Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Souls from Clearing Boss Small Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Goodwin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
My wife and I have been following a slightly different variant for soul collection, instead of doubling the souls from each encounter and reducing the number of sparks like many people have been suggesting. What we suggest is to leave all sparks and encounter soul collection as it was designed, but to increase the number of souls a miniboss/boss drops such as in the game. Instead of having the boss drop souls related to how many sparks remain, we are collecting souls equal to the heat up value of the boss; for multiple players collect souls equal to half the heat up value per player (we haven't played with more than 2 people so this might be a slight limitation). This provides a greater reward for beating the bosses, especially in campaign mode. Please let me know your thoughts on this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the elegance of this idea, but it paradoxically rewards you more souls for easier bosses: the Titanite Demon, for instance, has a smaller Heat Up number than the Gargoyle, but is a tougher fight and makes you fight much harder to get there.

Instead, why not give rewards based on the encounter levels on the bottom of the boss card? These (at least in the base game) line up well with the overall difficulty of the level and the boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Brennan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eternally
badge
Deluded
mbmbmbmbmb
Robyrt wrote:
I like the elegance of this idea, but it paradoxically rewards you more souls for easier bosses: the Titanite Demon, for instance, has a smaller Heat Up number than the Gargoyle, but is a tougher fight and makes you fight much harder to get there.

Instead, why not give rewards based on the encounter levels on the bottom of the boss card? These (at least in the base game) line up well with the overall difficulty of the level and the boss.

This is a very clean solution. So you'd give 1 soul for each level 1 encounter, 2 souls for each level 2, 3 for each level 3, then multiply the total by the number of characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Goodwin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
lbrennan85 wrote:
Robyrt wrote:

This is a very clean solution. So you'd give 1 soul for each level 1 encounter, 2 souls for each level 2, 3 for each level 3, then multiply the total by the number of characters?

I would still want to have a higher number on the boss. I do like the simplicity of the encounters, but even in the game some bosses that give a lot of souls are easier than bosses that do not. The earliest Titanite Demon give 2k souls in the game whereas the first Gargoyles give 10k souls; their difficulty is very similar. I realize this is a board game and not the video game, but I believe that can be translated over without affecting the gameplay value any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.