Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » General

Subject: Selling a Man-o-War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: answer_in_the_rulebook [+] [View All]
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So a common strategy is to earn 5 regular Glory Points, stash 40 gold and then finish the game by selling your Galleon or Frigate in your home port and stashing your last 10 gold.

If I were to somehow acquire a Man-o-War, can I sell it? If so, for how much?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firemark .
United States
California
flag msg tools
"You can never be “ship-less” – you must buy a new ship when selling your old one. If that isn’t possible, then you can’t sell your ship."

"Note that the Man-o-War cannot be bought nor sold. It can only be obtained by a hostile takeover and must be abandoned when acquiring a new ship!"

Taken from page 8 of the rule book. Man-o-War can't be sold!

So your strategy would not work you would only get 10 gold for the transaction selling your Galleon or Frigate and being required to buy another ship which is a minimum of 10 gold.

I'd say keep the ship and go for a rumor or mission to get that last glory point, or attack a weaker NPC/player ship, or load up on special weapons and try a merchant raid for 12 gold and the win!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thx Firemark!

Yeah, I'd read that later after I'd posted my thread. RTFR, right? :0)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, you can sell Special Weapons for 1 gold each (not the Ship Modifications though)

In the expansion, it's possible to have 6 ship mods.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mrmer1in wrote:
Dave, you can sell Special Weapons for 1 gold each (not the Ship Modifications though)

In the expansion, it's possible to have 6 ship mods.


You must mean special weapons for the bold. The number of possible ship mods is much higher (is it two more in the expansion added to the 8 in the base?).

There can be a few gold to gain from selling a big ship with ship mods on, but only if there are more mods than damage on the ship (each damage is -1 gold and each ship mod is +1 gold when selling).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:
Dave, you can sell Special Weapons for 1 gold each (not the Ship Modifications though)

In the expansion, it's possible to have 6 ship mods.


You must mean special weapons for the bold. The number of possible ship mods is much higher (is it two more in the expansion added to the 8 in the base?).

There can be a few gold to gain from selling a big ship with ship mods on, but only if there are more mods than damage on the ship (each damage is -1 gold and each ship mod is +1 gold when selling).


Yes, sure. Was just pointing out a way to get a bit extra money when trying to finish the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mrmer1in wrote:
Randor20 wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:
Dave, you can sell Special Weapons for 1 gold each (not the Ship Modifications though)

In the expansion, it's possible to have 6 ship mods.


You must mean special weapons for the bold. The number of possible ship mods is much higher (is it two more in the expansion added to the 8 in the base?).

There can be a few gold to gain from selling a big ship with ship mods on, but only if there are more mods than damage on the ship (each damage is -1 gold and each ship mod is +1 gold when selling).


Yes, sure. Was just pointing out a way to get a bit extra money when trying to finish the game.


I know you were, but you wrongly wrote "ship mods" at the end. Perfectly natural that I corrected this.

My last part was also just another way get a few gold to get the win. I have used this in combination with selling special weapons once or twice to get the win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:
Randor20 wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:
Dave, you can sell Special Weapons for 1 gold each (not the Ship Modifications though)

In the expansion, it's possible to have 6 ship mods.


You must mean special weapons for the bold. The number of possible ship mods is much higher (is it two more in the expansion added to the 8 in the base?).

There can be a few gold to gain from selling a big ship with ship mods on, but only if there are more mods than damage on the ship (each damage is -1 gold and each ship mod is +1 gold when selling).


Yes, sure. Was just pointing out a way to get a bit extra money when trying to finish the game.


I know you were, but you wrongly wrote "ship mods" at the end. Perfectly natural that I corrected this.

My last part was also just another way get a few gold to get the win. I have used this in combination with selling special weapons once or twice to get the win.


You cannot sell ship mods separately.
You cannot sell your ship to get money, because the rules say you can't be ship-less.
Ship mods can only be sold with a ship, * asterisk on player guide card says that.
That means the ship mods cannot be sold to make money. It's only ever done when selling a ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mrmer1in wrote:
Randor20 wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:
Randor20 wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:
Dave, you can sell Special Weapons for 1 gold each (not the Ship Modifications though)

In the expansion, it's possible to have 6 ship mods.


You must mean special weapons for the bold. The number of possible ship mods is much higher (is it two more in the expansion added to the 8 in the base?).

There can be a few gold to gain from selling a big ship with ship mods on, but only if there are more mods than damage on the ship (each damage is -1 gold and each ship mod is +1 gold when selling).


Yes, sure. Was just pointing out a way to get a bit extra money when trying to finish the game.


I know you were, but you wrongly wrote "ship mods" at the end. Perfectly natural that I corrected this.

My last part was also just another way get a few gold to get the win. I have used this in combination with selling special weapons once or twice to get the win.


You cannot sell ship mods separately.
You cannot sell your ship to get money, because the rules say you can't be ship-less.
Ship mods can only be sold with a ship, * asterisk on player guide card says that.
That means the ship mods cannot be sold to make money. It's only ever done when upgrading a ship.


I'm not saying that you sell your ship and don't buy a new one - or saying you sell ship mods seperately. Where in my post do I write that?

Here is an example - please tell me what is wrong with this:

I have a Galleon with 4 ship mods on and it has 1 damage. When I sell the ship I would get 13 gold, since I get +1 gold for each ship mod, but -1 gold for each damage. Now I need to buy a new ship, since I cannot be shipless. I then buy a sloop at 10 gold. So my gain would be:

13 gold - 10 gold = 3 gold

So I have just sold my ship, bought a new one and gained some gold. Very little but maybe just enough to get the win. Throw in a few special weapons sold like you wrote and it starts to add up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have a Galleon with 4 ship mods on and it has 1 damage. When I sell the ship I would get 13 gold, since I get +1 gold for each ship mod, but -1 gold for each damage. Now I need to buy a new ship, since I cannot be shipless. I then buy a sloop at 10 gold. So my gain would be:

13 gold - 10 gold = 3 gold


Yes, Carsten, you are definitely right. Did not think of that.

I only ever sold my special weapons, didn't think of downgrading.
This would have helped in some games where I had 6+ ship mods arrrh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.