Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is just a simple comment. It is not intend to criticize anyone or any game.

I was just beginning to read the rulebook of Yokohama and saw this:
"Money can be made into change at any time."

It's funny. Would you think you could see this kind of remark in a rulebook 10 years ago? Of course money can be made into change at any time. Why not?

Then, there are games where you are forbidden to get change in some cases. But this is clearly stated in this games. This is the odd case!

But a board game culture is emerging in such a way that designers are feeling the need to tell the obvious in order to not mess the players' heads.

We found rules questions in BGGs forum where the user clearly read more than the rules say. They say "I am playing this way" and you can't find one single word in the rulebook that could imply that move. He just borrow that for another game he knows and took it for granted. I saw this today about Splendor. It's amazing the way that guy was playing! A game so simple with a rulebook so clear and straightforward!

But that's it. Designers will feel even more the need to over describe things to be understood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"1.0.0.1a. Units of currency may be exchanged for smaller units of currency at any time, provided the sum of units given and the sum of units received are of equal value."

Avalon Hill rides again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
"1.0.0.1a. Units of currency may be exchanged for smaller units of currency at any time, provided the sum of units given and the sum of units received are of equal value."

Avalon Hill rides again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have demoed games in Essen for many year. Believe me, there is absolutely nothing in the world that is obvious to everyone. While you might blame stupidity for some of it, it's mostly just lack of experience. On top of which, people come from different cultures and backgrounds, and the different experience can be due to that. Take a simple example:

Beginning with the starting player, gameplay proceeds in clockwise order.

That might seem obvious to many, many people, but certainly not to everyone at all.

In your example, you mention what's normal and what's the exception. Hardly obvious for someone who has only played two different games in their lives, one "normal" and one "exceptional"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
HilkMAN wrote:
Beginning with the starting player, gameplay proceeds in clovkwise order.

Well, unless you are Chinese...in which case gameplay often proceeds widdershins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
HilkMAN wrote:

Well, unless you are Chinese...in which case gameplay often proceeds widdershins.

Or Swiss. Or someone from one of a bunch of other places. Exactly what I was trying to say. Yokohama is from Japan, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Never, ever assume that anything is obvious to anyone, and always spell everything out explicitly in your rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
We found rules questions in BGGs forum where the user clearly read more than the rules say. They say "I am playing this way" and you can't find one single word in the rulebook that could imply that move. He just borrow that for another game he knows and took it for granted. I saw this today about Splendor. It's amazing the way that guy was playing! A game so simple with a rulebook so clear and straightforward!

Yes, reading the rules forums as you have done should demonstrate that no rulebook is ever complete enough to protect against some people.

Interestingly, attempting to be more complete might even then turn out to create confusion among others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
But a board game culture is emerging in such a way that designers are feeling the need to tell the obvious in order to not mess the players' heads.

GeekGold for that plural possessive apostrophe.

(although I now find I added it to the wrong post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a discussion over at Risk: Europe where a guy said the rules didn't say you couldn't move your castle from one area to another.....I said the rule book didn't say I couldn't use Disenchant or any card from Magic: The Gathering either.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once played a hand of Tichu with two active wishes. In one game, someone had played the One fairly late in the game and wished for something, but it turned out that all four of those cards had been played already. The group I played with (experienced Tichu players) pointed out that the rules didn't say that a wish is forfeit when a hand is finished, so it was carried over to the next hand, with priority over the new wish. That was weird, but kind of fun, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
There is a discussion over at Risk: Europe where a guy said the rules didn't say you couldn't move your castle from one area to another.....I said the rule book didn't say I couldn't use Disenchant or any card from Magic: The Gathering either.
whistle

This is the key point -- usually you *can't* do something in a game unless it says that you *can.* But as the OP points out, you often bump up against assumptions of what you can and can't do beyond the edges of the rules.

Example: in the trading segment of Bohnanza, you definitely CAN give the trader cards, and they can give you cards, and you MUST plant these immediately. When I was being taught the game (a couple weeks ago) we had a situation in which one player had a card to give but would not be receiving any cards in exchange. The giver said to the recipient "keep me in mind later," implying that a later trade would be a nice exchange for the card being given now.

In our recent game, I said to a player, in response for a potential gift card, that I would trade for any future copies of a certain card they could give me until I harvested that field. One of the other players objected to future trades.

The rulebook didn't say anything about making deals one way or another -- I assumed it was allowed, as such deals are often part of trading games. I suggested that we should follow the rules from Sheriff of Nottingham (and many other games) that any future promises need not necessarily be honored (as the rules didn't legislate that one way or another).

TL;DR - the question of making change is an interesting one, which some games explicitly disallow (Alhambra is one significant example). For myself, I would assume change is usually allowed unless the rules explicitly disallow it, especially if the money is open.

SECOND THOUGHT (whew, this is a long post!)
As a college instructor, I have a section of my syllabus that I think of as my boilerplate. It has a variety of rules about classroom decorum, such as asking people not to use cellphones during class, etc. Nearly every professor I know has a section in their syllabus like this, often sprinkled with idiosyncratic rules gained from experience. One person might disallow chewing gum because of a particularly annoying gum-smacker, others might be especially vicious about tardiness or laptops in class. I think rulebooks reflect similar issues from playtesting -- either some rule exists to correct an error that emerged in playtesting, or to clarify something that got asked during a playtest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
whistle

Also: The rules don't say that you can't win by simply declaring yourself the winner before anyone else does!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
:whistle:

I like to suggest this important moderating principle to keep in mind for all rules interpretation,

What is not stated in the rules is just as important as what is.

(which can work both ways - either inclusion or exclusion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Biensan
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Rule of thumb: if you feel the need to explicitely state that something is "obvious" or "common sense", it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
whistle

I can understand his point here. Throughout history nations have moved the capital city to a different location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
whistle

Also: The rules don't say that you can't win by simply declaring yourself the winner before anyone else does!
True. But I tend to prefer pointing out that the rules don't say I can't smack obnoxious players upside the head. People will just ignore you when you threaten to claim your win. They're more likely to rethink their stance if they believe I'll follow through with my threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TO me, the following are implied unless explicitly stated otherwise:

-no cheating
One game did state if you underpay but no one caught you, then you're fine!

-play goes clockwise
-person with the highest score wins
-if there's a tie, all those tied are winners
... or hold hands, skip down the sidewalk, and rejoice in their shared victory as some rulebooks like to elaborate into

-you can make change

-no skipping turns

-rolling a die means making it random enough
as opposed to dropping it from 1 inch above the table

-"he" can also refer to female players, or characters in the game

-DESPITE THAT OTHER THREAD GOING ON, I will count shuffling 1 card as a fulfilling that requirement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
HilkMAN wrote:

I don't know if I can speak for all Greeks, but every one I've met plays card games in counterclockwise order.

Pete (finds it confusing at times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
-play goes clockwise

Unless you are in Australia or New Zealand where everything is backwards

Anyway, the two-rulebook solution seems to work well for these issues. You have one rulebook that lays everything out in a clear readable fashion, then a second document/FAQ/etc. that clarifies all possible exceptions and questions that could come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:

Avalon Hill rides again!

I still really like (most of) my AH games.
They always manage to over explain some situations and under explain others.
Never really could find that balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Warner
msg tools
mbmb
I believe a well written rulebook will tell you everything you are allowed to do in play.

If it does not say (or through logic, imply) that you can do something, then you cannot.

If a situation comes up that is still ambiguous, time to ask for clarification, or make a house ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/104676/rules-should-be-ev...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
Beginning with the starting player, gameplay proceeds in clockwise order.

Clockwise as you look down on the table from above, that is. If you lie on the floor under the table and look up, play proceeds counter-clockwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just look at any Rules-subforum on this site - there are endless threads on questions that were thought obvious by the rulebook writer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.