Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does someone know the Dice Roll guys? I would regard it as a personal favor to let them know about the errors made in their playthrough, which were, frankly, pretty major. I'll just list three of the most obvious.

1) players started with 1 cultist each, instead of 6.

2) Crawling Chaos started in the Arctic

3) Black Goat interpreted the "Have units in four areas" as "Have four units in an area" for her spellbook.

I'd be happy to blame my ill-written rules for these errors, except that all the many dozens of other playthroughs I've seen online got them right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also multiple actions in a row for the same player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well most people seem to think my tutorial videos don't suck terribly, direct them over there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 cultist each? Holy shit that would be a long game. Someone skimmed the rule book lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a shame because it's the playthrough that miniature market links to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty embarrasing that they would miss such fundamental and simple rules. The cultist setup is printed on the faction sheet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
Well most people seem to think my tutorial videos don't suck terribly, direct them over there?

This video tutorial taught me the game and it is narrated by (what sounds like) Norm McDonald! Recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Does someone know the Dice Roll guys? I would regard it as a personal favor to let them know about the errors made in their playthrough, which were, frankly, pretty major. I'll just list three of the most obvious.

1) players started with 1 cultist each, instead of 6.

3) Black Goat interpreted the "Have units in four areas" as "Have four units in an area" for her spellbook.

I'd be happy to blame my ill-written rules for these errors, except that all the many dozens of other playthroughs I've seen online got them right.

Bet the game went on forever as nobody seemed to hit the 30 spellbooks needed to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:

But aren't rules misinterpretations an unlimited action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

You are thinking of looking up rules, at least the duration for it seems unlimited sometimes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Only once you have the 7th spellbook. Before that it costs 3 power and you must sacrifice your Great Old Ones. The bonus is you get 2 power back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MitchLav wrote:
Grumsh wrote:

This video tutorial taught me the game and it is narrated by (what sounds like) Norm McDonald! Recommended.

This makes me chuckle every time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kriss pics
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hooo
Please, send them a message. Because i think that it's a major drag for people on the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyarthlotep wrote:
1 cultist each? Holy shit that would be a long game. Someone skimmed the rule book lol

I was trying to think of how this could be an interesting start. You would presumably begin with 3 power, so it would be feasible to get a cultist or two and/or a cheap monster on turn 1. Second turn you would have ~5 power and could recruit your remaining 3 cultists and from then on continue as normal. So it probably just adds two quick turns with no rituals and not much else happening. Might be an early boost for CC if they summon a nightgaunt for some capturing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the minimal start seems interesting. It seems altogether un-necessary. Thematically I think of the fire-starter mortal who gains some insights into the higher entity he has found and worshiped and through his insight has managed to bring together a small cult following, which is finally big enough to garner attention and power to summon forth monsters and abominations across time and space.

Overall, we want to get to the action and not see the process of multiple cults grow before anything really big happens. And it drags the game out a bit when you can instead play two action packed wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:

The Crawling Chaos player actually started in the right area but as her first action moved her lone cultist to the Arctic, abandoning her gate - which was then immediately taken by Black Goat. So that was not a rules misunderstanding ... just a severe strategical mistake. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hemulen wrote:
Nyarthlotep wrote:

I was trying to think of how this could be an interesting start. You would presumably begin with 3 power, so it would be feasible to get a cultist or two and/or a cheap monster on turn 1. Second turn you would have ~5 power and could recruit your remaining 3 cultists and from then on continue as normal. So it probably just adds two quick turns with no rituals and not much else happening. Might be an early boost for CC if they summon a nightgaunt for some capturing.

This is the preferred start for Tcho Tcho players as it gives Ubbo 2 extra turns of growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:
hemulen wrote:
Nyarthlotep wrote:

This is the preferred start for Tcho Tcho players as it gives Ubbo 2 extra turns of growth.

This is true, but Ubbo is a bit pants generally, so it may not matter too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.