Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While my wife is away, I'm planning a mad party ! Well, okay, 4 or 5 grognards huddled around the kitchen table for a Saturday afternoon / evening.

Looking for a 4 / 5 player wargame that plays in 5 - 6 hours. We're kind of along the spectrum of hardcore grognard to "well, Tanks is fun..." so ideally nothing too complex.

Last year we played Axis & Allies: WWI 1914 which went over really well.

So really looking for something that is close to a Real Man's or Woman's Wargame but can be played by non-grognards as well. Our preferences are likely closer to say post 1800's but again, if it's a good game, I doubt people would complain.

My collection is online here but really, most of what I have is two player but if you are feeling extremely helpful, maybe take a look - you may see "oh, you have to try _____ with 5 people !!!"

Not adverse to buying a new game though either.

Any suggestions appreciated !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 players ... preferably post-1900 ... light(ish) ... willing to go 6hrs. Hmmm.

Hell if you like Axis & Allies WWI, throw down on Axis & Allies 1940 "Global War" (Europe + Pacific)....or just Europe.

If sci-fi, fantasy, ancients, or medieval/Renaissance genres were OK there's be a lot more options.

Hey, you already own Dune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
5 players ... preferably post-1900 ... light(ish) ... willing to go 6hrs. Hmmm.

Hell if you like Axis & Allies WWI, throw down on Axis & Allies 1940 "Global War" (Europe + Pacific)....or just Europe.

If sci-fi, fantasy, ancients, or medieval/Renaissance genres were OK there's be a lot more options.

Hey, you already own Dune

Hmmm...Dune... I bought that on impulse many years ago (well, when it came out...), I doubt it ever got played "properly" - hmmm.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...always a sliver of hope.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tide of Iron: Next Wave scales to four, and could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out Friedrich (only plays 4, though, and it's mid-1700s). Non-complex rules (about 6 pages), will fit within your time constraints (should be closer to 4 hours) and very fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species - war between species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GMT COIN Series for sure, 4 player, most titles are post-WWII, everybody gets a chance to mess with everybody else.

Another thought, try to find the Victory at Sea rules/expansion for War at Sea (second edition) and Victory in the Pacific (which I see are already in your collection). 4 players: one takes US, one takes Brits/Dutch/Australian, one takes Japanese, last player takes Germany/Italy (guess you have 5 players one take Germany, one takes Italy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super light but really fun:
Quartermaster General

If you're willing to go nineteenth century, 1812 is great.

Also, please check out: Conflict of Heroes. It's awesome. Generally a 2-player game, but it has some legitimate four player scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Academy Games Birth of America Series. All of them support 4 players, but only 1812: The Invasion of Canada supports 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) a good option. Friedrich already mentioned. Here I Stand tournament scenario is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich if you are 4. Quartermaster general or Dominant species otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have managed to assemble 5 people who want to play for 5-6 hours, then you really owe it to yourselves to find one more person so you can play Here I Stand. You can play this with 5, but it is not as good.

Note -- there is a 500 aniversary of Luther reprint edition, coming out this year. http://www.gmtgames.com/p-508-here-i-stand-500th-anniversary... It's much cheaper to buy this one from GMT, with the steep pre-orders discount than to wait for it become available in local stores.

But, if you cannot do this, you are supposed to play Virgin Queen instead, which everybody tells me is also fantastic, and billed as 'the sequel to HIS' from GMT games. Made by the same game designer Ed Beach. I haven't played it; the decision making always goes 'We should really play this game. It's supposed to be good. Yeah, but ...' out comes Here I Stand again. ) Some day we will only be 5, and it will happen. Note: there is a quicker 'tournament' version of this game that takes 4-5 hours, if 7 seems long even for your group.

+1 Friedrich when you are 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played Dune yet, I would definitely put that at the top of your list.

Since your group seems fond of Axis and Allies, then maybe Fortress America and probably Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition when it is reprinted later this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword of Rome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thorne
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know those are probably no real wargames, most are area control with some combat involved, but as your group likes when it is not too complex and most are similar to Axis/Allies: Cry Havoc or Nexus Ops or Exodus: Proxima Centauri, Clash of Cultures, Blood Rage, Clockwork Wars, Eclipse, WarCraft: The Board Game, StarCraft: The Board Game, Forbidden Stars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We could start off with a couple of rounds of Nuclear War. That is if I get around to buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:

Has a 5th player expansion! Which I own. But it's Classical, not modern.

The 5th player, and 20th century preference are really limiting the suggestions here. All my favorites are for earlier periods, or 4 players tops. Or both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cgneal wrote:
We could start off with a couple of rounds of Nuclear War. That is if I get around to buying it.

Hey, you're part of this, you don't get a vote ! Oh wait... I guess you do...

Thanks for the suggestions people, starting to think I should at least blow the dust off of Dune and give the rules a read.

But still open to suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the numbers are slightly variable, how about: Aliens along with the Aliens Expansion? It can play anywhere from one player up to nine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vimy145 wrote:
Since the numbers are slightly variable, how about: Aliens along with the Aliens Expansion? It can play anywhere from one player up to nine?

But it uses squares and everyone knows real wargames use hexes...

Plus, do you really want to bring it to my house - it may never leave. Gee Ron, I don't know where it got to, I guess it is lost, well, time for you to go home now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.