Thumb up
1 Posts

Clue Master Detective» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Master Detective with 9 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Clark
flag msg tools
Friday 13 July 2007 and Clue: Master Detective was played. I have written elsewhere on the merits of MD vs regular Clue and this game only confirmed those thoughts.

The 9 players were:

Alise (14)
Jessica (12)
Sophie (10)
Ben (14)
Josh (12)

We all had three cards each.

Nine players REALLY challenges your record-keeping system, and this is exactly where the game is won and lost. Most guesses are met with several "I can't help" responses, so the information flows think and fast, at least early on.

I was making good progress, until after about 45 minutes I discovered that I had already marked Ben off for having the Dining Room and suddenly it seemed he must have it. Jeanette was also surprised at that point and so perhaps Ben had erred earlier in not showing a card he had, but no-one could be sure and he denied it.

Anyway, this meant that I now had Ben down for FOUR cards, and so tried to resurrect my record system, but it was tough. What I should have done was target Ben's cards on my turn and made every effort to discover what he did in fact have.

At about an hour Josh made a wild accusation and was wrong for all three cards.

A couple of rounds later I decided that I could not get any closer than what I had so I made my 'best guess', which turned out to be wrong.

Jeanette then had a try, and was also wrong. At this point I though that the game may go forever, since Jeanette and I had the best systems, and the others were a fair way away.

Sophie, however, had played a simple record system and made a correct accusation, ending the game at almost 2 hours.

I did go on for a bit too long, but with 9 players it was not too bad.

Making a mistake in your record keeping is disasterous. What I need to do next time is simply keep a complete record of every guess made and the responses, so that if things go wrong then I can reconstruct the entire record again. It would also keep a record to check if someone has erred in now showing a card.

Anyway, I thought that the game was a success and am keen to try again. Clue scales very well, since you are always discovering information even when not your turn.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.