Pirates of the Spanish Main» Forums » General

Subject: Advice needed re selling a POTSM collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p socialworkdad
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi folks

I need some advice. After years of it going unplayed, I have decided to sell my POTSM collection. I need advice on how best to do this.

My collection contains:
POTSM - all standard cards and a few promos/le
Crimson Coast - all standard cards
Revolution - all standard cards
Davy Jones - all standard cards and some special/le
Barbary Coast - all standard cards and nearly all le
South China Seas - all standard cards and most le
Mysterious Islands - all standard cards and most special/le
Frozen North - all standard cards and most special/le
Ocean's Edge - all standard cards and some special/le
1 set of Gale Force Nine's islands.

I think the options are:

1 - sell them all as one lot on ebay. Shipping would be crazy as all together it is rather heavy.

2 - sell them as separate sets (POTSM, CC etc). Shipping would be cheaper.

3 - sell individual cards. Would be a lot of work and slow.

4 - sell them as one lot on BGG.

What do you think? I would like to raise some cash from my collection but I don't want to spend ages doing it! I have no sense of if any of these cards are worth anything, or even if there is a market for them. Any advice/guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 thing to do: list everything. If there's rare stuff in a lot and people don't see that, they're less likely to try to outbid for it.

It doesn't make as much difference what size of chunks you sell in, though I suspect you'd get more from small lots over large. Just because of sticker shock. I've bought giant bins of stuff from games, but it's something I considered very carefully simply because it's hard to gauge the value of a box filled with so many cards that you can't see them all.

I would recommend mixing things so that it's not just a pile of commons, and a pile of rares. How you wish to separate things is up to you, but I'd go with some sort of theme.

Hardest, but possibly most lucrative is to make playsets out of them that are kinda like pre-packaged fleets. Maybe even sets like 5 British ships and 5 Pirate with similar point values? Yes, it's time consuming and you don't really want that, but it'd be something that'd get attention. It wouldn't need to be carefully strategized, just piles of stuff people could get and use.

Or just go with 20 things from POTSM, or 20 things from CC.

But most of all LIST THE CONTENTS! Preferably in text form. IIRC Ebay searches will get hits if the search string is in the description. so if someone is searching for Crimson Angel, and all you did was post a picture of her, the search will not hit your entry. Seriously, methodically documenting everything will make it more desirable for a buyer.

Oh and make sure every listing has "Pirates" somewhere in the listing title. Sometimes people buy stuff because it sounds cool. "Pirates of the Barbary Coast" sounds cooler than just "Barbary Coast".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p socialworkdad
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wow! Thanks for all your advice. I am wondering if to invest the time in listing each item individually.... I sense much of the market is in the USA and that would keep shipping down. Any unbought stuff (mainly commons I'd expect) I could bundle into playable sets and sell for cheap. Lot of work though! Is there a market for singles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check what's on eBay right now to get a sense of how things are packaged. I bought some singles a couple years ago there because I wanted some sea monsters. I have a small collection of the game just because I think the models look cool; I can't be the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, look around to see what others are selling things for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.