Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Empires in America (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fortress Garrison (Optional Rule 13.5) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Under this rule, I may defend a fortress box from the advancing British using a garrison force.

I'm having trouble understanding what that garrison force would consist of. Restrictions per 13.5.3 are no Indian cards, max one militia, and one other auxiliary card.

How would I ever have a militia card in my tableau under such a circumstance? If I'm not mistaken, all French militia cards are Action cards, which I could not place from hand to tableau except during the French phase. So would a French garrison force during a British advance only be one auxiliary card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcapozzi1 wrote:
Under this rule, I may defend a fortress box from the advancing British using a garrison force.

I'm having trouble understanding what that garrison force would consist of. Restrictions per 13.5.3 are no Indian cards, max one militia, and one other auxiliary card.

How would I ever have a militia card in my tableau under such a circumstance? If I'm not mistaken, all French militia cards are Action cards, which I could not place from hand to tableau except during the French phase. So would a French garrison force during a British advance only be one auxiliary card?

I'm confused what the confusion is. A militia card could be in your tableau the same way it could be there is a battle where you have a leader present: you played the militia card into your tableau earlier, before this battle. That means it is available (13.1).

If the militia is available in your tableau (because you played it there earlier) then optional rule 13.5.3 lets you use it to defend a fortress even if you have no leader. Normally you could use it to defend a fortress only if you have a leader.

Does that help?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can purchase an Action card in one turn to save for another turn. So if I paid an AP to place a militia card this turn, I must use it. It won't be in my tableau for any British phase. Since all three French militia cards are Action cards, I don't see how I would ever have a militia card available for garrison force defense.

Am I playing something incorrectly?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcapozzi1 wrote:
I don't think you can purchase an Action card in one turn to save for another turn. So if I paid an AP to place a militia card this turn, I must use it. It won't be in my tableau for any British phase. Since all three French militia cards are Action cards, I don't see how I would ever have a militia card available for garrison force defense.

Am I playing something incorrectly?

You indeed play a militia card as an action - but doing so adds it to your tableau! (See 9.3.1.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing that if it is an action card, it must be played the turn I pay for it (per other threads, including this one.)

Does that not hold true if the action card is a militia card? Can I pay for a militia card and hold it in my tableau until needed?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcapozzi1 wrote:
I have been playing that if it is an action card, it must be played the turn I pay for it (per other threads, including this one.)

Does that not hold true if the action card is a militia card? Can I pay for a militia card and hold it in my tableau until needed?

You play it the turn you "pay" for it - but playing it means adding it to your tableau.

There's no mention of militia cards having to leave your tableau at the end of your French phase that you played them (as you seem to be thinking), is there?

See e.g. 13.1.

AFAIK militia in your tableau function like any other auxiliaries in your tableau. It's just that you have to spend an action to put them into your tableau in the first place, unlike e.g. Indians which immediately automatically enter your tableau.

See also 2.2:
2.2 wrote:
Provincial cards: These represent various local and colonial forces (note that the French Militias arrive via Action cards and require the expenditure of an Action Point to be organized and enter play). Each has a Battalion Strength (i.e., it adds that number of dice to those rolled for that side in a Battle) but no actual Battalions (i.e., Provincials do not take damage). Generally, after their employment at a Battle, Provincial cards leave the tableau, but they might return to play later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help.

Weird thing is, I used to keep paid-for militia cards in my tableau until I needed them, then began seeing threads on having to use "actions" on the turn you pay for them (can't save them). I let this confuse me. I see that one-time action cards cannot be saved for later turns. But paying for militia cards as an action puts that in my tableau, and they can be used when needed.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.