Subject: Invading the Low Countries this August... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

The BEF (myself and fellow Brit) will be arriving in Brussels on the 21st of August and departing on the 26th. We will have access to a car.

We are currently planning to visit some of the Ardennes battlefields/Waterloo and Arnhem.

This is really a call out to any Belgian/Dutch grognards (and any others with experience of these areas). Are there any military museums/historical nuggets that we shouldn't miss out on our trip?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A whole lot of them

I've organized some battlefield tours myself (Bulge, Market-Garden, Waterloo, WW1, Normandy) and have lots of documentation at home. Currently on holiday - Will contact you in 10 days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Remember to visit Eben Emael.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning museums in Arnhem dedicated to operation Market Garden I can highly recommend http://en.airbornemuseum.nl. It is situated in the former hotel Hartenstein which served as the HQ of the 1st British Airborne Division during the main part of operation Market Garden. In this museum (and also at the Tourist Information) you can get a map and make a walking tour through Arnhem to visit the places of interest (though there is not much left from the time period of september 1944, Arnhem has changed a lot since then). Enjoy your stay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find het Oorlogsmuseum (War museum) in Overloon, dedicated to WW2.

It is east of Eindhoven and north of Venray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are already an expert on Waterloo perhaps, I can strongly recommend, both reading beforehand and bringing with you, a copy of https://www.amazon.com/Fields-Glory-Battlefields-Campaign-Na...

Not only a decent account of the battle but integrated with a battlefield tour of the field, with lots of decent maps and diagrams. I took it on my last visit, and I have read widely on the Napoleonic Wars for decades, and got a lot more out of it.

Also, if you possibly can, bring a couple of bicycles with you. There are many battlefields where a bike is far more useful than a car when you get there. Often the roads are narrow and parking tricky and you can stop anywhere on a bike and view the scene or take a photo which you tend not to do if using just a car. Again I had previously just drove and walked and was exhausted by the end of each day, I would not go back to not using a bike once you get somewhere via car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent a whole week in just the Ardennes. I suspect the issue will be trying to condense as much as possible into such a relatively short trip.

If you have access to the maps from the Kampfgruppe Peiper HASL maps, it's fun to bring them along and compare them to the actual battlefields. We spent a day just re-tracing his route from the front line to the Stoumont/Chenuex area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We will be cherry picking because of the time issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lopez
Luxembourg
Hesperange
Outside the U.S./Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim,

In the Ardennes, go to Bastogne of course. I would recommend the Military Museum in Diekirch, Luxembourg, one of the best in the Ardennes I reckon.

Some more info on some points of interest including Band of brothers related stuff:
https://tanksandtrenches.wordpress.com/2012/12/28/battle-of-...

Even further south near Luxembourg city there is the US Military cemetery where Patton is buried, but if you are short of time I would skip it.

Unfortunately I am away at the end of August otherwise it would have been a pleasure to show you around...

David

PS: I can also second Eben Emael. Its just outside Maastricht which is a nice town in itself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toastiness wrote:
Hi Jim,

In the Ardennes, go to Bastogne of course. I would recommend the Military Museum in Diekirch, Luxembourg, one of the best in the Ardennes I reckon.

Some more info on some points of interest including Band of brothers related stuff:
https://tanksandtrenches.wordpress.com/2012/12/28/battle-of-...

Even further south near Luxembourg city there is the US Military cemetery where Patton is buried, but if you are short of time I would skip it.

Unfortunately I am away at the end of August otherwise it would have been a pleasure to show you around...

David

PS: I can also second Eben Emael. Its just outside Maastricht which is a nice town in itself...

Diekerch was very good IIRC, as was the La Glieze museum. I think the one outside Bastogne as expanded since we were there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lopez
Luxembourg
Hesperange
Outside the U.S./Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:

Diekerch was very good IIRC, as was the La Glieze museum. I think the one outside Bastogne as expanded since we were there.

The Bastogne War museum at the Marcasson was redone a few years ago. It still has hardware and equipment but it is more focused on the experience of war from the perspective of four fictional participants: two soldiers and two civilians. I found the animated scenes a bit hokey to be honest.

Diekirch is very much more hardware-centric with a few well done full size dioramas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I prefer the hardware approach, given a choice. Thanks for the heads up David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:

https://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/nl/tentoonstellingen/?gclid=CI-... for more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one and only Hougoumont

https://projecthougoumont.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Last year I went with my family to visit some of the more famous WW1 sites. To balance things out I thought it worth visiting a German site and decided to visit Lommel cemetery (mostly WW2). Apparently the Belgians made the Germans consolidate their cemeteries into just a handful of sites on Belgian soil, which means that the numbers involved are much larger than most of the Allied / Entente commemorative sites. The scale of Lommel really brought home the numbers involved. So, I just recommend visiting a site that gives the perspective of "the other" side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the book by John Waddy: A Tour of the Arnhem Battlefields. Nicely illustrated and full of information, both on the battle and the actual touring of the 'battlefield'. There is a map with numbered stands which then goes on to explain the portion of the battle that happened there. It also contains many accounts of the soldiers who fought there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tour-Arnhem-Battlefields-John-Waddy...

It's also cheaper than when I bought it several years ago and a Kindle version which is very good value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I own it But you are right, it's an excellent book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can highly recommend www.walkingwaterloo.com - but then I would
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
anijunk wrote:

https://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/nl/tentoonstellingen/?gclid=CI-... for more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So one day at Waterloo, one at Arnhem and one at Bastogne; sounds like you ought to add Verdun to the agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the fortress town of Liege!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.