Subject: Pandemic Legacy for Two?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Wylie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you knowledgeable, fine folk out there recommend Pandemic Legacy as just a two player experience? For me personally, I see that as the most dependable method of being able to actually play routinely (with my wife).

Furthermore, does the game allow for "outsiders" to join in for a game or two midstream? For example, if my wife and I have a couple friends over but have already played a couple games ourselves, would it be "okay" by the game to play the next game, adding them to the roster ... then going back to two players after that?

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played it with 2 and had a great time. We did one character each, and in retrospect I *think* we would have done 2 each.

Adding players in should work fine (though it's going to be a big help if they already know Pandemic). If you are playing 2 characters/player you could just have them each take one, or you could just have additional characters for a game (not a spoiler: you can choose different characters every game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dippel
United States
Merrick
NY
flag msg tools
Commentary! The OverText
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played the entire game as a two-player experience and LOVED it! We played the first two months with one character each, and then switched to playing two characters each (which I recommend). And you could certainly add in other players as drop-ins - just stay within the four character max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 2 player, 2 characters each. any flavor Pandemic seems to be easier at just 2 characters. For Legacy in particular you'd get more things with more characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrunner wrote:
For me personally, I see that as the most dependable method of being able to actually play routinely (with my wife).

+1

My wife and I currently are finishing up August. I knew this is the only way the game would get finished and we are playing 1 character each so its easier to track. We are having a blast with it. I don't know that it is super easy as we have lost 4 games with August being our 4th loss. The game does a decent job at balancing itself to keep you from steamrolling.

Edit: The only thing I could see missing is not getting to see all the characters played. Other than that I feel like we are getting the full experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 15% of BGG voters do not recommend the game for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner and I have played exclusively two-player and are about to play the December mission. We have loved the experience and recommend it without hesitation at that player count. FYI, we have only played with a single character each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richardson
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I only played one character each and it was the best experience we've had playing a game together? Could it be better with 2 characters each? Maybe, but we didn't feel like we missed out on anything because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandelion
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Dandelion, Dandelion
badge
and more Dandelion
mbmbmb
we played the 18 game cycle 2p in about 3 months, and liked that at 2p it was easier than it would have been with 3-4 players. We most certainly did not take two characters each. We had a great time.

We had others express interest in dropping in, but had no interest in that--you build up some connection to the characters and the game, it being a large commitment, and we thought that some rando casual wouldn't necessarily have the required level of investment in the game to play the way we wanted. THey'd be there & gone, but we'd have to deal with the effects of their play for another 12 games, or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gisela Garcia-Corrales
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started playing it with my daughter but after playing a couples of months she gave up (she is only 9 though blush) so my husband and I continued playing one character each and a third one together. At the end of the day, it is a fully cooperative game so we discuss all possible moves before we make a final decision. We just thought that only two characters was going to make things harder because you cannot move that quickly around the board. We completed August a couple of days ago.

Regarding to your question about inviting people to play a single game every now and then, well you totally can if you fancy to as long as they don't want to play it themselves (it will totally spoil it for them!) and they know how to play the normal Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player, 1 character each with my wife. GREAT experience. We had a wonderful time together exploring and unraveling the story. I'm looking forward to doing it again with Season 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richardson
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And just in case I need to clarify when we played 1 character each that doesn't mean we necessarily played the same character each time, although my wife did become incredibly attached to Dr. Charlie Peppers and rarely played someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I completed season one with one character each. The only problem we had was the month of May. I don't see why you couldn't add occasional players, but I'm not sure they would get as much out of the experience if they join mid-campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F T
Germany
flag msg tools
My girlfriend and I played

- 2 characters Jan--July
- 3 characters (one shared) August
- 4 characters September--December

I would personally recommend playing 4 characters, 2 characters each. Here is my personal list of pros and cons of playing with 4 characters.

Cons: harder to become attached to a single character (my girlfriend has proudly played a single character until July, then switching to more characters somehow mitigated that feeling). Harder to remember things (twice as many special powers, with twice as many special rules. Nothing too hard, though). Slower games (we are hard thinkers, and every game took us from 2 to 3 hours, depending on the briefing).

Pros: More variety, less predictable, have to change strategy often, less easy (but it depends on luck and your experience with board games and pandemic), enjoy more of the game (IMHO).

I see nothing wrong with playing a couple of months with two, a couple of months with four and choose from the fifth game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are halfway through and have one character each and a third character who belongs to neither of us.
We have final decisions over our own turns/characters. Usually we agree on the third character, but once we had to flip a coin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
pirignao wrote:
I would personally recommend playing 4 characters, 2 characters each. Here is my personal list of pros and cons of playing with 4 characters.

Cons: harder to become attached to a single character (my girlfriend has proudly played a single character until July, then switching to more characters somehow mitigated that feeling).

While we do not feel that way, I see how this could happen. My recommendations is to give to the characters names of people you both know and are attached to in real life. We did that and became *very* much attached to each character It's one thing having your character become scarred, but do that to a friend ? A real pain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.