Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First - a big thank you to Clash of Arms CEO Ed Wimble for authorizing us an extra half sheet of 1/2 inch counters for the ground units.

Second - a big thank you and salute to the counter artist Ian Wedge of England, who bravely and tirelessly collaborated with me over the last month and a half, to totally redesign the ground unit and game aid counters set for Wings of the Motherland.

This was a huge task and we did it in record time.

Situation - The counter sheets had originally been finalized in 2015, but due to die cutter limitations, we had to use a half sheet of one inch by half inch counters (70 of them), and a half sheet of standard counters (140 of them).

Since this was occurring as I wrote the massive scenario book (a three year project), it was apparent that we did not have 70 large ships to fill the one inch by half inch sheet and that I was desperately short of half inch counters for other needs.

My solution was to print the half inch by half inch naval unit counters, and the trains, trench markers and other map aid counters on the one inch by half inch counter sheet with cutting guides so that gamers could cut these in half after punching the large counter out, and this meant I could (barely) make due with the remaining 140 counters for ground units to write the scenarios.

See sample photos of OLD counter designs in the photo section here.

However, Ed Wimble balked when he finally heard of this and actually saw the proofs of the counter sheets we had laid out in 2015, which I sent him this year (2017). He said it was unacceptable for a COA product to force customers to cut their own pieces from a card board counter sheet.

I told him I had worked under the terms of the component list he had approved earlier but that the scope of the game was so vast that I had no choice. He had wanted to limit the cost of components, hence the attempt at frugality. But I needed every inch of space available.

After some back and forth - he agreed we could have a full counter sheet (280 counter sheet, both sides available) instead of a half counter sheet. This was wonderful news to me.

With the available space on the one inch by half inch counter sheets I was able to provide a lot more game markers for use in the scenarios. The half inch ships and train and game markers were shifted to the new counter sheet which doubled my available counter count. We were able to add many new markers a lot more infantry for both sides and lay out the sheet so that it would be easier on gamers to sort them into trays.

All wonderful points that make this a more user friendly game, and gives the players many more game markers, that I had wanted but didn't have due to lack of space. Now we have smoke pall markers, barrage zone markers, search light counters, beam status indicators, shore line markers, disabled armor and wreck markers...etc...etc.

I have posted a low res. version of the proofs in the photo section so you can compare the evolution between the old and new sheets. Comments invited.

Note that since this is an airplane game, that ground unit counters are primarily targets in the scenarios with some, but limited interaction with each other and few scenarios feature counters from both sides. So don't be alarmed that the German units are back printed on Soviet counters. That was deliberate.

Okay - that's the update.

At this time, Ian and I are working on cleaning up the aircraft counters for final production. All components to the game are to be delivered to COA by end of July 2017.

Cheers,

J.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Leitz
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More great news, very much looking forward to it. Thanks, JD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
fleitz wrote:
More great news, very much looking forward to it. Thanks, JD!

I'm excited myself after seeing the counter sheets and reading about the scope of this project, new to me otherwise.

Must say, I would be surprised if you had been able to get away without some criticism had you pursued counters that were to be "cut in half" by the user. Might have been just fine, and I'm sure everyone would prefer to have the production succeed by any means necessary; but wargamers hardly tolerate the "fuzzy bits" left until punched counters have been 'trimmed'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Loyer
France
flag msg tools
mb
Great news, thanks a lot !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for images of the older versions of the countersheets to compare with the new ones, they have all been deleted as of Tuesday 11 July 2017. They are no longer important

The remaining images above are the current and finalized counter sheet proofs.

If anybody notices any thing out of whack, please alert us here ASAP.

Thanks.

JD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to checking and commenting on things out of whack, I'm particularly wanting feedback if anybody notices things like duplicate counter numbers on the same counter type!

Making sure what's on the front matches what's on the back isn't much of an issue on the ground units sheet, as for the most part they aren't supposed to match anyway. Unlike the aircraft sheet, where it is rather important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.