Scott Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
Apologies in advance if this has been answered already. I already found a dozen answers to previous questions but not this one.

So "sub"-skills is my term for purposes of this question. I am using it to refer to skills that are based off of another skill, like Arcane, Divine, Perception, Survival, Fortitude, Stealth etc.

So lets say Harsk is making a non-combat Survival check (d6+2)and a Blessing of Shelyn is played. I am assuming that this adds two dice (for a total of 3d6+2) to his roll as it is a Wisdom roll.

Now lets say Marisiel is trying to make a Survival check as well. Her skill defaults to d4 as it's not listed on her card. What are the effects of playing Blessing of Shelyn on her check? As I only know that Survival is based off of Wisdom from seeing it on other cards am I even allowed to?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Harsk's Survival skill is based on Wisdom the blessing will add two dice. For Marisiel, the blessing would add only one die since her Survival skill is not based on Wisdom (or any other skill).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dayel wrote:
As I only know that Survival is based off of Wisdom from seeing it on other cards ?
Thanks in advance.

And this is not necessarily true either. The same sub-skill can be based on different skills for different characters. Arcane is a typical example of this, being Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma based depending on character.

So if you don't have a sub-skill its based on nothing and you just get a D4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
That's true and I thought of it after my post lol.

Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Mundane wrote:
Since Harsk's Survival skill is based on Wisdom the blessing will add two dice.

Why would this be the case?

If I remember correctly, the blessing would add 2 dice to a wisdom check. You are not doing a wisdom check. You are performing a survival check. The fact that you use your wisdom die to roll the survival check does not change the survival check in a wisdom check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Evil Brother wrote:
Mundane wrote:

If I remember correctly, the blessing would add 2 dice to a wisdom check. You are not doing a wisdom check. You are performing a survival check. The fact that you use your wisdom die to roll the survival check does not change the survival check in a wisdom check.

If I remember correctly, as long as you *have* the skill (under some attribute), a test for that skill will always count as a test of that attribute for these purposes. Only if you don't have the skill at all (so it has to default to d4) would it be a plain skill-only test that's not also an attribute one at the same time.

(My haphazardly remembered reasoning may be off, maybe it's not about skills at all and just a matter of "x die is involved, its an x test, no matter what else it is too")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:
Mundane wrote:

The skill you're using for a check plus any skill referenced by that skill are added as traits to the check. This appears in the Paizo FAQ (can't link as site is currently down) and is made explicit in rulebooks for other adventures (like Mummy's Mask).

Example from Mummy's Mask rule book, p11: If your character has skill Melee: Strength+ 2 and you are using your Melee skill both the strength and the melee traits are added to the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
The FAQ link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.