Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing using my own variant of Solo 1:

You can only play tiles from the 3x3 supply. As you pick a tile and play it, you fill the gap left in the 3x3 supply with a tile from the face down supply. If you can't (or don't want to) play any of the tiles in the 3x3 supply, you can pick a tile from the 3x3 supply and put it face down in the "discard" pile. You then fill the gap in the 3x3 supply with a tile from the face down supply. The game ends when you declare it done, or when there are no more tiles left in the 3x3 supply and no more tilea left in the fave down supply. For scoring purposes, score as normal - with the difference being that face down tiles in the "discard" pile are -1 points. Any unused tiles in the 3x3 or the face down supply (i.e. if you declare the game over) are ignored.

I've found playing this way allows me to create much bigger castles (which for me makes for a much more satisfying game), while also making the game challenging as you are managing the best you can with the limited choice of 9 available tiles each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilkinson
msg tools
designer
mbmb
That sounds like a great variant! The decision to just stop the game versus continuing by taking a negative point sounds interesting. Kind of a push your luck feel? I'll have to give it a try. By the way, if you like big castles it can be quite fun to try to use ALL the tiles on 2 grass strips and build a huge castle. I have never been able to use every tile and make the castle "complete". I always have 2 or more leftover tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.