Subject: Sleeving? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mel Banner
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Is it worth sleeving all of the viticulture cards? I ask this because i don't want to have sleeved them all and realize there is no room in the box for my newly sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eustice

Wichita Falls
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved mine but I had to trash the insert I don't regret it. I have added the expansion sleeved and it all fits in the one box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved mine with no trouble at all.
I put them back in the box on edge rather than flat, ignoring the inbuilt dividers. I use a small piece of foam core to separate the different types where a single type straddles two of the insert dividers.

As to whether it is worth it, only you can say. I find it simplifies shuffling as I can mash them together. I never mastered the riffle with the little cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved me be, but removed them after adding Moor Visitors. The stacks kept falling over during the game and they were a pain in the ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved all of mine (including Moor Visitors and Tuscany) and everything lines up perfectly with the top of the card holders in the original insert. I think all I had to do is split the structures up amongst the card slots to fill in what was left over after putting my sleeved and Hugos-taped decks in there. Works like a champ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't sleeved the cards (I rarely sleeve anyway), but I cannot imagine the frustration during play. My stacks already had stability issues, though remedied now by card trays. I can only imagine what it would be like having them all sleeved. My card trays probably wouldn't even help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Life's too short to sleeve cards for games like this.

I personally have found that investing in card holders of various sizes works much better and is far more cost effective. It minimizes the amount that people are holding cards which is the biggest source of wear for games like viticulture.

I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/Ableware-15-Playing-Card-Holder/dp/B0...

And I love uberstax:
https://uberstax.com/

I have spent probably 50 dollars on card holders and saved hundreds on sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
65 games played with our copy with un-sleeved cards and the cards doesn't show any apparent wear that would hinder game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
Life's too short to sleeve cards for games like this.

I personally have found that investing in card holders of various sizes works much better and is far more cost effective. It minimizes the amount that people are holding cards which is the biggest source of wear for games like viticulture.

I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/Ableware-15-Playing-Card-Holder/dp/B0...

And I love uberstax:
https://uberstax.com/

I have spent probably 50 dollars on card holders and saved hundreds on sleeves.

If you've got a healthy number of thrift stores nearby, you can re-purpose the components in a lot of old games. I use these card holders from Foil:

And these card trays from Probe:

And if you find the right edition of Probe, you'll also get these along with the above tray:

All are perfect for Viticulture's mini cards. I've scored a total of 7 copies of Probe at $1-$2 per copy. Needless to say, I've got all the mini card trays I'll need for any game I own that uses them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:
65 games played with our copy with un-sleeved cards and the cards doesn't show any apparent wear that would hinder game play.

Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:

Indeed - they are very good quality, and white bordered. So unless you spill something on them I can't see them getting damaged or showing wear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Banner
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you for this post. It does look like a better way of organizing as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I sleeve, because the pizza and cheesy poof crew does not!
40 Years of gaming, I have seen a lot of crap transferred to cards. In the 70's and 80's I actually used the laminator at college to seal everything. It was a big pain to trim up every card, tile, and player board, but it was worth it compared to other folks not protected. I was playing a friends rather new sleeved game a couple weeks ago and could not believe how grungy the cards looked. For me it's just a sanity feature, they keep the grungy stuff of my cards and I keep my sanity!
(The previous statement is being contested)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to agree with Brian, as I do play with some who couldn't put "games" and "sanitation" together if they were adjoining puzzle pieces. However, if it's a game I know I'll be playing a lot (and thus keeping), then I don't bother sleeving unless something happens to the cards that requires it (liquid damage, obviously marked, ripped, etc.).

To the OP:
Do you intend to keep Viticulture? I wouldn't bother sleeving unless it becomes necessary. But only you can decide what that means, or even if you agree.

Like someone stated above, the cards are of good quality and are not prone to damage. I riffle all the decks and have yet to cause damage to any of the cards. Aside from that, card trays and card holders keep the cards out of sweaty hands and off the table during play. The sweaty hands, holding cards so that they're nearly rolled up, and potential spills (they're gonna happen) is what drives me crazy. I've earned a reputation for being picky about my games/cards. But just using card trays and holders, and component holders, I've become much more comfortable with playing my games in social settings. And those I play with are more comfortable too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my Viticulture: EE, Tuscany: EE, and Moor visitors all sleeved in premium sleeves, and all in just the Viticulture box (even with the metal coins, albeit with the insert removed). I sleeved because I could tell that with as much as we play this game, shuffling was going to wear out the cards really fast. Side shuffling with sleeves is much easier. The visitor stacks do get a bit precarious, but it hasn't actually been a problem yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn King
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
I sleeved mine with no trouble at all.
I put them back in the box on edge rather than flat, ignoring the inbuilt dividers. I use a small piece of foam core to separate the different types where a single type straddles two of the insert dividers.

As to whether it is worth it, only you can say. I find it simplifies shuffling as I can mash them together. I never mastered the riffle with the little cards.

What size sleeves did you use? I’ve got some damaged cards so I need to sleeve them now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.