Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the difference between a Eurogame (I think it called) and (I suppose) a western game?
I've heard the terminology but have zero idea what it means.

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurogames usually have no player elimination and try to minimize luck elements. They often are more abstract, with the theme kind of painted over:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame

American-style or "Ameritrash" games often are very thematic and rely on luck elements, and player elimination is possible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American-style_board_game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are just words and the lines are blurring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sixstrings4one wrote:

At this point, the lines really are blurring more and more as designers combine elements of theme and mechanics. Personally, I love both thematic and mechanical games, but the best games are the ones that marry the two - theme and mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurogames (compared to "American themed games") tend to be less random, less chaotic and use game mechanisms that are often deterministic.

Most eurogame themes have a tenuous or often, non-existent tie-in with game mechanisms, but not always. Themes often seen in eurogames tend to be relatively "peaceful" with less direct conflict between players. Farming, trading, exploration, transportation, logistics, and other economic themes are common.

American themed games more often tend to use game mechanisms that are less deterministic, that inject randomness, chaos and unpredictability into the game design.

Whereas eurogames tend to focus on the clever and efficient manipulation of game mechanics (and sometimes the game mechanics ARE the game), the best American styled themed games in my opinion, are better at providing a "narrative" derived from the game setting while still rewarding skillful play.

The two categories have blended together, with many "hybrid" game designs that have both strong theming while using game mechanics often associated with eurogames.

From your own collection:

Hybrid games would include in my opinion: Blood Rage, Mage Knight Board Game, Pandemic and Small World.

American themed games: Betrayal at House on the Hill, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition).

Eurogames: 7 Wonders, Splendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sixstrings4one wrote:

Agree 100%
People tend to split a lot of hairs on this site that don't really need to be split.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I usually think it rude to tell people to "do a search." But in this case... if you do a search, you'll find hundreds and hundreds of posts on the subject. And since there is no singular answer many of those posts give an interesting and slightly different perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again all.
I did do a search but I wanted to get it from (what I think) is a good source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a good read:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/27367/schools-design-and-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post. I'll be reading this tonight. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.