Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd put together this handy little chart for anyone that's still curious about how the game is actually played.

Round 1
Turn 1: Buy the first box set.
Turn 2: Anxiously wait for each new set to come out and then racing to the store to get a copy before they are all snapped up. Realizing that you should have picked up two core sets instead of one and now you are trying to find one in the wild.
Turn 3: Sorting your collection. Time to agonize over the perfect storage solution. Do you get the Art box from Hobby Lobby and a token organizer, do you get some foam core and make your own. Perhaps you old school it into a bunch of deck boxes. Maybe you are unsure how big the collection is going to grow, so you just cram it all into the original box. Or maybe you are a purest and keep everything in it's original packaging. The choice is yours, but choices you make now will have long term effects later on so choose wisely
Turn 4: By this point you probably should read some rules and maybe watch a video on what you've been collecting.
Turn 5: Holy crap I really want to play this game. But there's a new expansion coming out next week. Do you start now or miss a turn?
Turn 6: You started early and setup your deck perfectly, but now have a new expansion in hand and oh - no there's a killer new card, that you may combo off of....
Turn 7: You just blew through cramming everything in the original box and it's starting to spill over
Turn 8: Two core games plus it's mythos packs. Dunwich horror and it's mythos packs... Ok got it all. Time to start organizing
Turn 9: Wife sees you sitting at the table with 100's of cards in front of you and she does the mental math faster then you can
Turn 10: You stumble over excuses and justifications for all the money you've spent on a game you haven't yet played. You try and persuade her that she'll like it. It's a game you can experience together.
Turn 11: She wins the fight it's the couch for you
Turn 12: You realize if you only had picked up that Art Case from Hobby Lobby back in Turn 3 you could have secreted how big the actual collection is, in a neat and tidy box.
Turn 13: Wife agro abates time to get back to organizing and besides the couch is comfy
Turn 14: All your cards are sorted and it's time to build some decks but...
Turn 15: You realize you haven't played the actual game yet, lets try just the base scenario with the recommended deck.
Turn 16: HOLY @!@#$ that's awesome... Ok lets build some decks.

Round 2
Turn 1: The Path To Carcosa gets announced....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mbmb
Fascinating to see how the various decision points worked out. In my play (spoilers ahead), I opted for no spouse, but got cats instead.

This means the the artists case was likely the better option because they won't try and sit in it (not a box they can climb into) and stretch out the sides of the box (or knock it off the table, they've done that once with another game). (Opted for the dark wood box, too ... don't know if this will have consequences further into the scenario.)

Like you, I had to scramble to get a second core set (my fault for waiting so long to play it ... a decision point I shared with you).

Once I played it, I then had to mass order all but the first couple of mythos packs (which I fortunately had gotten when they first came out).

With no one to put me on the couch, I ran through both the main set and almost all of Dunwich in pretty short order, but decided to stop and wait for the final mythos pack before playing the others.

I did change one decision point for Carcosa and pre-ordered it to avoid the frantic searching. Again, this could have consequences down the road if the order doesn't go in properly, etc., but I feel this might be the safer option.

Best of luck to you as you venture deeper into the mythos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-1 point for not including coin capsules, perfect felt lined chaos bags, filling up your 900 deck slots on arkhamdb, or finding the cheapest postage for the countless terrors playmat whistle

This game really is worth going all in on both the content and pimping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yogibbear wrote:
-1 point for not including coin capsules, perfect felt lined chaos bags, filling up your 900 deck slots on arkhamdb, or finding the cheapest postage for the countless terrors playmat whistle

This game really is worth going all in on both the content and pimping.

Gotta save some things for round 2 and 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slfillingham wrote:
Fascinating to see how the various decision points worked out. In my play (spoilers ahead), I opted for no spouse, but got cats instead.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I played really badly and ended up with spouse, 2 cats and a dog. I should have resigned really.

The only way the game could have have gone worse is if the spouse, 2 cats or dog realise that I described that as the really bad ending.

I'm just thankful that I can become a Buddhist and try it all again with a different class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg M
msg tools
mbmb
kryyst wrote:

Turn 13: Wife agro abates

This game is so unrealistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ggfunk wrote:
kryyst wrote:

Turn 13: Wife agro abates

This game is so unrealistic.

And the theme is pasted on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:

Turn 10: You stumble over excuses and justifications Test Intellect (6) to justify for all the money you've spent on a game you haven't yet played. You try and persuade her that she'll like it. It's a game you can experience together.

Pull the Autofail token: It's the couch for you.

FIFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim N
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Everything about this thread is so true in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.