Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Best Character combo for 2-player game ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Sibo
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Finally going to start a 2-character Myth game but want to incorporate 2 of the newer characters if possible. I have previously always played Myth with either 3 or 4 characters from the base game.

These games usually incorporate the Soldier as Tank/melee, Acolyte healer/ranged DPS, Apprentice and/or Brigand as the 3rd or 4th (yes no Archer).

Want to launch into a 2-character solo game but what characters would be best if I want to try and incorporate some of the newer characters. Could a Swashbuckler fill in as an adequate tank but would he need an Acolyte to survive or do you go with a pure DPS Como but can that handle a Boss encounter or do I just bite the bullet and play with 3-characters ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
IMHO the question is more down to, if you bring the Acolyte or not. He / she has an enormous impact on game difficulty given how difficult reliable healing is to come by (especially when starting fresh).

The Archer / Brigand with their potential for very high burst damage are extremely good against lairs / mini-bosses.

Apprentice and Swashbuckler excel at killing minions. "Walk among thorns" is one hell of a strong card. It also makes the Swashbuckler very mobile.
I think the Swashbuckler is not really suited as tank, as you will want to use most of his interrupts for "Walk among throns". Not doing so, will waste most of his potential.

The Spriggan can be a solid choice as a jack of all traits. He can tank, deal some solid damage and even heal. He'll need some time, though, to get into the game.

Trickster can be good, even imba, but is extremely reliant on good gear.

The Skald is wasted on a 2 player party.

The Hunter - well is the Hunter. With his current design flaws he is ok in a larger group, but not if you've to rely on him to pull his weight.

As a general rule, when playing with only 2 heroes, I would choose heroes, that work without having to setup complicated card combos. Focus on one hero, that can deal with minions at low AP costs (e.g. Apprentice and Swashbuckler) and one that can clear lairs fast (e.g. Brigand and Archer).
The "safe" choice will always be to use the Acolyte as the minion-killer.

On a personal note: I've played countless combinations of heroes and found them all to be fun. I would go with whatever heroes you WANT to play. IMHO that's more important than effectivness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the first 2 Acts of 'Stone of Life' solo with 3 Chars:

1) Swashbuckler
2) Archer
3) Brigand

It went quite well after I got to know the swashbuckler... it's very tempting to use him as a tank but that won't go well for you in the long run. But it is a lot of fun to go without a healer. Kind of a nail biter.

Hav to do the third act some of these days. Alas... my gaming table is in the kitchen... and that's the hootest room in my flat during the summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like the unconventional Archer / Apprentice combination. I don't know if it's the strongest but it's fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fighting bugs and you have no way to cure it and you get poisoned then you are guaranteed dead unless you can draw a green potion so you have to be prepared to except the beating.

To me Myth is very DnD like as far as character selection.
Playing a module that is heavy trap without a thief in DnD is like playing a myth module that is heavy bug without the acolyte or brigand.

The brigand can only cure poison and the acolyte can cure all status effects (namely frozen and cursed) as well as heal. This character makes your life much easier (that is why Tobi says the questions is whether or not to take the acolyte.

I have played many games with a no status removal group (swashbuckler/outsider for instance) and I either house rule the buy as many potions at a vendor, start them with potions, or let them suffer and let the chips fall where they may. Depending on if I am playing a module or just seeing how far I can get before they are toast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Acolyte and Soldier may be boring but the game just isn't balanced for just any combo. Not that you can't do it, but as the previous poster said, the poisoning is open ended so you will go downhill till you die without healing you may just not have. The soldier's ability to do damage and play the tank can also be critical. The Brigand has some healing but not very much but he is critical for Non combat action (traps for instance) tiles. He would be my choice for a third character.

The Archer and Apprentice are great characters with roles to play but not roles you can't do without. We didn't try the new JM characters so I can't comment on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why I am really looking forward to the Alchemist. Will be fun to have an alternative source of healing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with a 3 character party and run Swashbuckler, Outsider, and Acolyte.

The Acolyte is your healer and keeps any Undead from coming back to life.

The Swashbuckler excels at movement and killing multiple minions in one action, but can also tank with all of the Interrupt cards he has at his disposal. (He won't tank in the normal sense, instead he'll draw the mob to himself, then either redirect damage to make the mob kill itself, or simply move out of the way and avoid it altogether.)

The Outsider is now the hands-down, best assassin in the game. And he can wear heavy armor so you can use him to tank as well when need be. He also has a variety of buffs that he can provide the party (although not without risks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah but the OP wants to play a 2 player game. They have done a 3 player.
That is a great party though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:

The Outsider is now the hands-down, best assassin in the game. And he can wear heavy armor so you can use him to tank as well when need be. He also has a variety of buffs that he can provide the party (although not without risks).

i am confused, are there any restrictions on wearing gear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
davro33 wrote:

I don't know of any except that certain character types like the Acolyte and the Apprentice need their "shield" slot for a relic or focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
davro33 wrote:

No. There is no such thing as "heavy armor" in MYTH. I guess, he's just "damaged" by too much D&D, like the rest of us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
cador2 wrote:
davro33 wrote:

No. There is no such thing as "heavy armor" in MYTH. I guess, he's just "damaged" by too much D&D, like the rest of us... :)

Correct. What I meant to infer is that he would be apt to wear the same armor as the Soldier, the stuff that provides more bonus HP, which is represented on the card art as chain/plate mail. As opposed to items like some of the Blue armor cards that have lower HP bonuses offset by a special ability like +Shadows etc.

edit - (I don't remember if there is any Blue armor in Blackwall that is tailored towards the Outsider. My guess is there is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
yeah but the OP wants to play a 2 player game. They have done a 3 player.
That is a great party though.

At the end he asked "or do I just bite the bullet and play with 3-characters ?" which I think is best. As much fun as 2 players can be in the beginning, unless you're always playing the Acolyte as one of them you don't have a healer, which is going to make things nearly impossible against the more powerful bosses.

Consider 2 Heroes vs the Terror at stage 2. If 1 Hero needs to stay at range, than means that the other guy is taking all 6 attacks at 2 dmg a piece. Odds are he's going to die in the first attack or be critically wounded, and have no one to heal him.

It makes clearing Conditions a lot tougher too. I suppose in a 2 player game I'd just house-rule that an action card that heals one condition cures any condition, just to prevent things from getting stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't see the Outsider mentioned too much in this thread, but I found him really fun to play. I don't know exactly what he is, more like some kind of dark superhero I guess, so he doesn't fit the dungeon crawl stereotype but he is my favorite personality.

My only issue with him is I feel like I'm attacking the air more often then I should be. He can do cool hits on multiple targets and fling himself around the board, but it's difficult to actually be in the right situation to make the most of it. So, he spends a lot of energy just to take out a single minion sometimes :/

He also makes a good support character as he has a few cards that tend to make him soak up damage for others (Shrouded in Darkness, Surrogate and Derision), but he has no way to purge damage himself. I like managing Malice as well. Overall an interesting character, but in the end not the most effective fighter.

I don't even bother playing without the Acolyte anymore. He tends to become a central pinion during the game that really can make or break a battle sometimes. I don't mind though, I like him along as he also is fun to play.

You mentioned the new characters. I have played the Swashbuckler a couple of times but really didn't care for the experience. He does however start with a dual wielded weapon so you can play Rush right off the bat with him. I don't think I took advantage of that properly when I played him.

*Edit: I wanted to mention that there is an MCG video in the video section that explains the Outsider pretty well: The Outsider

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my very first game when I received my core Myth box, I just played the free form mode with the quest cards and choose the Soldier and Archer as my two heroes. I survived quite well for the first three tiles, but I was only facing grubbers and muckers. On the fourth tile I added some insects to the mix and with poison, things went downhill quickly.

I don't like the idea that we are always prone to taking the Acolyte in our party, only to make sure we can cure status effects and receive healing. I have often thought of making potions and cures available more frequently (at a cost of course) when not choosing the Acolyte. Perhaps allow Merchants to have multiples of any potions they have available....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
For my very first game when I received my core Myth box, I just played the free form mode with the quest cards and choose the Soldier and Archer as my two heroes. I survived quite well for the first three tiles, but I was only facing grubbers and muckers. On the fourth tile I added some insects to the mix and with poison, things went downhill quickly.

I don't like the idea that we are always prone to taking the Acolyte in our party, only to make sure we can cure status effects and receive healing. I have often thought of making potions and cures available more frequently (at a cost of course) when not choosing the Acolyte. Perhaps allow Merchants to have multiples of any potions they have available....

Well the Brigand can cure a condition too, but he can't do regular healing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:

I think one of the easiest things to do to modulate difficulty is to make potions more available,.... you could meet a merchant; or even create a basic merchant that is available after your first tile that has basic potions. I even have a figure that I use for this,...... Merchant cards is a huge design space that could be exploited by the owner/operators of Myth as well. I may just have to do some of this myself whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or make them something that you can carry over from session to session. Or a part of your starting gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Acolyte and Soldier may be boring but the game just isn't balanced for just any combo.

This was my impression after half a dozen random sessions fighting skeletons, insects and orcs. I'm sure other successful two player combinations are possible, but unless you're doing something to control the randomness, my experiences didn't end well experimenting with the archer and apprentice.

Like others, I do think the game's D&D roots (buried deep) do show in that you really need a party of 4 (covering the classic character classes) to have a truly balanced experience. If you're cutting it down to two, you need someone that can hit hard and take a beating (solider) and someone that has a bit of range (magic) and can also heal or buff (acolyte). On paper the apprentice seems like a possible option for a solider pairing, but when we tried the apprentice was just too squishy. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Harder
Germany
flag msg tools
yamato2 wrote:
I think one of the easiest things to do to modulate difficulty is to make potions more available,....

Adding the item expansion with white potion cards helps here a bit as well.

With that I like to play Brigand+Archer combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I played Apprentice / Archer like a very slow solo game of Mage Knight. I set up the table and would stare at the tiles and cards, working out the various options.

It might be the hardest combination to play, but if you've got the time and the patience, I found the challenge very satisfying.

On the other hand, they're probably not suited to a relatively fast-paced game among friends unless you're an expert at playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Darby_ wrote:
I played Apprentice / Archer like a very slow solo game of Mage Knight.

Is that a typo or did you make your own crossover between Myth and Mage Knight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No, I just mean I play it like a very slow, puzzly game like Mage Knight, rather than a relatively fast-paced social dungeon crawler with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.