Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am getting close to finishing my studies and I want to get started writing my diploma thesis. I really want to write about board games and i am playing around with the idea of writing about how they influence culture and society and vice versa.

I am afraid I will not find many publications about it, so I wanted to ask if you guys know of publications I might not have come across, or if you have any other ideas how to approach this. Or if I should choose another topic entirely...

I am happy about any input, so please feel free to add any information, thoughts and concerns.

Thank you all,
Lukas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nowuseeme
Greece
Kalamaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Lukas,
With a small google search about tabletop games, you can come across with some thesis already made about some aspects of it. I am sure you can find much more with more detailed search and you can find it easy especially for the historic part/chapter of the thesis. Tabletop games exist since the dawn of civilization, mesopotamia had them, I know for sure ancient greece had them and certainly other ancient cultures too. As for the most modern and current approach BGG users can help you via polls and questionnaires.
Good luck and best results
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
flea4 wrote:
Hi,

I am getting close to finishing my studies and I want to get started writing my diploma thesis. I really want to write about board games and i am playing around with the idea of writing about how they influence culture and society and vice versa.

I am afraid I will not find many publications about it, so I wanted to ask if you guys know of publications I might not have come across, or if you have any other ideas how to approach this. Or if I should choose another topic entirely...

I am happy about any input, so please feel free to add any information, thoughts and concerns.

Thank you all,
Lukas

Hard to recommend a topic when we don't know what you studied. Sociology? History? Psychology? Anthropology?
High school? College? Masters? PhD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick reply, I also found some already, a more detailed research will follow in the coming days.

If some of you would be interested or willing to help, I would be happy to post my progress here to get your takes on it and if it contains sound arguments and what could be done better, a sort of peer review in progress

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
flea4 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you all,
Lukas

Hard to recommend a topic when we don't know what you studied. Sociology? History? Psychology? Anthropology?
High school? College? Masters? PhD?

I study English/Anglistics/Anglophone Cultures here in Austria and my field of interest for the thesis is Culture Studies, I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some links: write a PM to me if you cannot access them.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1046878105282279

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6325/587.summary

https://books.google.ro/books?hl=ro&lr=&id=3shyDQAAQBAJ&oi=f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny thing, I just was just musing about something similiar.
In my view, there are three authors in the last century that had tremendous influence on public culture in their respective genre.

These are: J.R.R. Tolkien who influenced the fantasy genre in a huge way and there is no area that wasn't touched, be it music, art, literature, audia drama, or film.

The second one is H. P. Lovecraft who invented a new kind of horror which had effects on many fields too, like for example some of John Carpenters films, not to speak of Lovecraft's countless copycats.

The third is Philip K. Dick. I think he is the science fiction author with the most stories been made into a movie, because he was so inventive and foresighted, that many of his ideas are still up to date.

That made me wonder: Why are there so many Lovecraft-themed board games, several Tolkien-based board games (probably restricted due to publishing rights), but barely any that use topics out of Dick's books?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
That made me wonder: Why are there so many Lovecraft-themed board games, several Tolkien-based board games (probably restricted due to publishing rights), but barely any that use topics out of Dick's books?

Lovecraft/Cthulu are public domain. That explains that.

Philip K. Dick's works don't feature much flashy stuff that might considered appealing in a game. Not much combat, magic spells, vikings, or farming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
flea4 wrote:

I am afraid I will not find many publications about it, ...

But it looks like you have not tried. Do a JSTOR search, you will find there is a literature, small but more than you could easily get through unless you are preparing a thesis (which presumably you are not, or you would be asking your supervisor not us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:
flea4 wrote:

I am afraid I will not find many publications about it, ...

But it looks like you have not tried. Do a JSTOR search, you will find there is a literature, small but more than you could easily get through unless you are preparing a thesis (which presumably you are not, or you would be asking your supervisor not us).

well, he still has to give the 'okay' for the topic and research question. and asking for other peoples knowledge and thoughts is still valid. as I mentioned above, I already found some literature, my main concern was that I would not find enough to valid my topic/research question and therefore not get an 'okay'. If you do not want to help that is perfectly fine, just don't assume what other people did do or did not do. this is not helpful for anyone. I also mentioned a more detailed research will happen in the coming days, I merely wanted to use this thread as a jumping off point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote my thesis on games ... 20yrs ago. It was a little bit of everything, as there was much written on games that I could find in those days when the internet was very, very young. History of games, social impact of games, particularly the freakout over RPGs in the 1980s.

If you'd like some 20yr-old references ...

I posted links to a list of books here recently. I had a much longer bibliography of magazine and journal articles, but the thread was specifically about books. This lists is books I used for that old thesis, books I have read since, and some newer books I would like to get to. They won't all apply to a sociological thesis, but some will:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26215152#26215152
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.