Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, as a new player to this game. We are confused as to play order and what we can and cannot do. Even reading the cards confuses us sometimes. This game seems more confusing than Fluxx.
(could just be us).
In anticipation that we would love the game (Munchkins is everywhere. we assumed it was an awesome game).
We bought a bunch of expansions, but simply reading the rules is confusing as hell.
Is there a place where we can learn what and how to implement these expansions into the base game?
Also is there a place that simplifies the rules of the base game?
Sorry if we seem dense, but I think there is a really cool game hidden in all these cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the expansions, you just shuffle in the cards. The rule sheet in the expansion will explain any new card types you have.

As for the main rules, the rulesheet tries to explain everything fairly comprehensively. What you need to understand is there is a certain flow of each turn, which starts with opening a door, handling that card in the manner explained in the rules (e.g., if it is a monster, fight it), then if you didn't fight a monster, you can either play a monster from your hand to fight it (Looking for Trouble) or draw a Treasure card instead (Looting the Room). Finally you should prepare to end your turn, playing any other cards you want to play and ensuring you give cards in your hand away as Charity if you are over your hand limit before ending your turn.

Beyond that, you just need to know when you can play certain card types (e.g., Race cards) or do certain things with cards in play (such as equipping Items). The sections within the rules explain what each of these card types is.

You may want a more visual representation of how the game plays, which can be derived from some spreadsheets I made a while back... Note that these sheets try to incorporate all the rules, so most of the steps in them can be skipped, especially for cards you don't have in your deck. These might be just what you need, though. They can be found here:

For printing on Letter sized paper.
For printing on A4 sized paper.

I do reiterate that asking specific questions about the card types you are confused about will allow us to help you a lot more, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you sir, this is pretty amazing work and the beginners guide is what we needed. We did purchase about 6 or 8 expansions and although we understand you just put the cards in their piles we have some cards that don't fit that scenario. I forget the name of the cards, but we have a set of cards that seem to be "dungeon" modifiers? Like for global changes.

Ill look in the box and get the names of all our expansions and although I know we need more time with the base game, I am very curious as to how these other expansions fit in. Jesus there is so much Munchkin stuff.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons are specifically for Munchkin 6 and some specific newer expansions. You indeed need to look at the specific rules for those expansions, as they are a new type of card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
To add 6-8 expansion from the very beginning is asking from trouble on any game. My advice is to start with only base game (or if you really need it base plus one or two expansion) and then start from there adding a couple new expansions each time. That way you also have new stuff each time (thats is one of the strongest points of the expansion in muchkin)

However bear in mind that popular game doesnt always mean good game (case in point monopoly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first, if your game doesn't have one, print yourself out a game board to keep track of your levels. Having a visual representation on the table is quite helpful.
next, watch to see how the game plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys. I saw that episode of TableTop and few other videos, sadly the quality of tabletop isn't something that is uniform across the board.
That's how we got our sense of how to play the game, by watching the show still doesn't cover all the little things that come up. For example I cant find anywhere where they go over what each of the expansions do. I realize we are not ready for all the expansions, but it would be nice to know what they do and what they are for.
Even if its later.

Ill play more than ask more specifically about expansions that stump us. Thank you guys.

I thought there was a website that had something like detailed descriptions about whats what or something. You guys know more about these things that most folks out there including stores like the complete strategist in NYC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Thank you guys. I saw that episode of TableTop and few other videos, sadly the quality of tabletop isn't something that is uniform across the board.
That's how we got our sense of how to play the game, by watching the show still doesn't cover all the little things that come up. For example I cant find anywhere where they go over what each of the expansions do. I realize we are not ready for all the expansions, but it would be nice to know what they do and what they are for.
Even if its later.

Ill play more than ask more specifically about expansions that stump us. Thank you guys.

I thought there was a website that had something like detailed descriptions about whats what or something. You guys know more about these things that most folks out there including stores like the complete strategist in NYC.

the thing with expansion is they will often make more sense once you have played the base game a few times and learned the flow. Unless you have someone to teach you, play the base game and only once everything is clear, worry about what to add in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a warning... There are a lot of play errors in the Tabletop video. Yes, they had Steve Jackson playing, but they really did mess up quite a lot of the rules at various points. It does give you a great idea of the flow of the game, but don't use it as a rules reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.