Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-skinned Cosmic Encounter that only plays 5 people? And no freakin' Greyjoys?! No thank you.

Re-skinned Cosmic Encounters that plays up to 7 with all of the major houses, stream-lined rules AND added allies? Soooooooold.

Cosmic, you had your day, we enjoyed you, but you, my friend, are on the trade pile.

I enjoyed Cosmic (I have two expansions for it) but I always felt it was overly complicated for what it was (the re-filling of your hand was so un-intuitive and the giant blocks of text on every character was an eye-crosser for new players).

My group and I are obsessive GOT fans and this will play much better in my group, but I couldn't justify it at 5 players (where there is already a lot of competition in my collection).

Very happy and excited to add this to the shelf now. Anyone else in the same boat now that the expansion is on the street?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't the expansion that sold me on this. I liked Cosmic (played it 30 times before getting rid of it), but I didn't like the rules ambiguities that arose from having so many alien powers and different flares interacting. In addition, it was also pretty chaotic. Game of Thrones has way more control. This mainly arises from everyone having the same deck. Well, the characters are different, but you will know what your opponents are capable of, based on the fact that you only have to worry about 3 different effects (the leader power, leader card, and character card of the participating character) per person. That's a lot more knowledge than powers + random flares + reward cards + reinforcements + artifacts + potentially technology.

In fact, I worry about the chaos the ally cards will introduce and how they will affect the game in other ways. Even if they don't suit my tastes, I'm sure some people will like them and it's still a must have expansion due to having 2 new houses to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
mb
I have really liked it and immediately preorder the expansion. This is most likely my most anticipated expansion of 2017. I think its going to be a blast at 7 player with the new neutral allies deck. This is amazing; I just don't know where the system could go further from here.

I am glad this version is so straight forward and easy to work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I didn't know the rules were streamlined. I'll have to check them out.

While I agree that card refilling was a bit clunky in CE, overall I think Iron Throne is a bit more wonky in terms of rules. Who can remember how hostages work? Also there are just SO many characters that simply must be memorized for moderate level play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Interesting, I didn't know the rules were streamlined.

They're not more streamlined in the expansion than they were in the original, I just meant they were streamlined IMO in general over CE.

The hostages thing is the only complicated bit, for me everything else is easier to teach to new players in comparison. And while the hostage thing might take a second to get your head around, having only read the rules and not played i think it sounds like a lot of fun and quite strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from the base game alone, this was a far better game for my friends, all of whom watch and love the show (and books) and really get into this theme in a way we never could with Cosmic Encounter (which we found kind of boring and bizarre). In fact, we disliked Cosmic enough that we sold it last year, and it took some convincing to get my husband to play this.

Long story short: we love this, and the expansion will be just icing on the cake now! Let's just hope they know when to stop over-stuffing this with bloated, unnecessary content (i.e. 4+ more expansions a la CE).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Already just the base game replaced Cosmic in my top 10. I have 2 huge issues with the game:

1. Doesn't play up to 6 players.
2. Rule book is disorganized.

The expansion fixes issue #1, but unless it comes with a rewritten rule book I still have the second.

I may end up just typing everything out in a way that makes sense to me and printing it and putting it in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find my one-page rules reference to be pretty good:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/146675/rules-reference

Give it a look and see if it helps. Going from Cosmic to this is a little confusing, but I think there are way less weird "power/card ability" interactions in Iron Throne.

I'm going to update it with expansion info when mine arrive in the mail in about a weeks time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! The rules reference is NECESSARY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game would've been far better received if it 7 players with the ally deck in the base game. The base game, as it stands, felt very incomplete with the two major houses missing and lack of secondary characters that make up the world of GoT. Even the expansion has player reference cards that should've been in the base game!

The expansion feels like a cashgrab.

However, I still think it's worth it. I still purchased it, but considering CE is 70 CDN bucks with 5 players, while GoT is 50 CDN bucks for 5 players, I think the extra 10 or 20 dollars more to have a more complete CE-like experience would've helped the game tremendously. It is a far better designed game than CE and should've been treated with golden gloves considering the license it's based upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated my rules reference. It's been submitted and should show up soon-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.