ideas to make a great gaming experience even better

To be frank I only played F&I final scorings about 3-4 times altogether but I gave it some thoughts and agree with friends who are both more experienced with it and probably better players than me:

F&I expansion scoring together with network scoring seems excessive.

I.e. the focus on economic growth becomes even more pronounced than now, leaving little alternative routes to good scores.
a) So on average games becomes more one-dimensional (bad).
b) Possibly they also become more lopsided (would also be bad, but this is wild speculation on my part, happy to hear from someone inspecting stats).
Anyhow the first point alone leads me to this suggestion:
While the extra scorings are definitely interesting, it would be nice to dampen their impact.

Here I’d like to offer a discussion if in particular experienced/good players have some consensus about this and what should possibly be done.
But if you want to discuss other questions on using the scoring in tour setting, please go ahead too.

I'd have to disagree a bit. The extra final scoring makes FAV choices less obvious and hence more interesting. Income FAVs are generally better than in the standard setup, but the exact extent of this difference is not entirely understood yet, as far as I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the additional scoring opens up the game to more options. In one sense, the cult track is worth the majority of points in the base game, a possible of 32 vp. With the added scoring, networks can now be worth 36, putting it on par with the cult track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah to chime in with what is now officially a crowd, I am also opposed to changing the extra final scoring tile rules as implemented by the game designers. A few reasons:

- As already said previously, they reduce (slightly) the importance of the scoring fav tiles and winning cults, potentially expanding paths to victory even for factions that traditionally monopolize cults
- different final scoring tiles help different factions become more viable - clusters help fakirs, dwarves, riverwalkers; edge helps Giants, volcanoes, nomads, and big diggers; distance helps fakirs, mermaids, shapeshifters, and red factions (on the new map); and SH-SA encourages factions that build both, etc. So they open up faction selection beyond set meta-games.
- Similarly, different end game scoring encourages different starting dwelling selections - edge will inspire very different opening locations than clusters, which is in turn different from the distances. And that continues of course into the entire strategy of the game
- You might say just get rid of overall network scoring, but in my experience there is never a perfect overlap between network and special scoring, and in fact I've snagged wins on SH-SA and edges in particular with no points for network. So I wouldn't want to take away the key economy reward.
- I also don't think either should be reduced, because then they may not offer enough incentive to drive player behavior in the ways described above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhrun
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
greenraingw wrote:
Yeah to chime in with what is now officially a crowd, I am also opposed to changing the extra final scoring tile rules as implemented by the game designers. A few reasons:

I can follow your arguments too, still I feel the route "grab as many points as possible along the way" as an alternative to "maximise economy" gets another hit if the new scorings get applied without reducing Network scoring..
OK, I accept that my view might be wrong and surely seems minority as of now
And I definitely want to play the F&I scorings.
So I guess thread closed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.