Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Adaptable rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, so how does Adaptable work in practice. It costs one pip so I can only buy it with XP. So when I buy it, it is permanent, so it doesn't count towards my deck size so I don't have to discard another card to put it in my deck. Then, can I use it straightaway to swap out one or two level zero cards, or do I have to add it to my deck and wait to draw it in the next game I play?

I fear I'm missing something obvious, or reading too much in to it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It starts in play. Here is the definition:

Permanent is a deckbuilding keyword ability.

A card with the permanent keyword does not count towards your deck size.
A card with the permanent keyword still counts as being part of your deck and must therefore adhere to all other deckbuilding restrictions.
A card with the permanent keyword starts each game in play and is not shuffled into your investigator deck during setup.
A card with the permanent keyword cannot be discarded by any means.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Permanent means it is always in play, it never goes into your deck. It does not count towards your deck size. You can begin using it immediately, and can always use it in between scenarios.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that as soon as you buy it you can use it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Spaulding
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
A card with the permanent keyword cannot be discarded by any means.
Note that with the recent FAQ this has been errataed to be:

A card with the permanent keyword cannot leave play (except by elimination).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pneuma08 wrote:
roborob wrote:
A card with the permanent keyword cannot be discarded by any means.
Note that with the recent FAQ this has been errataed to be:

A card with the permanent keyword cannot leave play (except by elimination).



That paranthetical is really important -- "I may have been eliminated, but my Charisma is still with you!"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamedog wrote:
pneuma08 wrote:
roborob wrote:
A card with the permanent keyword cannot be discarded by any means.
Note that with the recent FAQ this has been errataed to be:

A card with the permanent keyword cannot leave play (except by elimination).



That paranthetical is really important -- "I may have been eliminated, but my Charisma is still with you!"

I didn't think of the errata. I only play solo with one investigator so anything that would apply to multiple players or investigators, I tend to gloss over. Good catch however.

My original reply was a cut and paste from Arkhamdb so I wonder if their rules page could use an update.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Spaulding
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that was intended as a joke, since the parenthetical doesn't really mean anything with the current card pool.

The errata does make a big difference when dealing with cards like
Spoiler (click to reveal)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't count towards deck size...
But it would count as one of Ashcan's five non-red cards ... yes???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
dlikos wrote:
Doesn't count towards deck size...
But it would count as one of Ashcan's five non-red cards ... yes???

Adaptable? Is not a level zero card, can't be one of Pete's off-color cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
dlikos wrote:
Doesn't count towards deck size...
But it would count as one of Ashcan's five non-red cards ... yes???

Adaptable? Is not a level zero card, can't be one of Pete's off-color cards.


Yes, you are correct... are there any that are level zero making the question valid?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
No, so far all permanents are exp cards. Since they'd be trivial auto-includes if not, this will probably stay that way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Spaulding
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-XP Permanent cards could be interesting if they came with a downside.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.