Subject: Modifying Die Rolls for Stones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Yanikowski
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I played a couple of demo games of UnEarth last night and we modified the dice with Delver cards and other modifications as one is supposed to. We ran into situations where we rolled a 4 on a die and then it was modified with a Delver card to make it a three. We then got a Stone. That happened often. I don't think we should have been doing that. It seemed right at the time. All four of us were doing it on multiple games.

I got to read the rules online at home. The second to the last FAQ on page 10 of the rules says, "Changing a die to 1, 2, or 3 with a modifier card does not result in a gained Stone." Should the Stones only be given for unmodfied 1,2,3 rolls(you get the Stone and then modify the die)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ransom

Iowa City
Iowa
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,

You were playing correctly. The FAQ is referencing cards that modify dice already on Ruins, such as the Forlorn card which gives a die already on a Ruin -2. This card is not changing a roll that is being made and does not grant a Stone.

You are allowed (and encouraged!) to use cards such as Reading the Stones to turn a rolled 4 into a 3 in order to gain a Stone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Yanikowski
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks. It is good to know that we did it right. I am also glad to know so we can play it correctly when my preorder arrives.
Not getting Stones for modifying dice already on ruins makes sense. I don't think we that when we played, but I can make sure we don't get Stones from modified ruins dice the next time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We initially played this incorrectly and did not give stones when a Delver modified the roll. We eventually figured out that it meant modifying existing dice and not modifying and upcoming roll.

The rules could use a clarification of that distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.