Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: [HIVEMIND] Need help with Windows 10 webmail (solved) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
This past Monday morning, the warehouse I work in had its PCs upgraded to a newer model, which included upgrading the OS from Windows XP to Windows 10. As you can imagine, there have been a lot of adjustments, and corporate IT is still working on a number of problems.

My difficulty is with the webmail function. I have multiple screens I have to display on my monitor, the main two being the Order Manager and the RF “Gun” (actually just a PC version of the screen on the laser part-picking gun used by the regular pickers). I normally left my e-mail screen minimized, but kept an eye out for the little envelope that would pop up in the systray when I had a new message. I could bring up Outlook, check the message, then re-minimize it and go on about my work. These messages sometimes alerted me that one or more parts I’m picking has become “hot” and I need to move it up my priority list.

(I’m the only person in the entire company who picks, packs, and ships parts out to various locations to be plated on a full-time basis. I handle the plating for all three company divisions, so if I miss a message and someone’s part is late going out or coming back, I catch a lot of flack.)

Windows webmail apparently has no notification method for new messages. I missed a deadline for a hot part yesterday because I didn’t see the message until too late. (I’m not always right in front of my monitor, and often get busy and forget to check webmail.) Another worker also missed a message about a hot request for some hydraulic hoses.

When I inquired about this situation with the “Help” desk, I was told that, indeed, webmail has no notification method. I asked if there was some other e-mail solution, and was told that licenses for MS Office were not allowed/approved for the warehouse machines, so Outlook is not available. That was then followed by “you’ll just have to monitor your e-mail.” I can’t do that and get my work done in a timely fashion.

So, I am asking if anyone knows some way to have a visual alert for new messages in Windows 10 webmail, either directly or through Cortana or some other method. I don’t know if I can install anything on my machine, but -- in case I can -- is there some e-mail program (free or cheap) that could be installed to do that for us?

EDIT: We are not allowed to have access to our phones during working hours -- only on our breaks.

I’m thinking that, since I’m not the only one missing time-sensitive messages, the company might pay for something as long as it’s cheaper than a license for MS Office. Any ideas will be appreciated.

-----

SOLUTION: When they replaced my PC, they also replaced my monitor. I went from the old standard 4:3 ratio CRT to a nice wide, flat-screen. I wasn't used to that so the simplest solution to my problem eluded me for a couple of days. I finally realized that I had enough space on the screen to move some of my windows around, which I couldn't do on the old CRT. After some trial-and-error I came up with an arrangement of the three main windows that, even when the webmail is behind the other two, I can still see the line that says "x Items, y Unread". Now I only need to glance at that line to find out if I have anything I need to check. So no fancy alert system was needed after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: [HIVEMIND] Need help with Windows 10 webmail

Have you looked into linking a smartphone to your email and having your phone alert you when a new message comes in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
.... upgrading the OS from Windows XP to Windows 10.

Condolences. I hate Windows 10 and all of the latest Microsoft Office products with a passion.

Quote:
....I am asking if anyone knows some way to have a visual alert for new messages in Windows 10 webmail, either directly or through Cortana or some other method.

I don't know how to do it in Windows 10 without Outlook, but I can think of a couple of possibilities:

1) Can the warehouse machines access Outlook Webmail on corporate machines? The Outlook Webmail interface should put the notification icon back on the tray, or at least at the bottom of the webpage interface (which you could have visible at the bottom of your screen behind anything else) but you'd only need a browser and not a full license for Outlook, if I understand it correctly...

2) Do you have a phone from which you can access your work email? It could be set to notify you of new messages on that account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have every message forwarded to an account you can access by phone.

Security problem for the company and now you're cluttering an account of yours with work email, but hey can't have everything.

Or talk this company into getting you a mobile device for the work account. Sounds like it's in their best interests if they have you on the go all day.

Running a shipping department in manufacturing firm? Been there. Getting flashbacks now .. good luck, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean webmail (Outlook via an internet browser such as Edge), or do you mean Windows Mail, which is a standalone app that comes with Windows 10?

Windows Mail app can display notifications*, webmail probably can't.

* provided that you're not in a locked down enterprise environment that has disabled app notifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Audacon wrote:

Have you looked into linking a smartphone to your email and having your phone alert you when a new message comes in?

We are not allowed to have access to phones during working hours -- only on our breaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Do you mean webmail (Outlook via an internet browser such as Edge), or do you mean Windows Mail, which is a standalone app that comes with Windows 10?

* provided that you're not in a locked down enterprise environment that has disabled app notifications.

I believe it's Outlook via browser. I bring it up by clicking the IE logo on the taskbar, and there are three or four links in the linkbar on the webmail page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Audacon wrote:

We are not allowed to have access to phones during working hours -- only on our breaks.

You deserve a better job than that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, one of those places. Good luck, you'll need it.

Seriously, counter with a request for a work phone then.

Work device, work account, enables them to pester you constantly while you run around.

Get the project managers you're working for to lobby for this on your behalf. They'll want you to have it, cause they'll want their parts moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:

I believe it's Outlook via browser. I bring it up by clicking the IE logo on the taskbar, and there are three or four links in the linkbar on the webmail page.
OK, actually webmail then.
Do you have the option of using Windows Mail? It doesn't have the functionality of Outlook but it does have notifications and comes standard with Windows 10 (again unless you're in a locked down enterprise environment where they didn't install it). Type "Mail" into the Search/Cortana box and if you get a result that is just called "Mail" (with a blue icon showing an envelope), try clicking on it. If it starts up, then you should be able to add your email account to it - you'll probably need some info from your IT guys to set it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It depends on which version of OWA you are using but for 2016 there is a gear icon in the top right corner-> options-> settings.

Scroll down to message options and make sure display notifications when a new email arrives and probably check play a sound when new items arrive.

But no pop ups with OWA and yes you are going to monitor your email more closely if it is critical you get these emails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have the option to add a 2nd monitor to your PC? Then keep the browser on the webmail page open on the 2nd monitor and you can glance at it to monitor.

Good luck, hope you find a solution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

You could use a program like Thunderbird (same folks behind Firefox) - it's essentially an Outlook replacement. I'm pretty sure you can set up pop-up notifications on win10, but it might require a little finessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:

clay,

It used to be that one had to run a Windows desktop application to access one's email. This was under an Internet protocol called Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). This program (application) was called a "mail client". It used SMTP to access your mailbox which resided on some "mail server" somewhere. Often this was an included service by your Internet provider.

You used your mail client to log into your mailbox and copy down to your computer all of your new email. The mail client also served the role of managing all your email (copying, deleting, forwarding, organizing, etc.) All this was done "locally" on your desktop computer.

Then along came email on the World Wide Web, which many people just call "the Internet" because it is WWW that we use the most. We use a web browser to access web pages.

Web-based mail clients such as Hotmail and Google Mail became extremely popular and essentially took over as people's main way to access email; although, the older desktop mail client way of doing things still has its uses. There are pros and cons to both.

This is where perhaps your confusion lay. People are asking you, are you using a desktop mail client application to access your email or are you accessing your email using a web-application using a web browser.

The relevancy is that the web-application resides entirely on a server somewhere in the Cloud and does not normally interact with your computer's operating system. The relevancy here is notifications.

So, many, many desktop email clients have come and gone. Microsoft has put out a bunch. One very confusing thing is that Microsoft keeps changing the name of the desktop email clients (Windows Messaging, Outlook Express, Outlook, etc.) Adding to the confusion is that Microsoft has a more functional application that comes with Microsoft Office. It too is called Outlook. Now add, Microsoft's house brand email service and web-application used to be called Hotmail, which I'm sure you heard of. They changed the name of that too, to you guessed it, Outlook. No wonder you and many other people are confused.

As of right now, in Windows 10, you can use any way to access your email that you like. However, keeping just to Microsoft's products, here are the two ways:

(a) Use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge to access Microsoft's web-application email system, called Outlook. I still type in www.Hotmail.com but it gets me to outlook.live.com.

(b) Microsoft has always provided a basic simple desktop email client as part of their operating system. The Windows 10 version is just called "Mail". Look for it in your list of programs and you'll find it.

It's the (b) method you want. It's the Windows 10 desktop email client. The pro here is that because it is a running desktop application it is designed to work with Windows 10's notification system. All the options are right there in Mail's settings to configure your notifications, including sound and banners.

Some more info: You'll also note that in Windows 10's list of programs, you'll find one called Calendar and one called People. "Mail," "Calendar" and "People" all take you to that same desktop application.

With Mail you can integrate the various email accounts you have all over the place. Likewise, with Calendar you can integrate the various Calendar services from all over the place that have become adjunct service to email. And, People will integrate your various contacts lists from the same services.

Some people just prefer to use their web browser and access Google Mail or Microsoft's Outlook the "traditional" way. Other people like using a desktop application that integrates various accounts all in one place.

To rub salt in your wound, currently there seems to be a hiccup concerning Windows 10's notifications. I too have stopped receiving any notifications from any application, and I'm not the only one. I wonder if this might be a problem of yours too. I'm working on fixing this and I'll email you privately if and when I come with something.

But first, check if you are using the right program. Maybe notifications are working just fine for you and you're just using the wrong program.

Lastly, I'm not one of those Microsoft haters. I like Windows 10 a lot. One of my current projects is to switch over to the Mail/Calendar/People desktop application. I'd like to centralize all of my agenda-type stuff and notifications and contacts all in one place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Do you have the option of using Windows Mail? It doesn't have the functionality of Outlook but it does have notifications and comes standard with Windows 10 (again unless you're in a locked down enterprise environment where they didn't install it). Type "Mail" into the Search/Cortana box and if you get a result that is just called "Mail" (with a blue icon showing an envelope), try clicking on it. If it starts up, then you should be able to add your email account to it - you'll probably need some info from your IT guys to set it up.

I’ll give this a whirl Monday morning.

Perrin2017 wrote:
Scroll down to message options and make sure display notifications when a new email arrives and probably check play a sound when new items arrive.

I’ve done that, but the warehouse is so noisy, and I’m not always close to my station, so I’ve never heard any sound.

Come to think of it, I’m not sure my unit even has speakers. There’s not any on the monitor, and the mini-tower doesn’t seem to have any.

Shadowen wrote:
Do you have the option to add a 2nd monitor to your PC?

No. The only person in the company who has two monitors is the Receptionist/Admin Assistant, because one is used for the phone system, which runs through the computer.

Quixote171 wrote:
You could use a program like Thunderbird (same folks behind Firefox) - it's essentially an Outlook replacement.

I wondered about that. I was able to download some photos from a thumb drive to use for my background, so I might be able to do the same with Thunderbird.

isaacc wrote:
(a) Use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge to access Microsoft's web-application email system, called Outlook. I still type in www.Hotmail.com but it gets me to outlook.live.com.

(b) Microsoft has always provided a basic simple desktop email client as part of their operating system. The Windows 10 version is just called "Mail". Look for it in your list of programs and you'll find it.

It's the (b) method you want. It's the Windows 10 desktop email client. The pro here is that because it is a running desktop application it is designed to work with Windows 10's notification system. All the options are right there in Mail's settings to configure your notifications, including sound and banners.

Thanks for the clarification.

Since I don’t have speakers (although there is an old pair nearby I might try plugging in) I wouldn’t get sound, but if something would pop up on the screen, either on the taskbar or systray -- or even in the middle of the screen -- that would work great. I’ll look at this on Monday, also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be worth checking if your work email account can access Office 365, i.e. go to the O365 website & try to login using your company email address as the username & webmail password as the password. If that works you may be able to install Outlook yourself from O365.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a solution. See the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.