BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Please help a newbie choose from these games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi everyone

I'm a total newbie here and to board gaming in general. So in-brief I've been looking at some games to grow my collection and have a few on the shortlist and wanted the opinions of some more seasoned gamers as to whether these are good choices or not?

Dead of Winter - now I'm getting into things more, I'd like a slightly more involved, thematic game for 2+ players. Is this a good game for that and should I get the original or the long night variation?

Codenames - I'd like a party game which is accessible to non-gamers and gamers alike which has some light strategy elements and is good for groups. Is this a good game for that? Some blogs I've read mention Resistance and Coup and even Secret Hitler.

Camel Up or Colt Express - been looking at both these as a fun, family friendly group game which is less card based than something like Codenames (cards seem to put lots of people off!) which fits the brief better?

Forbidden Desert - I've really enjoyed Pandemic as a co-op and even my GF has enjoyed it so I was looking to add to the co-ops in my collection.

What does everybody think? Are there better games out there others would suggest as alternatives to my picks? I should probably add, I'm not much of a miniatures or wargame kind of person and I'd like to involve my GF in the games and she hates tile laying in the form of games like Carcassonne. Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! It's hard to give recommendations without something to go on. You should add some games into your collection here and rate them so we know what kinds of games you like.

Going blind, I'd recommend Dead of Winter and Camel Up from that list, but neither if you're only playing with 2 players.

EDIT: if you're looking for a fun, puzzly, thematic cooperative game like Pandemic but with a very different feel, I'd recommend Legends of Andor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoW plays better with more people, so I wouldn't aim for 2+ with it. I would honestly do 4+.

Codenames is an easy get. The Resistance(Avalon) is worth picking up. I like Coup to have played it a bunch, but with small collection, I would wait on it. I did enjoy Secret Hitler. I just think the first two are more "required."

Only played Colt Express between the two, but I liked it a lot.

I like Forbidden Desert, but my qualm would be getting such a similar co-op to Pandemic early on. Hanabi, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Legendary Encounters: Aliens, etc. There's a bunch of different co-ops out there worht looking into that play different. Marvel Legendary is an option, but I just find it inferior to Encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibraham
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
robonzo81 wrote:
Codenames - I'd like a party game which is accessible to non-gamers and gamers alike which has some light strategy elements and is good for groups. Is this a good game for that? Some blogs I've read mention Resistance and Coup and even Secret Hitler.

Codenames is as you describe it, though I'd say it shares next to nothing with the other games mentioned here.

There are rules for 2 and (I think) 3 players, but I don't enjoy those much. Even having as few as 4 works very well, and I've played with up to 10.

The good thing about having a lot of people is that if some want to flake off and chat or stare at their phones, it doesn't hinder the game much. (Of course, having more people to interpret clues should help your team, but that also leads to more misinterpretations. It's a balance.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2, I would just get Codenames: Duet. You likely could toss both games into the same box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Good point, I've just filled in my collection (it's still small!) but in addition to this I've also played:

Carcassonne (not really sure about games with undefined boards i.e tile laying)
Warhammer Silver Tower (ok so this lays tiles, but I loved Hero Quest as a kid and just had to!)

I guess I want something a bit meatier so games have a solid element of strategy and tactics which play fine 2-5 people but excel around 4, hence Dead of Winter, I also enjoy the Zombie theme!

I've really enjoyed playing Pandemic with my girlfriend and she seems to enjoy the co-op element so it's less about winners and losers.

Games with dice generally annoy me, especially if dice are the central theme (this definitely lets Warhammer style and RPG games down imo) so ideally I like things more like Ticket to Ride but the slightly more whacky/abstract nature of Camel or Colt appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the neat things about Camel Up is that it is a really easy game for new gamers to play with others that have more experience with board games beyond roll and move games. This includes children as well, because this is a great game for introducing them to strategy. Sure, the rolls are random, but there is a lot for them to learn about with the oasis tiles, what to bet on, and when to bet. I always bring it on family trips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
DoW plays better with more people, so I wouldn't aim for 2+ with it. I would honestly do 4+.

Codenames is an easy get. The Resistance(Avalon) is worth picking up. I like Coup to have played it a bunch, but with small collection, I would wait on it. I did enjoy Secret Hitler. I just think the first two are more "required."

Only played Colt Express between the two, but I liked it a lot.

I like Forbidden Desert, but my qualm would be getting such a similar co-op to Pandemic early on. Hanabi, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Legendary Encounters: Aliens, etc. There's a bunch of different co-ops out there worht looking into that play different. Marvel Legendary is an option, but I just find it inferior to Encounters.

Thanks! yeah the price point on codenames and resistance is accessible so I could pick both up, I'll leave the others for another time.

I've heard a lot of people speak of Hanai, I'll have to check some videos out on YouTube and see what it's all about. To be fair I've still only beaten Pandemic once shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play Pandemic on the easiest setting and grab the right roles(I would have to look them up), it should be a fairly easy to win. Hanabi has a scoring system so you only really lose per say if you do really bad. I would aim for 20 out of 25 depending on who is playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first off well done for a good start into the hobby with pandemic, TTR, hive, patchwork, and trying carcassonne. Thats a great range and knowing dice and open tile placement are great notes.

DoW and forbidden desert you may want to hold off till you know what about coops you like. In my personal opinion, I feel good coops are still new to the boardgaming hobby. DoW was fun but just didn't take too long for my group to get board of it, there wasn't enough challenge/conflict, and the hidden goals seemed to all to often add nothing to the game.

Camel up and colt express I don't know a thing about.

Codenames is fun, more liked then the others in my group but like already mentioned those aren't exactly games along the same vein.

So my suggestions are all kind of pushing your taste limits. The first two are games basically just cards. But I still think they are worth you checking out.

for a fast loud party game check out Pit. Works well to get a group in the party mood. A game is learned in seconds and is played in a few minutes of loud shouting. Can handle up to about 4-8 people. The downside is its nothing more than a fast filler. Find it for cheap and it'll be worth it.

A step up and probably one of the better games for you would be For Sale. Still simple to learn but much more of a game and a good dose of competitive social.

The Downfall of Pompeii. check into this one just to push your limits on cards and tile laying, but the tile laying is confined to the board.

One more game that was useful getting my non-gamer friends into gaming was Revolution!. You blind bid vs the other players each round so its got that trying to read your opponents aspect that some of the other lighter games try to use but takes it and makes a fuller game out of it.

best of luck diving further into the hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
first off well done for a good start into the hobby with pandemic, TTR, hive, patchwork, and trying carcassonne. Thats a great range and knowing dice and open tile placement are great notes.

DoW and forbidden desert you may want to hold off till you know what about coops you like. In my personal opinion, I feel good coops are still new to the boardgaming hobby. DoW was fun but just didn't take too long for my group to get board of it, there wasn't enough challenge/conflict, and the hidden goals seemed to all to often add nothing to the game.

Camel up and colt express I don't know a thing about.

Codenames is fun, more liked then the others in my group but like already mentioned those aren't exactly games along the same vein.

So my suggestions are all kind of pushing your taste limits. The first two are games basically just cards. But I still think they are worth you checking out.

for a fast loud party game check out Pit. Works well to get a group in the party mood. A game is learned in seconds and is played in a few minutes of loud shouting. Can handle up to about 4-8 people. The downside is its nothing more than a fast filler. Find it for cheap and it'll be worth it.

A step up and probably one of the better games for you would be For Sale. Still simple to learn but much more of a game and a good dose of competitive social.

The Downfall of Pompeii. check into this one just to push your limits on cards and tile laying, but the tile laying is confined to the board.

One more game that was useful getting my non-gamer friends into gaming was Revolution!. You blind bid vs the other players each round so its got that trying to read your opponents aspect that some of the other lighter games try to use but takes it and makes a fuller game out of it.

best of luck diving further into the hobby!

Thanks for the suggestions, the only one of those I've heard of is For Sale so I'll go do some research on the others.

My wish list just keeps on growing! I tried to start the collection with some variety, I've really enjoyed Patchwork, very different to anything I've played before but a lot of fun and tricky to work out who has won until the very end. I like that in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno van Mark
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My alternative suggestions:

DoW: A more thematic coop is Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. Hard to learn it but worth the effort.

Codenames: You can't get wrong with this.

Camel up: Was a total miss in both of my groups. Try Manila. But the most fun you can get with Telestrations.

Pandemic: Try Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 and you will get a new sense of boardgaming experiance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyhing that you are considering I'd suggest watching a play-through/overview and see if the game grabs you and your gf. For 2 player games I recommend Rahdo Runs Through as there are many good games out there that are merely 'ok' with 2 players.

My other suggestion is to search for game groups nearby. It is hard to know what you like and dislike in the beginning and it is always good to try a variety.

Good luck with your search and don't be put off by other peoples opinions on what you enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Bolt
United States
Bar Harbor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
If you play Pandemic on the easiest setting and grab the right roles(I would have to look them up), it should be a fairly easy to win. Hanabi has a scoring system so you only really lose per say if you do really bad. I would aim for 20 out of 25 depending on who is playing.

In Pandemic, my wife and my favorite roles are Operations Expert and Medic, but YMMV. If you are considering Hanabi, try Beyond Baker Street we have enjoyed it with 2-4 and the theme, while mostly pasted on, makes a much better game, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.