Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The card says: "If you entered combat with at least as many unspent Move points as the number of enemies..."

Combat comes after movement, so I'm having trouble understanding how to use this card. What if I don't move at all, but then attack an enemy? Can I spend Move cards that I have to activate this ability (along with the required data, of course)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as long as you play the cards before combat begins. In other words, you generate movement points, and then don't spend them so that you'll have them stored up for the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never read the rules of Frontiers, but would have assumed the changes of Lost Legion with regard to such matters would have been incorporated into it.

But it seems Frontiers is really just based on the original Mage Knight? That's a little sad, if true And lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably better to read the rules before criticizing the game! The rules for movement and combat are different in STF. In MK, you move onto a spot to attack it--thus you could have unspent Move when you do so. But in STF, you attack adjacent things without moving onto them first. So my question was whether you could deliberately spend Move before attacking, and the answer is apparently yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they? I am more than happy to be proven wrong!

Nothing you write indicates that the rules are different. You could challenge rampaging enemies in MK without moving, you could use left over movement points in combat due to cards like Agility and pretty much the same question arose you asked here.

Lost Legion changed the rules so you can generate move in every phase, rendering the question moot, and at least in my opinion it is more elegant and makes more sense.

So it pretty much seems to me that Frontiers has the base game rules, modified only when necessary to accommodate the other changes made. If that is the case, it seems like a lost opportunity to me, but it sure is not hard to be believe that this is what happened.

Again, I would be glad to be proven wrong and see that Frontiers is actually further in development compared to Lost Legion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cityofsolitude wrote:
Are they? I am more than happy to be proven wrong!

Nothing you write indicates that the rules are different. You could challenge rampaging enemies in MK without moving, you could use left over movement points in combat due to cards like Agility and pretty much the same question arose you asked here.

Lost Legion changed the rules so you can generate move in every phase, rendering the question moot, and at least in my opinion it is more elegant and makes more sense.

So it pretty much seems to me that Frontiers has the base game rules, modified only when necessary to accommodate the other changes made. If that is the case, it seems like a lost opportunity to me, but it sure is not hard to be believe that this is what happened.

Again, I would be glad to be proven wrong and see that Frontiers is actually further in development compared to Lost Legion!

Check out

http://www.boxofdelights.net/star-trek-frontiers/

And

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1601038/rules-differences-b...

There's an expansion coming for frontiers too which I am assuming will mimic the expansions for mage knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The point I was making is that in STF you attack an adjacent starbase or Borg sphere, for example, WITHOUT expending Move to "enter" the hex. In MK, you must expend Move to, for example, attack a keep or tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
The point I was making is that in STF you attack an adjacent starbase or Borg sphere, for example, WITHOUT expending Move to "enter" the hex. In MK, you must expend Move to, for example, attack a keep or tower.

That seems pretty irrelevant, since it only covers attacks on fortified sites only (keep, tower, city), whereas there are countless ways in MK as well, where movement is not necessary (like rampaging orcs/draconum, various adventure sites, ruins, burning monasteries, etc. pp.).

You scolded me for criticizing the game without reading the rules, yet I haven't heard a single counterargument and it pretty much seems they just used the "old" rules again and refine them again with an expansion, which I personally think is a missed opportunity, which was my whole point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.