United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret history mentions...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19038233#19038233
Quote:
Teacher wasn't a Reserve card originally. It got that to slow it down a little. Once you start giving out +1 tokens, your deck explodes.

I take it being able to pile on those 4 player tokens (+1 action/buy/card/coin), along with the other 2 (-2 cost and trashing) would've also made Teacher too powerful? I always figured that Teacher was kind of slow to get utilized sufficiently for more games than not, but I may be underestimating that "explosion factor".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
ackmondual wrote:
Secret history mentions...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19038233#19038233
Quote:
Teacher wasn't a Reserve card originally. It got that to slow it down a little. Once you start giving out +1 tokens, your deck explodes.

I take it being able to pile on those 4 player tokens (+1 action/buy/card/coin), along with the other 2 (-2 cost and trashing) would've also made Teacher too powerful? I always figured that Teacher was kind of slow to get utilized sufficiently for more games than not, but I may be underestimating that "explosion factor".

You aren't allowed to put tokens on cards you already have tokens on, because if you could you'd always do that and it would be less fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your question is really unclear. Are you asking why Teacher doesn't place the other two tokens you mention? Or are you asking why Teacher can't place a token on a pile that already has your tokens, or why Teacher is a Reserve card? The secret history answers that third question; it's to slow Teacher down (and as a bonus it eliminates tracking issues of placing your tokens mid-turn). Donald answered the second question.

Placing the –$2 Cost token and Trashing token with Teacher was not a thing that was ever considered. It would be more words on the card, since those two tokens work differently than the other four.

Or maybe you're asking specifically why you can't put Teacher tokens on piles with non-Teacher tokens? That's just because it's more words and won't matter in most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
Your question is really unclear. Are you asking why Teacher doesn't place the other two tokens you mention? Or are you asking why Teacher can't place a token on a pile that already has your tokens, or why Teacher is a Reserve card? The secret history answers that third question; it's to slow Teacher down (and as a bonus it eliminates tracking issues of placing your tokens mid-turn). Donald answered the second question.

Placing the –$2 Cost token and Trashing token with Teacher was not a thing that was ever considered. It would be more words on the card, since those two tokens work differently than the other four.

Or maybe you're asking specifically why you can't put Teacher tokens on piles with non-Teacher tokens? That's just because it's more words and won't matter in most games.
EDIT: As there's already been confusion, I'm asking why this was decided from a design standpoint, not how it works rules wise when playing the game.

Why you can't place a player token via Teacher on piles where you already have 1 or more of your player tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Why you can't place a player token via Teacher on piles where you already have 1 or more of your player tokens.
Because the Teacher says so:

Emphasizing: ...to an Action Supply pile you have no tokens on

Note that you are allowed to, e.g., call the Teacher to place your +1 Card token on an action pile where you have no tokens on and subsequently buy an event like Lost Arts to place your +1 Action token on. The events have no such restriction.

Furthermore, be aware that the trash token, placed by the Plan event, does count as a token. On the other hand, the Estate token, placed by the Inheritance event, is not placed on the action pile, but on a card that you set aside. Nevertheless, inherited Estates do not belong to that pile thus do not benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This suddenly makes me think of a rules question I never would have thought of.... do the rules clarify what it means for "you to have tokens on" a card? My assumption is that because of the "you", it will only look at the color-coded tokens that are of your own color. But is this assumption in the rules? Otherwise, one could think that if you put an embargo token on a pile, you have a token on that pile. Same with VP tokens from Gathering cards in Empires, or coin tokens from Trade Route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Because the Teacher says so:

This thread is in the general discussion instead of the rules section. Furthermore, I linked and quoted the Designer Diary.

As such, my question was to get details on the design of the card. Not how it works.

GendoIkari_82 wrote:
This suddenly makes me think of a rules question I never would have thought of.... do the rules clarify what it means for "you to have tokens on" a card? My assumption is that because of the "you", it will only look at the color-coded tokens that are of your own color. But is this assumption in the rules? Otherwise, one could think that if you put an embargo token on a pile, you have a token on that pile. Same with VP tokens from Gathering cards in Empires, or coin tokens from Trade Route.
Too lazy to look up the "proof", but the player tokens having color are done so to show ownership. There's no ownership to any of the VP tokens, nor Embargo tokens, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Picon wrote:
[q="ackmondual"]
[q="GendoIkari_82"]This suddenly makes me think of a rules question I never would have thought of.... do the rules clarify what it means for "you to have tokens on" a card? My assumption is that because of the "you", it will only look at the color-coded tokens that are of your own color. But is this assumption in the rules? Otherwise, one could think that if you put an embargo token on a pile, you have a token on that pile. Same with VP tokens from Gathering cards in Empires, or coin tokens from Trade Route.
Too lazy to look up the "proof", but the player tokens having color are done so to show ownership. There's no ownership to any of the VP tokens, nor Embargo tokens, etc.

Right, but the card doesn't say "a pile that doesn't have one of your tokens on it". It says "a pile you have no tokens on". There is a leap being assumed that in order for you to have a token on a pile, it means the token is yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Right, but the card doesn't say "a pile that doesn't have one of your tokens on it". It says "a pile you have no tokens on". There is a leap being assumed that in order for you to have a token on a pile, it means the token is yours.

It means the token is yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.