6 Posts

Midway Solitaire» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game any good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I like all Asian themed games and especially the Pacific War. This games seems quite complex though. Is it a fun and balanced game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is (in my opinion) less "complex" than it is "process intensive" (e.g. you have to rigidly follow the Sequence of Play in a step-by-step manner or things will very quickly become unhinged). I also felt there were a lot of ambiguous aspects to the rules that needed clarification -- to be fair, the DG design team has been good about responding to my questions (over on the CSW website; I don't think they check BGG).

As for balance, it's hard to respond -- it depends on what you think qualifies as balanced in a solo setting. My sense is that the game is intended to provide a difficult challenge for the player, so you'll probably lose about two-thirds to three-quarters of the times you play.

While I really like the overall concept of the game, my gut feeling is that (like much of what comes out of DG these days) they got it to about an 80% complete state before pushing it out the door. There are several aspects to the design that just leave me scratching my head and wondering "what were they thinking." For me, that's okay -- I'm an inveterate tinkerer and simply modify things to fit my personal tastes -- but for people who want a solid design right out of the package, I'm not sure that it will please (don't get me wrong, it might -- but it depends on your personal preferences).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I played the old Avalon Hill game Midway and I got Fires of Midway which I have not opened yet.

Also got Victory in the Pacific. So this theater of operations interests me a lot.

I have an idea I may like this game but generally I don't like too complex a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I have an idea I may like this game but generally I don't like too complex a game.

Again, it's not "complex" per se. Movement is point-to-point up to two points (three with a leader) for the player, and by a chit pull+die roll mechanism for the Japanese AI; combat involves rolling a die and comparing it against the firing unit's rating to see if you 'hit'. It's all very simple from a systemic/technical standpoint; the only thing that's "difficult" is following the Sequence of Play script.

The rules for the game are available online at the DG website. I urge you to download and read them to see if it's something you'd enjoy. From your list of games that you like, I suspect you'll probably find it to be a good fit for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Lancer4321 wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

Again, it's not "complex" per se. Movement is point-to-point up to two points (three with a leader) for the player, and by a chit pull+die roll mechanism for the Japanese AI; combat involves rolling a die and comparing it against the firing unit's rating to see if you 'hit'. It's all very simple from a systemic/technical standpoint; the only thing that's "difficult" is following the Sequence of Play script.

The rules for the game are available online at the DG website. I urge you to download and read them to see if it's something you'd enjoy. From your list of games that you like, I suspect you'll probably find it to be a good fit for you.

Ok thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lancer4321 wrote:
...has been good about responding to my questions (over on the CSW website; I don't think they check BGG).

Oh boy, it's a good thing it's late and I'm tired, else I'd be on my soapbox lamenting over how this comment is true for so many war game publishers. It's like we're 2nd class citizens over here, despite BGG's superior platform. OK... going to bed before you get me started!

Oiler1 wrote:
...and I got Fires of Midway which I have not opened yet.

Open it.
Play it.
An awesome, highly under-rated game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.