Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star» Forums » General

Subject: Help a new player survive a solo game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody have any tips for solo play?

I'm only playing single games, rather than the solo campaign, but the AI is whupping my bottom! It gains 1 or 2 FP every turn, while I'm lucky if I can get 1 FP every other turn!

I'm enjoying the game immensely, but it would be nice to feel like I have a chance against the AI, so any advice would be most welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't playing on Easy mode, try that. If you haven't started with Easy Tiger, start with that ship.

Here's a play through on hard that may give you a sense of possible strategy: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1803594/iras-hard-solo-camp...

Generally, increase your net worth early game but slow-play getting FPs. Don't get ahead of the NPCs on fame. Minimize the bonuses they get when possible. Don't let the Enforcer and Scoundrel attack you at the same time.

Maybe try and explain in detail what you're doing strategically so we can give more feedback?

I agree that early relics are good. If you don't get them, then try early exploration until you find relics. Keep the 5 spaces around Nyr empty at the start of the game if you don't get relics to start, so you have 5 chances to find a dead world next to Nyr. Use any early explore tokens to get cash and power up your ship. With starting 6k, you can get:

6d engine
2 GTS (so you always roll 5 or 6, mostly 6)
d8 shield
1 enviro shield

As soon as you get more cash, you can get armor plating, cargo pods, more enviro shields, and an MComp. Only upgrade to tier 2 ship if you have perhaps 14k+ net worth.

Remember near the end of the game you can do a business phase, sell off all your outfits, buy points for 5k, and upgrade to tier 3 ship for 8k at the threshold to win the game.

With a tier 2 shield, you should be able to ignore almost all NPC attacks, though it will cost you some energy along the way.

I'd love to hear other strategy tips from others!

Keep us posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Having played 4 games on hard, Id say get early money, buy what you want and then go for lots of FPs.
Relics if they are close otherwise take 2000CR for each two Explores you can get early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting tip a friend of mine noticed - if the NPCs are a danger you can hide in an asteroid, debris or ice space to block their line of sight. The risk of damage in those spots is usually less than the damage you would take from a Hard tier Scoundrel or Enforcer plus the Enviro Shield mod makes hiding in the meteors and ice even easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies folks (and thanks for the solo rules Ira).

It sounds like going hard after money is the recommended option. I've been trying to chase FP to keep up with the AI, which may be where I'm coming unstuck.

The main problem I've been having is that early game there are limited trade routes, so exploration and/or mining are the only options. I've been outfitting my starting ship with a small engine and medium shields, which on a tiny tier 1 ship usually only leaves enough room for 1 relic or 3 cargo. However a modest amount of damage usually results in those getting jettisoned and disappearing on the NPC turn (and giving a big modifier to their die roll).

Environment Shields help to a certain degree, but as I understand them only the space with the mod on offers Enviro Shielding, so if you have 1 mod you can only use it once per turn to max shields vs enviro damage. As it is not combat, I'm also assuming that enviro shields can't be re-armed like normal shields?

In my last game, I used armour and cargo pods for the first time and I must admit they made a big difference (it was mostly unlucky dice rolls and no viable trade routes that hurt me. That and being hit by a comet!)

As people are recommending chasing the money and playing FP catch-up later, how long would people suggest making a game for beginners? I've been trying short 5 or 10 point games, which may also be contributing to my downfall.

Thanks again for the suggestions folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
dugman wrote:
An interesting tip a friend of mine noticed - if the NPCs are a danger you can hide in an asteroid, debris or ice space to block their line of sight. The risk of damage in those spots is usually less than the damage you would take from a Hard tier Scoundrel or Enforcer plus the Enviro Shield mod makes hiding in the meteors and ice even easier.

Wow, great tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluehammer wrote:

Environment Shields help to a certain degree, but as I understand them only the space with the mod on offers Enviro Shielding, so if you have 1 mod you can only use it once per turn to max shields vs enviro damage. As it is not combat, I'm also assuming that enviro shields can't be re-armed like normal shields?

Enviro shields arm exactly the same as normal shields. The only difference between an Enviro shield and a normal shield is you don't roll the die out of combat when you use the Enviro shield, it simply gives the maximum result automatically. (And remember the Enviro shield sits on top of an existing shield use space, it doesn't give an extra use of the shield outfit.)

So as a reminder: if you block combat damage from an attack you can recharge the marker immediately. Any other damage you have to wait until the Arm Markers step of your Refresh stage of your own turn to rearm the marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:

So as a reminder: if you block combat damage from an attack you can recharge the marker immediately. Any other damage you have to wait until the Arm Markers step of your Refresh stage of your own turn to rearm the marker.

Thank's for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.