32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: road to legends: replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter F
msg tools
I'm thinking about getting descent mainly for the app. How does it play mainly with the base set? Maybe later I would add some expansions.

How is the replayability? I bought mansions of madness 2nd Edition a few months ago and after playing each scenario 2-3 times my group and I had no intention to play it again and sold it. It was just the same with little differences in layout and items. I didn't have any expansions but had no intentions in adding some as they were quite expensive but just added some variety or maybe 1-2 scenarios.

Will I get more mileage out of descent?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Replayability goes up the more stuff you have (variation in monsters, some alternate layouts, new side missions for each expansion, etc.). The quests don't vary so much, but how you play them can be changed a lot if a big boss monster or agent shows up from a lieutenant pack or hero and monster pack you have. You'll probably at least want Shadow of Nerekhall for best results, since one of the RtL campaigns requires it.

There's some discussion as to whether or not development is done for the app, so if you don't think you'd be happy with just what's on there now you might want to wait a bit before jumping in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
headput1 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting descent mainly for the app. How does it play mainly with the base set? Maybe later I would add some expansions.

There are currently 1.5 campaigns that largely use the base set and 1 that largely uses the expansion Shadows of Nerekhall. Additional expansions can add additional quests and the monsters can show up in your campaigns, but you don't need additional expansions to enjoy the campaigns and buying those expansions currently doesn't give you much bang for your buck.

*There's also the Delve which is kind of a free for all.

headput1 wrote:

How is the replayability?

Meh.

headput1 wrote:

I bought mansions of madness 2nd Edition a few months ago and after playing each scenario 2-3 times my group and I had no intention to play it again and sold it.

These quests are less variable than MoM. There's also MUCH less story making the quests run faster and feel less redundant. For example, in MoM when I wade through the same long paragraph of text explaining how a monster attacks for the 3rd time I'm bored out of my skull. Whereas the monster attacks in Descent are sufficiently fast and simple that they don't feel horrendously repetitive.

However, there are currently many more scenarios out for the road to legend app than for MoM and the base game is significantly cheaper than MoM. Also the mini's are much higher quality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Sarcasmorator wrote:

There's some discussion as to whether or not development is done for the app, so if you don't think you'd be happy with just what's on there now you might want to wait a bit before jumping in.

I think people worry about this sort of thing all the time with FFG games just because the company is horrendous about letting fans know what's going on. Shadows of Nerekhall just came out in what January...so hopefully we'll get word of what's next at gencon. It's not actually like we should be expecting things sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's a particular thread I'm referencing where someone claiming to have inside info says it's being wound down. But it's an anonymous account citing anonymous sources breaking their NDAs to tell them this, so I consider it iffy at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my honest opinion, Mansions of Madness 2 is vastly superior to Road to Legend. While Descent is awesome, I would not buy it just for the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After you are bored with the app you can always go back to playing it as Overlord vs Heroes.

I am personally not board with the game after months of playing it. I mainly play solo or 2 player. The app is great for that because you can have multiple saved games and jump back and fourth.

I have not played MoM, mainly due to the theme. I am not very much into the Cthulu cult stuff (though I do love me some eldritch horror). I love the fantasy theme in Descent. There are lots of heroes and monsters and using each makes the game feel different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
For the Emperor!
badge
No world shall be beyond my rule; no enemy shall be beyond my wrath.
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the app, there are also 3 NON-app solo/co-op scenarios for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:

What are those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
Magellan1 wrote:

What are those?

I believe he is referring to the Co-Op Adventures Forgotten Souls, Nature's Ire and Dark Elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Well, there's a particular thread I'm referencing where someone claiming to have inside info says it's being wound down. But it's an anonymous account citing anonymous sources breaking their NDAs to tell them this, so I consider it iffy at best.

His claim is more than iffy. For FFG to release road to legend and promise pay campaigns for it after they have already decided to end the line makes no sense. If you'd put credibility in that sock puppets claim I've got a bridge to sell you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
There's not loads of variation in the quests, and you can buy loads of monsters but they're not that different.

However the classes are very different- orders of magnitude more different than MoM characters. You get 8 classes in the base game so that's two totally different playthroughs at the max player count. 4 more classes in Nerekhall and that unlocks a new campaign too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Deano2099 wrote:
There's not loads of variation in the quests, and you can buy loads of monsters but they're not that different.

To be fair the monsters are quite different but it's mostly in their special abilities which without an intelligent overlord may kind of get wasted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucho22 wrote:
His claim is more than iffy. For FFG to release road to legend and promise pay campaigns for it after they have already decided to end the line makes no sense. If you'd put credibility in that sock puppets claim I've got a bridge to sell you.

"Iffy at best" means "doubtful at best," as in probably less likely than doubtful, so I'm not sure where we're in disagreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucho22 wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

To be fair the monsters are quite different but it's mostly in their special abilities which without an intelligent overlord may kind of get wasted...

Agreed, the monsters in the app have simple actions, but when controlled by the overlord they each play very differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection Account wrote:
Did they promise to release pay campaigns? I don't recall seeing that anywhere.

Originally they said that campaigns after the intro goblins one would be for pay, then released them for free instead. No word on further pay content (aside from the Delve) since then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's point 1 leading to point 4 that doesn't make sense for me, logically. Surprise success + no further development for it = profit??? A surprise success is one of those things that tends to make a company change any wind-down plans.

Anyway, there's so much for 2E that I don't agree it's foolish to invest UNLESS you're mainly interested in the app (in which case, wait and see). We've happily played the game for about five years now. Plenty there. Not sure we'll ever get through it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Bucho22 wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

That's a fair point, there are lots of differences between the monsters in the main game and expansions. Just once you start hitting the hero and monster kits you get diminishing returns (crypt dragons or shadow dragons etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools

3. If they can't get Imperial Assault up, they'll release Descent 3rd edition with a new descent app, because they want people who brought 2nd edition to shell out again for third.

If true I'm not sure that motivation is 100% correct either. The 2E app experience is bolted on and in many ways it's amazing it works as well as it does. But certainly the characters and classes are not balanced for app play and there's so much stuff that just can't be done with the restriction of not being able to release new physical components.

Assuming the plan is to create a co-op, app-driven dungeon crawl from fresh at some point (seems sensible, as the demand is there) you end up in this weird position where everyone might want more stuff for 2E, but the more you release the worse it looks when you announce the new game. If they made two new campaigns, one requiring Laybrinth and one requiring Mists/Chains over the next twelve months, then announced 3E, do you feel better or worse? Happy you've got more content, or angry you bought three new boxes and then they announced a new game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:

However the classes are very different- orders of magnitude more different than MoM characters. You get 8 classes in the base game so that's two totally different playthroughs at the max player count. 4 more classes in Nerekhall and that unlocks a new campaign too.

Just changing classes and heroes doesn't give you a "totally different" experience. Even switching to a new campaign doesn't accomplish that because you will still wind up playing the same side quests over again, a process that is generally 66% of the game content in a campaign. Spending hundreds of dollars on expansions and hero and monster packs to unlock more side quests can mitigate the repetitive play somewhat but eventually you're still in the same place - forced to play the same side quests you've already played to get gold to buy new items and equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hitchhiker hitchhiker

New Jersey
msg tools
I am hopeful that if they do go with a 3rd edition (which does not make sense at this time, and even if would be several years away) they would add more campaigns for the expansions they have. It seems to be the most reasonable strategy as most of the work in the app has been done. The only thing to develop is the campaign story and quest map. Heck, they could even use the quest vault to grab some campaign ideas. Further down this path they could generate more sales by making the original OL campaigns now run under the app. Heirs of Blood could be modified and generate more sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
RepublicLifeHuman wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

Just changing classes and heroes doesn't give you a "totally different" experience.

It's pretty damn different though. I'd argue more different than, say, two games of Pandemic or Ticket to Ride. Or pretty much any game with just a single scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This probably gets into an entirely different thread discussion, but the app integration is precisely what would get me to not go with a new edition (like MoM 2E). I personally do board games to avoid technology. It just seems somehow not right to have to be dependent on an app to make the game work properly. At least with D2E, it is not a fundamental component.

I REALLY doubt those people will not transition to a 3rd edition in a couple years anyway, particularly is there is improved app integration, etc. If you aggravate them enough now though they might write off their losses and not bother.

I get the point though, especially for individuals who love it - and are the ones currently propping up D2E sales as you mention. And I do agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PuntSpeedchunk wrote:

This probably gets into an entirely different thread discussion, but the app integration is precisely what would get me to not go with a new edition (like MoM 2E). I personally do board games to avoid technology. It just seems somehow not right to have to be dependent on an app to make the game work properly. At least with D2E, it is not a fundamental component.

I REALLY doubt those people will not transition to a 3rd edition in a couple years anyway, particularly is there is improved app integration, etc. If you aggravate them enough now though they might write off their losses and not bother.

I get the point though, especially for individuals who love it - and are the ones currently propping up D2E sales as you mention. And I do agree.

I'm pretty "hardcore" in being somewhat anti-technology as well.

I highly, highly prefer f2f boardgame experiences over digital games or app versions of boardgames.

Saying all that though... an app to play a game fully co-op like D2E is fantastic as it still allows all players to enjoy the gaming experience together in a tabletop boardgaming environment.

1 vs Many is declining/dying in popularity imo (and the number of people who say they couldn't get D2E on the table without the app is testament to that).

I have seen that stated by many people who played MoM 1st edition as well. The app in the 2nd edition of that game made it MUCH more playable (and enjoyable).

I've also seen many saying they don't get IA to the table as often as they'd like because of that requirement for the "Overlord". Yes, it still gets played... but I think the sales boost there would also be massive if an app came out and it would become a fully co-op situation.

So yes I'm normally a near-Luddite when it comes to boardgames but an app that allows the physical tabletop game to be enjoyed and played more often by multiple players sharing that immersive co-op experience is a great idea imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. What I really like about D2E is that you can play it either way! That way, even if Steam/App crash completely the game is still completely playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.