Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
The aim of this thread is to discuss the criteria we should adopt when nominating a game for the 2017 "Worsties" Award - the worst Kickstarter boardgame project for this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
I will start, I guess. Maybe if they fulfil 5 of the criteria they can be nominated for a worstie:

1. Lack of Prototype or Product to Show
2. Lack of Rules or Gameplay Video
3. First created Zero Backed
4. Spelling and grammar errors
5. Willing to work full time if the KS is funded
6. Copy of a previous game with few modifications
7. Convoluted funding levels

etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
jakkaof86 wrote:
I will start, I guess. Maybe if they fulfil 5 of the criteria they can be nominated for a worstie:

1. Lack of Prototype or Product to Show
2. Lack of Rules or Gameplay Video
3. First created Zero Backed
4. Spelling and grammar errors
5. Willing to work full time if the KS is funded
6. Copy of a previous game with few modifications
7. Convoluted funding levels

etc.

Point 1? This may be a little too strict. I've seen a LOT that have a dodgy prototype or a direct copy of a Monopoly board, that should probably still qualify as rubbish.

I'll also add some optional features:

- A trademark for their game
- Legal fees for copyright and trademarking
- Underestimated or non-existent shipping
- Ludicrous funding total
- They've already had hundreds of copies produced and stored throughout their house and garage
- Reviews exclusively from immediate family members and close friends
- Plans for worldwide tournaments
- T-shirts and coffee mugs with the game logo
- Educational value
- Excessive print run size
- Delusional ideas about how successful the game will be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Sounds good.

I didn't mean to sound too strict. It is why I suggested multiple criteria and just needing 4 or 5. There were probably allot of games that don't tick off some of these but are still rubbish, and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
- Shortest campaign page description.
- Most ludicrous and/or delusional campaign page description.
- The recently created/less created/less backed account award. That one might be hard as most are 1 created/0 backed but one of them was created on the day the campaign was published.
- Most blatant Cards Against Humanity cashgrabbing clone.
- The most (sexually) offensive campaign.
- Poor appreciation of where the market currently stands (ie people still want a Monopoly/Snakes & Ladders/Roll and Move game.)
- Grammatical apocalypse (well in France that would be a thing at least)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like most of the things on Bad Kickstarer Bingo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlicensed use of IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- add-ons or expansion from fan demand that make no sense in the theme of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben King
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
sounds like most of the things on Bad Kickstarer Bingo

How about that for a selection process?

Play Bad Kickstarter Bingo. If someone calls Bingo from just that one campaign - instant Worstie nomination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Risks and Challenges: "this project may be TOO successful."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny M
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha love it! Good on ya Craig!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-Creator shows unconditional praise/animosity for Republican/Democratic party as game's theme.
-More than one created but all failed or repeated attempts.
-Will only respond to people who are %100 excited for the game while even cancelling pledges who are only %99.99.
-Playing the race/sex/religion/political card and calling anyone who doesn't back the project any -ist.

This one alone will automatically qualify and negate the rest:
-BLAMING THE FAILLED CAMPAIGN ON GEEK AND SUNDRY, DICE TOWER, MAN VS MEEPLE, BBG, ETC. AND ATTACKING THEM ON THE SITE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Keane
Australia
Hawthorn
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key criteria should be that the game funded and was delivered.

Reading through the shambles of a rule book.
Staring at the appalling colour scheme chosen for the board.
Puzzling at the lumpy plastic units and trying to work out what they represent.
Regretting the decision that led you to playing even one session of a game.

Only with these things can you truly appreciate that a game is the worst ever.

Rewarding a steaming mess of a project that had no hope of ever funding is too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
grant5 wrote:
That sometimes depends on context. If project is for hand-made stuff, and if it's too successful then the waiting time could be very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe instead of making fun of uninformed and hapless people whose projects don't stand a chance you could find something in the garbage that actually makes it through.

Otherwise you're just being the snotty mean kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Having at least one thread in the game's forum that starts with, "What does this mean for ..."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- My game won this prestigious award that I just made up, myself.
- You have to come pick up the game.
- I'm a genius, and I have this great scientific theory that no one ever thought of before.
- All the world's ills are because people don't play games anymore; I've created this game to solve all that.
- No pledge levels actually include the game.
- Backers get to beta-test the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
- Backers get to beta-test the game.

That's called PnP ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a category for 'questionable / shady' business tactics?

CMON set a limit on how low retailers / online stores can reduce the price of their games. Then instead of selling Green Hordes for $100 they upped it to $120. Thus, increasing the low and high end of their games at the same time. Win-win for them, lose-lose for us.

No more CMON Kickstarters for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolkster wrote:
Is there a category for 'questionable / shady' business tactics?

CMON set a limit on how low retailers / online stores can reduce the price of their games. Then instead of selling Green Hordes for $100 they upped it to $120. Thus, increasing the low and high end of their games at the same time. Win-win for them, lose-lose for us.

No more CMON Kickstarters for me.

Your wallet has power. There are tons of other games, you can live without CMON's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this thread has attracted a number of people who don't appear to be regulars in the "Worst Ever" thread and don't understand the context at all.

People should refrain from posting criteria here until they have slogged all the way through the 200+ pages of that thread.

Many of these suggestions are WAY off base, and of course we have the people chiming in that we're being the "mean kids." shake

I propose a new thread where we figure out the criteria a person must meet before they can post criteria in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
grant5 wrote:
Wow, this thread has attracted a number of people who don't appear to be regulars in the "Worst Ever" thread and don't understand the context at all.

People should refrain from posting criteria here until they have slogged all the way through the 200+ pages of that thread.

Many of these suggestions are WAY off base, and of course we have the people chiming in that we're being the "mean kids." shake

I propose a new thread where we figure out the criteria a person must meet before they can post criteria in this thread.

I like the kickstarter bingo idea. Have 10-15 criteria and when a project hits 5 or so then they get a nomination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Hey, don't group me with those people, Simba. At least I subscribed shortly after my first post there(which I still look at)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Or the creator thinks that failing to fund is a worst case scenario for a kickstarter project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, not sure how it would fit into a category, but I always like seeing projects where the limited pledges don't add up to the funding goal.

I imagine that the creators think their project it SO good that people will just give them money to see it done (i.e.: they can't be bothered to fulfill more rewards, but still want that money)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.