Subject: 2 questions (chef solo and special workers/papa interactions) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Why is the Chef special worker removed for solo play? I realize it's a bit stronger than in multiplayer, but there's still a chance the automa would get to place the bumped worker in a future season where otherwise it had ran out of workers. Yes, it can't place again if you use the Chef in winter, and it might not anyway depending on the automa cards, but so what? There are many visitor cards that are stronger in solo than in multiplayer, like all the ones that give you a benefit and also give your opponents choices, and yet they're not removed.

2. If I get one of the papas that let me start with an extra worker, can I pay $1 to upgrade it to a special worker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
kroen wrote:
1. Why is the Chef special worker removed for solo play?

I didn't know that this was the case. Where is this mentioned?
Quote:
2. If I get one of the papas that let me start with an extra worker, can I pay $1 to upgrade it to a special worker?

From the rules: "When training a worker, you now have the option to pay 1 additional lira to train one of the available special workers instead
of a regular worker."

You aren't training a worker when receiving the workers for the papa, so you don't get the option to pay to get a special worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the last page of the rules: "Remove the following special workers from the game: Chef,
Innkeeper, Merchant, and Soldato."

All the others make sense, Chef not so much IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:

I can't speak for the designers but it seems to me that the whole purpose of the Viticulture Automa is to block certain actions from the player to make it more challenging to run your engine and replicate the actions a second human player would take. By having the chef in the game, it would effectively let the player ignore one of the automa workers which may be make the game a bit too easy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
kroen wrote:
From the last page of the rules

Funny, my downloaded copy didn't include that page. Maybe my version was old or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother is correct about this: "You aren't training a worker when receiving the workers for the papa, so you don't get the option to pay to get a special worker."

I'm pretty sure Charles is correct about his Chef reasoning, but Morten may chime in with more details about why the Chef was removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charleaux wrote:
kroen wrote:

I can't speak for the designers but it seems to me that the whole purpose of the Viticulture Automa is to block certain actions from the player to make it more challenging to run your engine and replicate the actions a second human player would take. By having the chef in the game, it would effectively let the player ignore one of the automa workers which may be make the game a bit too easy?

I don't have the exact rule text of the chef available right now and I also don't have any memory available right now of why I made that decision back then .

That said, your explanation sounds right, Charles. If you bump out a worker belonging to a human player it will be placed again later that year, but that won't happen with the Automa, since it normally doesn't run out of workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. Guess I overestimated the likelihood of the automa running out of workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Fair enough. Guess I overestimated the likelihood of the automa running out of workers.

Or I underestimated it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.