Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan Holman
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain to me what the "Crystal Golem" version is that I hear referenced?

Are there old pictures or videos of this now dead version?

I only heard about this game when it was already titled Century: Spice Road but I'm very curious about this "Crystal Golem" version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally, when the game was going to be published by Plaid Hat Games, they were going to release two versions of the game. One of these version, with crystal gems instead of the wood cubes we see in the version now published, was going to be called Caravan: Crystal Golems. When Plaid Hat got bought by F2Z, Caravan was moved to be published by another F2Z publishing house Zman Games. When F2Z then got bought by Asmodee, some parts of F2Z, including the former Caravan Games, got spun off in to a a new and separate company called Plan B Games. Plan B rebranded the former Caravan into Century: Spice Road (and plan to make a trilogy of Century games).
As the art for the Crystal Golems was never used, but was apparently created, it is believed that the rights to the art remain with someone in Asmodee and will likely be used for a different game at a later date.

Here's a good picture of the previous boxes:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although enjoying Spice Roads, I love the artwork on Crystal Golem and I hope someone connects it with a cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Holman
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the history I was looking for. Thank you!

I now understand why people are still pining for the Crystal Golem version. Beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a very "Pokemon red and blue" kindof affair. Kinda pointless if you ask me, bjt it would have been a nice experiment.

If they had to ax one version... i'm glad they stuck with the Spice road one. It has a broader target demographic and it has a little more "class" for my tastes. Golem version just looked a little kiddish to me...
Note that i usually gladly play games with fantasy themes such as this, but these style of games never tend to stick a long time with me (and most people i know). They/we usually play the game a few times, then move on to the next fantasy-themed game on the hotness.
European-trading-themes just tend to make for games played for a longer time.

Anyhow... just random thoughts i throw here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vogel
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
Although enjoying Spice Roads, I love the artwork on Crystal Golem and I hope someone connects it with a cool game.

Yup. I love that artwork!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Tiger
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
https://www.facebook.com/search/str/the%2Bboardgame%2Bgroup/...

There's a new announcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.