Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello best community in the world

I need your advice: I was thinking about buying Mansions of Madness: Second edition but i kind of get the feeling that the app could ruin the "Board game experience" since a lot of what is going on seems to happen in the app. This even gave me the thought that basically you wouldn't even need the physical parts and could just play the game with the app. I mean the board just helps as a visualization of what is going on in the app.

I have to say, i would not like that at all. Can you share your experiences if the game still feels like a board game or if the app plays the main role? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely feels like a board game to me. While the app does have a big role to play, the game cannot be played without the physical components. I think they got the balance just right in this game. The app enhances the game but doesn't replace it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly my thoughts. That's why I am sticking to the first edition.
The 2nd Edition felt more like a videogame with a boardgame for
visualisation purpose. That isnt my cup of tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
I personally like the app very much. It works as a very atmospheric soundtrack and does most of the bookkeeping.
Best thing about it is that most of the time you don't have all the map layed out already but the app is moving monsters in parts of the map that are still hidden. This really works well in terms of world building.

Regarding your concern that you won't need the physical components:
It's done in a way that you can't play the game with just the app since it doesn't keep track of investigators and monsters after the first time they appear.

I think of the app as a combined deck of cards. It's pretty much just automating the cleanup phase:
first: draw a random card for each monster to determine if and how it attacks
then: draw a random card from the mythos deck to determine who becomes more insane
then: draw a random card for each investigator that's in range of a monster to determine how it affects him
End of mythos phase

This phase could have been done just like that but the app does it better by hiding these steps somewhat. Still, it's personal preference. I heard that people actually enjoy the amount of deck of cards in Arkham Horror and the like.

Oh, and no, I don't think it feels like a videogame. I don't think there is much of a difference reading a card or reading from your tablet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
PS: if you're still worried just download the app and start up the first scenario. Keep playing around for a turn or two to check what the app actually does.
If it's not to you're liking don't buy the game. Another thing this app is good for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The app enhances it incredibly. It is generations better than first edition.

The app essentially works as your scenario book, but all of the option and tables are completely hidden from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMunky wrote:
This even gave me the thought that basically you wouldn't even need the physical parts and could just play the game with the app. I mean the board just helps as a visualization of what is going on in the app.
That's exactly the impression it gave me, too.

Which makes me doubly dislike that I'm expected to pay hundreds of dollars for dozens of unneeded minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone getting the impression that the app can replace the board game could not have it more incorrect. The app more or less replaces what would have been a thick book with setup instructions and flavor text on pages. It also replaces what would have been dozens of damage counters.

That's it.

You VERY much need the physical components to play the game. You VERY much do all of your playing on the table. The app replaces an instruction book and tracks monster damage. It's a bookkeeping-reducer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely different than a straight board game, but there is no question that it is still a board game.

The 1st edition basically had many, many decks of cards and a lot more upkeep of physical components in place of the app. In the 2nd edition if you attack something you choose the type of weapon, and the app immediately gives you the test you need to make and a flavorful result. In the 1st edition the whole end result, a flavorful result based on the weapon type was the same, but it required a bunch of micro decks of cards. This is just one example.

I only play this game co-op with my girlfriend, and I'm not sure if I'd want to mess with the app in a bigger group, but I like what it does and have no real desire to deal with the monstrous pile of cards in the 1st edition, ever.

Honestly, I would like to see FFG redo Arkham Horror with a similar interface to get rid of all of the cards and upkeep crap in that game as well, but I'm not sure if they will ever do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally play MoM 2nd Ed. in a group of 5 and it works just fine. We even have fun alternating who gets to read the flavor text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Anyone getting the impression that the app can replace the board game could not have it more incorrect.

Extremely important point.

Its is your scenario book.

Can you play MoM without a board and just a scenario book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
Collection Account wrote:
Well... You don't put the scenario book in the corner of the table and everyone stares at it reading for half the game. If they did everyone would complain the scenario book was too dominating.

We don't do that with the tablet running the app either. Usually someone is operating it, reading all the texts to others. That ways it really is just a pimped-up scenario book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played several games and couldn't agree more with the comments already made here.

The app does:
- Add to the betterment of the over game by creating an excellent roleplaying experience.
- Reduces bookkeeping 10 fold over the first edition.

The app does not:
- Take away from the board game feel, it does feel like you playing a board game.
- Negate the need of the physical board game; the components are still very much needed.

If you enjoy a game bogged down by bookkeeping, buy the first edition. Otherwise, buy the second edition, you won't regret the purchase.

Personally, I wish more games designers did what FFG did with MoM. If DnD games and RPGs like original Ravenloft, Castle Ravenloft, and others had an app that could be enjoyed solo and by a group while balancing and enhancing game play, I would buy then without a second thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like hybridized video/board games. I vastly prefer the pure analog experience of social interaction across a dumb, physical object, a welcome respite from our overwhelmingly digital world. Time away from screens where eyes are on faces, not devices. Also, a purely analog game can be played in the ruins of civilization a hundred years from now; an app not so much:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
In my opinion it still feels like a board game, but you can see from this thread that opinions vary. I think your best bet is to watch a run through and see for yourself. Both Rahdo and Watch it Played have run through which should give you an excellent feel for the role of the app as well as the gameplay itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection Account wrote:
Well... You don't put the scenario book in the corner of the table and everyone stares at it reading for half the game. If they did everyone would complain the scenario book was too dominating.

If you spend time looking at the MoM2 app that much during play... well... something is really, really wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
Honestly, I would like to see FFG redo Arkham Horror with a similar interface to get rid of all of the cards and upkeep crap in that game as well, but I'm not sure if they will ever do it.
You mean like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.