Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Instead of a continually updated Recently Viewed list we should have the option to display a list of our preferred games - unchanging unless the user changed them. I may, out of curiosity visit a page of some game and after a day or so my recently viewed is full of games I have no interest in returning to. However, I am constantly looking for a game being played and want to quickly go to that page.

Just a thought,

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I suggest that you use the quickbar for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
I use the Quickbar for various links to specific pages and lists I want to go back to.

And it only displays ten items at a time and I would then need to remember which page I need to get to for the game I have in mind.

I have no use for the current Recently Viewed list and it is just full of one-of visits that I wish I could get rid of.

I'm not sure it is that hard to understand the why of my request.

Is there a geeklist or discussion somewhere that is making the case for how unbelievably useful the list is?

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other options:
Your collection page (maybe filtered to a particular view)
Top 10 / Hot 10
Browser bookmarks
Add a list of links to your profile
Create your own private Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
All of that seems far more trouble than it is worth.

There is a column (Recently Viewed) that I have no use for and can't turn off. It would be immensely more useful as a list that I actually control.

I'm merely suggesting something that would be an improvement from my point of view.

Sorry for making the suggestion,

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimA759 wrote:
All of that seems far more trouble than it is worth.

Guess you're not that bothered about having your list then, they're all pretty trivial.

JimA759 wrote:
There is a column (Recently Viewed) that I have no use for and can't turn off.

Click the menu button (three horizontal bars) above it. It will hide it from view.

JimA759 wrote:
I'm merely suggesting something that would be an improvement from my point of view.

But a lot more effort (as it would need a code change) than any alternative already suggested.

Here's another. Become a 'fan' of the relevant games (click the heart on the game page); then you can go to your 'fan' page and get them there. (on a game page, drop down your username in the blue header bar, then click Fan Items).
https://boardgamegeek.com/fan/user/JimA759?subtype=boardgame

JimA759 wrote:
Sorry for making the suggestion,

Don't be, but also don't take it badly when others are trying to help you achieve your goal with the tools already available to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
I have no three horizontal bars or menu item above my Recently Viewed.

And yes, I was suggesting a code change.

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can collapse any of the three left column elements (Quickbar, Recently Viewed or Hotness) on the new design game pages by clicking the downward pointing arrow just to the left of the title. With the old design you could deselect elements and retrieve screen space, but so far as I know you can't reclaim that left column now even if all three lists are de-selected.

That's one reason I'm in no hurry to see the new design enabled for the main page; on the old main page I can turn off the Hotness and still put all the screen real estate to use. On the new game pages, the only thing I keep open is the Quickbar and the space below that is wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimA759 wrote:

Sphere wrote:
so far as I know you can't reclaim that left column now even if all three lists are de-selected.

Click this to toggle the side bar on and off:

Jim, did any of the workarounds help? The fan one might be best for your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

Thanks for the screen image. I'm still on the old main screen and don't have that.

However, I see the new format has the Quickbar/Recently Viewed/Hotness and the Geek Store ad on the same "show/don't show" button. So I can't have the Quickbar without the other three.

Actually, if I could just delete items off the Recently Viewed that would be great.

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimA759 wrote:
Actually, if I could just delete items off the Recently Viewed that would be great.

You can: depending on which style of page you're presented with, you'll have either the "All »" or "See All »" link. Click that and start red-X-ing to your heart's content.

I regularly prune those one-off views and keep my game-browsing history to those games that I'm likely to want to revisit at some point.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
B Factor wrote:
JimA759 wrote:

You can: depending on which style of page you're presented with, you'll have either the "All »" or "See All »" link. Click that and start red-X-ing to your heart's content.

I regularly prune those one-off views and keep my game-browsing history to those games that I'm likely to want to revisit at some point.

Hope this helps!

I did find that on my own and started pruning. Not the ideal methodology but it works. I never realized how big a queue they are saving for recently viewed. It would appear to be the last 150+. <G> Although I just needed to prune a few dozen to get them off my home page.

Thanks,

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
JimA759 wrote:

Sphere wrote:
so far as I know you can't reclaim that left column now even if all three lists are de-selected.

Click this to toggle the side bar on and off:

Great tip - thanks! I'd never discovered that, and using it my game page views are much improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.