Tiny Epic Galaxies» Forums » General

Subject: Secret Missions kinda pointless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that the secret missions aren't really useful as most of the time, people will pick the 3-point one if they are able to. And most of the time, it will be completed by end game making it kinda pointless if everyone picks the 3-point missions.

I kinda wish it could be something like Ticket to Ride where you can draw more secret missions along the way and attempt to complete them for more hidden points, thereby making the end-game scoring slightly more suspenseful.

Anyone else feels the same way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it depends. If there is a run away victor, then chances are the secret mission is pointless to me to even complete. But I have had 2 games where the secret mission put someone over the top by 1 or 2 points to win. So its sorta touch and go for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've made a houserule that sort of helps with this and at the same time makes the game a little more interesting in the end phase.

We still deal out 2 Secret Missons cards to each player, however the player is NOT allowed to look at the cards and MUST keep both of them. It is after all... a Secret Mission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dunaway
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blipadouzi wrote:
We've made a houserule that sort of helps with this and at the same time makes the game a little more interesting in the end phase.

We still deal out 2 Secret Missons cards to each player, however the player is NOT allowed to look at the cards and MUST keep both of them. It is after all... a Secret Mission

I really like that idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if every player always scores their secret mission every mission (and they should), that doesn't make the missions pointless. The missions give each player some different area of the game to focus on, so that there's a little more texture to the choices than just 'everyone rush the best visible option.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
will anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was teaching a friend the game. Going into a round of the game I had 14 points to his 15 points. I hit 21 points to trigger the final round of the game.

On that round, he was able to collect some planets to get him to 20 points, and also complete his secret mission.

He reveals the secret mission, getting him to 22 points. Then I reveal that I also completed my mission, bringing me to 23 points.

It was a very intense end to the game. Even though he lost, he still had fun doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Unspecified
msg tools
passthedynamite wrote:
I kinda wish it could be something like Ticket to Ride where you can draw more secret missions along the way

Oh heavens no.

That's one of the aspects I do not like about Ticket to Ride. The latter half of the game becomes too much about drawing those tickets than it is about building tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.