Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ash Night
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Husband and I just played Isle of Skye. What are some other games similar to it, but heavier and also good for two players?

We really like the streamlined nature of the price setting mechanic. So much juiciness in such a slick game play mechanic. And tile laying is fun!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Price setting and tile laying sounds like Castles of Mad King Ludwig to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
Price setting and tile laying sounds like Castles of Mad King Ludwig to me

I much prefer the price setting in Isle of Skye over Castles of Mad King Ludwig. In Ludwig, much of the value of the tiles is determined by hidden goals, so much of the valuation is not much more than a crapshoot. Plus I find some of the graphic design choices in Ludwig to be frustrating.

If you can find a copy of Peloponnes, it is a good game that combines tile laying with an auction and plays good with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Key Harvest is where the auctions of IoS was introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ashnight wrote:
Husband and I just played Isle of Skye. What are some other games similar to it, but heavier and also good for two players?

We really like the streamlined nature of the price setting mechanic. So much juiciness in such a slick game play mechanic. And tile laying is fun!

Thanks!

This may not fit but I think it's quite an interesting decision making game and it deals with laying down things infront of you but sometimes the decision are agonizing and that is the game Arboretum. I don't know if this game would work but perhaps Neuland if you play with the first edition rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ashnight wrote:

Thanks!

Another possibility might be Keyflower. Of course, if you like auctions and putting down tiles, you can always get into rail games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Akrotiri, which, while still a tile laying and goals game, has pick up and deliver instead of auctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cook
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

The wife and I like medium to heavy games that work well with 2. We like Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and we are also big fans of Ulm, Five Tribes, Panamax, Orléans, The Castles of Burgundy and Istanbul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Akrotiri. Surprisingly thoughtful game tile laying game that evolves some quite complex maps with an interesting market price system. Only plays two player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card City XXL is probably what you are after - it was a recent kickstarter that will hit retail later this year. Card City (the original) is available and probably a bit heavier than IoS but Card City XXL has lots of extra elements and options for more advanced play and is probably worth waiting for. I have only played the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.