England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
When replying to this thread, please use spoiler tags
If you're writing about something that happens part way through the legacy experience. To do so, click the SP button or type [ o] [ /o] without the spaces to hide what's between them, you can use preview to check it worked before submitting. I can't make you, but please respect your fellow geeks with this simple change. Thankyou.

No Spoilers Section - Questions and clarifications on the initial box, rules and Prologue before the campaign.

Is it required to have played or own Season 1?

No, it's a stand alone, independent game experience. That being said, in my opinion season 1 is a great experience and you should go play it

What's the difference between the two boxes?
There is no difference in the contents of the boxes, only the box art and the art on the cover page of the rulebook are different.

Do I really have to do irreversible things to this game when playing it?
You are supposed to yes, however there are ways to preserve the game if you go to great lengths to do so.

Easy to miss rules and helpful hints

Starting place:
As opposed to regular Pandemic, here each character starts in its home Haven! Not everyone in the same place.

Produce supplies card:
It's pretty clear but not everyone notices: you MUST be on a Haven or Supply center to use this card.

Supply cube limit:
There is NOT a limit in supply cubes on any location. Population only matters when using the "Produce supplies" card. You can place 12 supply cubes on a 3 population city if you want.

Plague cubes:
If a city has plague cubes on it, you can STILL PUT SUPLLY CUBES on it! So when you draw an infection card, you remove supplies cubes instead of adding plague cubes.

Outbreaks:
If an outbreak occurs, YOU DO NOT ADD PLAGUE CUBES to every adjacent location. Instead, you remove supply cubes from there... If there are none, add a plague cube, obviously.

Epidemic:
If there are no supply cubes on a city where an epidemic occurs, nothing happens. DO NOT place a plague cube.

Job skills:
Many job skills can be used only ONCE per turn, and they state it very clear, but people don't read it carefully.

Incident marker:
Always remember to move the incident marker when placing a plague cube on the board.

Game setup:
Follow the game setup steps in the EXACT ORDER it is shown on the manual. Don't do it from memory, you will confuse with original Pandemic.

Game end steps:
The same: follow the steps as they are shown on the manual. Don't try to memorize it.

Prologue Objective:
The objective to build three supply centers is color-independent, i.e. you don't need one in each color.

Spoilers - Legacy Deck Card 03-01b
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Q:On card 03-01b in the legacy deck (perimeter report at the start of the game), it says "if you have not opened box 67, scratch the first box below." Are we also supposed to scratch the second box as well?

A: Don't scratch the second box until you have instructions to do so.

Spoiler for what the second box is:
It actually says “We didn’t tell you to scratch this” if you do scratch it off!

Spoilers - Start of May

Q: If it's impossible to complete enough objectives what do I do?

A: If it is impossible to complete an objective, complete as many as you can and count it as a win.

• [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
It's back! The goal of this thread is to grow a compiled, easy to reference FAQ with all Spoilers Hidden and revealed only via deliberate choice. Somewhat similar to Season 1. I'll aim to keep the main post updated regularly. It only becomes a large chore to update if I leave it too long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Sneaky trick: thanks to the baroque wonders of Unicode, you can use a zero-width space when talking about the [​o] and [​/o] tags. Like so. It doesn't show up, but it stops BGG recognising them.

It's also worth emphasising that, when using spoiler tags, people should (a) say what it's a spoiler for, but (b) avoid giving spoilers in the process. For Season One, "early/mid/end of [month]" or "package [n]" were good spoiler designators; I wonder if any insider is allowed to suggest spoiler designators suitable for Season Two yet, or whether we're going to have to wing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Sneaky trick: thanks to the baroque wonders of Unicode, you can use a zero-width space when talking about the [​o] and [​/o] tags. Like so. It doesn't show up, but it stops BGG recognising them.

It's also worth emphasising that, when using spoiler tags, people should (a) say what it's a spoiler for, but (b) avoid giving spoilers in the process. For Season One, "early/mid/end of [month]" or "package [n]" were good spoiler designators; I wonder if any insider is allowed to suggest spoiler designators suitable for Season Two yet, or whether we're going to have to wing it?
Thanks for those tips. I'm hoping to play through the campaign with friends relatively quickly relatively early on which should hopefully help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beecher Greenman
msg tools
mb
clivej wrote:
I wonder if any insider is allowed to suggest spoiler designators suitable for Season Two yet, or whether we're going to have to wing it?
Not an insider, but judging from the photos of the board, it looks like most of the same designators should still work, with just a couple extensions:

Spoilers for Released Photos of Game Materials
- Packages still exist, and still have numbers (references to "Package 1" and "Package 4" are visible on the game board in whrt appears to be its initial state).
- Months are back, including an extra "month" called the Prologue that takes place before January (there's a list on the board, like in S1). No word on if Early/Mid/Late still apply, but it's probably a pretty safe assumption.
- There are two spots labeled "10" and "11" by the list of months, after December. I am guessing that "Spot 10" and "Spot 11" are linked to something big, but I don't know what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base rules restrict drawing from the Legacy Deck to the start and end of games, so it looks like "start of {month}" and "end of {month}" will suffice for straight Legacy Deck questions. The starting board has instructions for opening 5 packages through Recon actions, so it looks like packages will be opened midgame, but can be spoilered for "package {n}". Turning points apply at the ends of months where some condition was met, but are numbered, so "turning point #{n}" is probably the best we can do there. The rules make clear that there are turning points, but not how many, so a spoiler for "turning point #57" would be a mild spoiler that there are that many turning points, but I don't see any way that can be avoided.

There are also several places on the board that look like they may sprout stickers later - next to the on-board calendar and down by the map key. On the other hand, it seems likely they'll be tied to other events that we already know how to tag - recon, month, or turning points

I've only played through January so far, so it's possible the wheels will come off later in the campaign, but, based on the rules my best guess for suitable spoiler tags would be:

Package {n}
Start of {month}
End of {month}
Turning point #{n}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steinbrenner
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSpooniest wrote:
Spoilers for Released Photos of Game Materials
- There are two spots labeled "10" and "11" by the list of months, after December. I am guessing that "Spot 10" and "Spot 11" are linked to something big, but I don't know what.
Maybe use board, as there are 4 spots in the legend and one (number 15) in the infection discard area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First question! (No spoilers not in the rulebook, so I don't think I need to hide it.)

Is the prologue game easy if played and understood correctly? We won it handily in a 2-player game, which makes me worried I might have missed a rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
First question! (No spoilers not in the rulebook, so I don't think I need to hide it.)

Is the prologue game easy if played and understood correctly? We won it handily in a 2-player game, which makes me worried I might have missed a rule.
Yes, the prologue isn't too difficult and is easier than January due to the changes listed on the Prologue card and what you'll find when you start January.

Also, are you playing with two characters? Pandemic is generally considered easier with a smaller number of players. Many 2-player teams use a variant of four characters (2 each) to increase the difficulty and variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadm wrote:
Also, are you playing with two characters? Pandemic is generally considered easier with a smaller number of players. Many 2-player teams use a variant of four characters (2 each) to increase the difficulty and variety.
We were playing with 2 characters. I guess that's another question: Is Season 2 also easier with just 2 characters, or are there balancing mechanisms? (That's a spoiler to answer.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Daley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the prologue with two players four times and won it easily all four times. I played it with four players three times and lost twice and barely one once.

Four players is definitely harder. Not sure if it gets easier with four players as the map gets larger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Müller
msg tools
mb
I have a question about the radio operator (I guess no spoilers necessary).

When can he use his ability? Can he distribute cubes whenever he wants, or does he have to be in the same city as another player to trigger the distribution action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfstone2 wrote:

When can he use his ability? Can he distribute cubes whenever he wants, or does he have to be in the same city as another player to trigger the distribution action?
Radio operator can use their ability as a free action on their turn. They do not have to be in the same city as another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfstone2 wrote:

He can do it any time during his action phase - so after he's checked for exposure, and before he draws his 2 player cards. It can be done before or after any of his other actions that turn, and as many times as you like (within reason).

In effect, during the Radio Operator's action phase, all the supply cubes on player characters are shared - the only time they can't be redistributed is during another action. There's also no point having the Radio Operator finish his action phase holding any supplies (unless he gets an Event or other out-of-turn action that could use them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Franklin
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about outbreaks. do you increase the incident Track by one for an outbreak even if it does not result in any plague cubes being placed on the board? Because it is possible to have an outbreak where none of the connected cities result in having a plague cube placed. Does this mean the incident track does not get moved for that infection?
The rules state that you only increase the incident track one for every plague Cube placed. It would seem that this means this situation is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
ososnilknarf wrote:
Question about outbreaks. do you increase the incident Track by one for an outbreak even if it does not result in any plague cubes being placed on the board? Because it is possible to have an outbreak where none of the connected cities result in having a plague cube placed. Does this mean the incident track does not get moved for that infection?
The rules state that you only increase the incident track one for every plague Cube placed. It would seem that this means this situation is possible.
Yes. The rules state you move the Incident track every time you place a cube. If there is an Outbreak, you do not "place a Cube" by itself. So if the connecting cities had supply cubes and you did not place a plague cube, you do not move up the Incident marker.

At least, that's my understanding. It never came up in my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
ososnilknarf wrote:
Yes. The rules state you move the Incident track every time you place a cube. If there is an Outbreak, you do not "place a Cube" by itself. So if the connecting cities had supply cubes and you did not place a plague cube, you do not move up the Incident marker.

At least, that's my understanding. It never came up in my game.
This did come up in one of our games. Lagos had an outbreak but the connected haven and city both had supply cubes. So we didn't have to place any plague cubes. So we DID NOT move the incident marker.

The rules only say to move the marker when a cube is placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to start March, question about cards:

So you can scratch off hidden abilities on some of the cards. However,
when can you use these? There was one that said you can put 2 cubes on Chicago. Can this ability be used any time? Does it take an action to do?
Do you have to discard or destroy the card once you do it? I can't see rules for this anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
tigerwalms wrote:

when can you use these? There was one that said you can put 2 cubes on Chicago. Can this ability be used any time? Does it take an action to do?
Do you have to discard or destroy the card once you do it? I can't see rules for this anywhere?
There are two different types of results from searches. You can get a "Companion" which has a picture with it. Those may be used at any time in any game. If it tells you to play the card, you discard it (treat it as a Rationed Event, it doesn't take an action to play by itself). If they are not a "Companion" then you only get the ability when you used it. After that, it's just a Player card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
tigerwalms wrote:

There are two different types of results from searches. You can get a "Companion" which has a picture with it. Those may be used at any time in any game. If it tells you to play the card, you discard it (treat it as a Rationed Event, it doesn't take an action to play by itself). If they are not a "Companion" then you only get the ability when you used it. After that, it's just a Player card.
That's great, thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Here are a few questions that haven't been answered yet. Examples go into spoilers when appropriate.

1.) Character abilities DO stack, provided they do not interfere with each other. The Farmer's job that allows for an immediate Deliver Supplies during a Make Supplies action may stack with the Courier's ability to place supplies on an adjacent city during a Deliver Supplies.

Package 6 and South America spoilers
The Immunologist's ability does stack with the Portable Anti-Viral Lab and the OPAL lab bonus. You can discard that card while in a haven or supply center to get five cubes from the reserve for one action.

December spoilers
The Carrier scar prevents movement of ANY kind that does not involve the Drive/Ferry action. This includes other players moving the pawn, such as the Administrator job. It does, however, stack with the Helmsman ability.

2.) Free actions can be done at any point during the Action Phase. However, a player may not undertake their own free action on another player's turn. The Radio Operator's Transfer Supplies ability only works on his own turn.

3.) New game rules take effect IMMEDIATELY.
Package 4 spoilers:
Once Europe is recon-ed, you may immediately use the Shuttle Flight action, even if the player who recon-ed Europe has additional actions that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Pablo Vargas Seguel
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I would like to suggest some clarification about many rules that people have overlooked, and they are NOT SPOILERS as they are directly from the rulebook before the campaign:

Starting place:
As opposed to regular Pandemic, here each character starts in its home Haven! Not everyone in the same place.

Produce supplies card:
It's pretty clear but not everyone notices: you MUST be on a Haven or Supply center to use this card.

Supply cube limit:
There is NOT a limit in supply cubes on any location. Population only matters when using the "Produce supplies" card. You can place 12 supply cubes on a 3 population city if you want.

Plague cubes:
If a city has plague cubes on it, you can STILL PUT SUPLLY CUBES on it! So when you draw an infection card, you remove supplies cubes instead of adding plague cubes.

Outbreaks:
If an outbreak occurs, YOU DO NOT ADD PLAGUE CUBES to every adjacent location. Instead, you remove supply cubes from there... If there are none, add a plague cube, obviously.

Epidemic:
If there are no supply cubes on a city where an epidemic occurs, nothing happens. DO NOT place a plague cube.

Job skills:
Many job skills can be used only ONCE per turn, and they state it very clear, but people don't read it carefully.

Incident marker:
Always remember to move the incident marker when placing a plague cube on the board.

Game setup:
Follow the game setup steps in the EXACT ORDER it is shown on the manual. Don't do it from memory, you will confuse with original Pandemic.

Game end steps:
The same: follow the steps as they are shown on the manual. Don't try to memorize it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Badtke
msg tools
Hey guys, i have two questions.

The first one is an general rule questions about the objectives.
Are we allowed to complete more than number needed?
For example: We are told to complete three objectives and there are five in the game. One of them is mandatory. Could we complete three of the optional objectives and after that the mandatory one? Or will the game end if we complete three of the optional objectives so that we lose automatically.

The second question is about the end of february - SPOILER

We got the permanent supply center stickers and used one of them. Will the population of the city with that permanent supply center increase at the end of the following games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirjam Molenkamp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
First question: yes you can fulfill more objectives, the game will not end until you either win (by fulfilling 3 or more, including the mandatory), or lose because of incidents or time running out.

And for your second: yes it does. For all games to follow. So bad stuff there is not that bad anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stamp
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the game only ends when all mandatory objectives andthe number of objectives required is achieved so you can complete more than necessary.
This can also happen in other ways (I’ll say march spoilers but very mild):
you could have the mandatory objective, 2 searches and one city connected. By doing a recon, you would complete a third objective but also connect a new city so you end with 4 completed objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |