A4 Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Help with the rules needed! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really want to try this game (I printed the day the files were available) but after reading the rules I remain quite baffled. I understand what each icon does and how battle works but what I DON'T understand is how you move/do the actions.

I know you start to the left of the first tile and you roll the 4 dice for your dice pool... So the my first move would be to spend a die so I move to the first icon of the first tile (the green one), then another die to go to the blue icon, then another die for the yellow and then another for the move forward? Or do I have to pick one of these icons AND THEN move forward?

Also, for the second tile, one action is either yellow or green, another action is red OR blue and the last yellow or blue AND THEN purple?

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry if it is a stupid question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Niziołek
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The first thing you do during your turn is to move because you start next to the first tile, you move on the first tile. It's one big tile, you don't put your marker on icon only on tile You can choose either to HUNT, SEARCH, QUEST (or REST) - you can only choose one and use your hero dice accordingly. Then you need one hero dice of value greater than 1 to move to the next tile. This tile is divided into 3 space. You go through every of them so from 1 to 3 and on every space You can perform one action. First space You can HUNT or SEARCH (or REST). Than You move to next one here you roll adventure die and check if an enemy appears. After dealing with an enemy or he doesn't appear You choose one action to do QUEST (or REST). Then third last spot on this tile you can QUEST or SEARCH (or REST). After this next turn, you move you need hero die to move to next tile in the next row (starting from the first spot on the first tile on the right). Now is it clear ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NiZikn wrote:
The first thing you do during your turn is to move because you start next to the first tile, you move on the first tile. It's one big tile, you don't put your marker on icon only on tile You can choose either to HUNT, SEARCH, QUEST (or REST) - you can only choose one and use your hero dice accordingly. Then you need one hero dice of value greater than 1 to move to the next tile. This tile is divided into 3 space. You go through every of them so from 1 to 3 and on every space You can perform one action. First space You can HUNT or SEARCH (or REST). Than You move to next one here you roll adventure die and check if an enemy appears. After dealing with an enemy or he doesn't appear You choose one action to do QUEST (or REST). Then third last spot on this tile you can QUEST or SEARCH (or REST). After this next turn, you move you need hero die to move to next tile in the next row (starting from the first spot on the first tile on the right). Now is it clear ?

This is actually crystal clear, thanks a lot! Another question, in one space can i do BOTH Hunt (for example) AND Rest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Jagodziński
Poland
Gostyń
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giannis2 wrote:

This is actually crystal clear, thanks a lot! Another question, in one space can i do BOTH Hunt (for example) AND Rest?

No, you have to choose one. Action OR Rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kezia wrote:
Giannis2 wrote:

No, you have to choose one. Action OR Rest.

Perfect! I will try to test it today, hopefully I would do a video playthrough too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Toke
United States
Cleveland
OH
flag msg tools
mb
Would love to see a play though video. I'm a visual learner so this would help a lot on some of the same questions I had above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all thanks a lot for a free print and play game! It looks awesome and I am looking forward to the first game later today. In the meantime, a quick question regarding the rules:

If rewards are divided by a "/", does it mean you have to pick one of them or do you get both (all)? E.g. if you roll a 5 while questing, is the reward +1 Attack AND +1 Defense or do I have to chose one of them? Same question applies a Search result of 8, level up and crystals.

My guess is that you have to pick one, but want to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Jagodziński
Poland
Gostyń
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tunabrain wrote:
First of all thanks a lot for a free print and play game! It looks awesome and I am looking forward to the first game later today.

Thank you

tunabrain wrote:
In the meantime, a quick question regarding the rules:

If rewards are divided by a "/", does it mean you have to pick one of them or do you get both (all)? E.g. if you roll a 5 while questing, is the reward +1 Attack AND +1 Defense or do I have to chose one of them? Same question applies a Search result of 8, level up and crystals.

My guess is that you have to pick one, but want to be sure.

You always choose one reward. Same for questing, level up or crystals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Churly
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if i missed it in the rules, but what is the section for on the bottom left of the adventure card (under the experience points)?

I can see the sections to the right of that are for the rewards when you have maxed out crystals and levelled up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Churly
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prophecyblur wrote:
I'm not sure if i missed it in the rules, but what is the section for on the bottom left of the adventure card (under the experience points)?

I can see the sections to the right of that are for the rewards when you have maxed out crystals and levelled up?

As always having asked the question i think I've just seen the answer! Is it just a choice of one of those 3 at the beginning of the adventure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Jagodziński
Poland
Gostyń
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prophecyblur wrote:

As always having asked the question i think I've just seen the answer! Is it just a choice of one of those 3 at the beginning of the adventure?

Yes exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Churly
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks another clarification from a quick play through.

If you roll a level 8 enemy and have a penalty of losing 1 crystal.

What should happen if you currently have no crystals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Jagodziński
Poland
Gostyń
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prophecyblur wrote:

If you roll a level 8 enemy and have a penalty of losing 1 crystal.

What should happen if you currently have no crystals?

Then you do nothing because you don't have crystals You go straight to the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hancock
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quick dumb question:

When fighting the boss, you do not roll the adventure die and add it to the bosses' stats like you do a normal battle, correct? It says in the rules to 'Place the adventure die on the first spot 23 with value of 6 HP.' Then further on it states: 'The whole fight looks identical to the 'Fight against the enemy'... but it does NOT look identical if the player is to no longer roll the adventure die and add the result to the monster's stats. Which one is it?

Some typos: Setup Of The Game: Print any chosen hero sheet 2 (we recommend to start with the warrior) <- You mean the 'Horfire Greybeard KNIGHT hero, right? I believe it is the only one available at this time...)

Under the Horefire character page, right side of the page under Icons section, beside the skull icon it states: fight an anemy with modifier <- enemy, not anemy.

Well done with the game. I had a lot of fun playing it and lost in the last round to the boss (without rolling and adding an additional die to his stats). Great work and keep it up! I am already looking forward to the next adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Jagodziński
Poland
Gostyń
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slimeworm wrote:
Another quick dumb question:

When fighting the boss, you do not roll the adventure die and add it to the bosses' stats like you do a normal battle, correct? It says in the rules to 'Place the adventure die on the first spot 23 with value of 6 HP.' Then further on it states: 'The whole fight looks identical to the 'Fight against the enemy'... but it does NOT look identical if the player is to no longer roll the adventure die and add the result to the monster's stats. Which one is it?

You're right, rules bring confusion. You do not roll the adventure die and add it to the bosses' stats.

slimeworm wrote:

anemy with modifier <- enemy, not anemy.

Lol no comment Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
When finish combat the dice I used is exhausted right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Jagodziński
Poland
Gostyń
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archidelic wrote:
When finish combat the dice I used is exhausted right?

Right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Drew
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Game Designers of Carolina
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all of your dice are exhausted and you are at 0 food, I assume the game ends in a loss? Asking for a friend. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Niziołek
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
No, you can still reroll exhausted die but you lose 1 Hp for each die you reroll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Drew
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Game Designers of Carolina
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that makes sense. I saw that rule listed under Movement, but was that it applied to actions. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay my turn.

First congrats Pawel for the awesome artwork.

I have a couple questions:

I suck at rolling adventure die and always end up with a 3 or a 2. But I don't have a clue what a 2 does.
Apparently you fight a monster. Okay. So I roll the die and end up with a four. Now what happens:
- I apply the -1, resulting in a three, the monster doesn't show, I'm clear.
- I have a 4, the monster shows and it's a 2/2. I then apply the modifier (-1) so it's an easy kill.
- I have a 4, the monster shows and it's a 2/2. I then apply the modifier (-1) then roll a die to add to its attack and defense.

I'm quite confused with monsters in general.
- First I roll a die and see if it's showing.
- Then I resolve effects, if any (yeah losing a crystal).
- Then I toss a die and add the value to its attack/defense.
- Then I add the modifier on top.
Amiright?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Niziołek
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
the modifier next to enemy icon on the adventure sheet is added or subtracted from the value of the first adventure die roll - one which is determining if and what kind of monster appear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
NiZikn wrote:
the modifier next to enemy icon on the adventure sheet is added or subtracted from the value of the first adventure die roll - one which is determining if and what kind of monster appear

So if I roll into a monster in an adventure, none will ever show unless I roll a 5 and higher to begin with? Since it's -1, from 1 to 4 nothing shows up?

Also, basically if I roll 2 sixes in a row in the first tile (which I do a lot...) I'm basically dead before doing anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.