Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prior to last year's BGG.con, I managed to convince my wife that we should look at the tables on display there. In particular, the price point of the BoardGameTables Duchess intrigued us, so I had gotten agreement that if we liked the looks of them, we would order one.

Fast Forward to today, and I now have two different board game tables from two different companies - GeekNSon and McFadden, so I thought I'd give a bit of a rundown of the differences between the two.

First off, the GeekNSon Denis. I mentioned the Duchess up above, and we looked at them at BGG.con, but were ultimately convinced to spend a little more money to buy the demo model of the Denis from the con. The biggest thing from my perspective was the playing surface. I didn't like the surface in the BoardGameTables ones as much - though obviously that's just a personal preference. The Duchess was nice, but the GeekNSon tables were just a little nicer (but also significantly more expensive)

GeekNSon were easy to deal with at the con, and after we priced out a custom table, we settled on the display model, with double sided inset, LEDs and their leaves.

There was some trouble getting the demo table shipped to us, and it wound up taking until late February to arrive - no fault on GeekNSon, they were dealing with a third party who was handling the demo tables, and apparently wasn't overly reliable. They were very helpful over the phone, and very patient with us (I guess you could say we were pretty patient too - it all turned out in the end, sort of.)

When the table arrived, it had unfortunately been dropped on it's head a time or two, and had a pretty serious crack in one of the corners. We took pictures, sent them off to GeekNSon, and got things settled out. Without getting into details, they took care of us, we kept the table, and have been using it as our dining room table since then.

Our intention was to buy a table to sit in our dining room, and if we liked it, to save up to buy a second table to put downstairs in our "games room." As a result of the shipping insurance situation, the time for ordering a second table came sooner than expected. We have a few different needs for the games room - in particular, we have some nice bar height chairs that we wanted to use down there.

We went through the custom pricing process with GeekNSon, but with the CAD exchange rate being...poor...we decided to look at other options. After some back and forth with McFadden tables, we got a table priced out that was pretty close in price to the GeekNSon we had priced out - difference in exchange rate meaning it was significantly cheaper, and should be faster turnaround, with it being built in Canada and not requiring any international shipping.

First email to McFadden was April 4, and the table arrived today, so basically 3 months from first contact to having a table.

So, bottom line, how do the two stack up?

They're both pretty awesome.

McFadden
Pros:
* Offers a cool "cradle" that allows the playing surface to be raised up flush with the top of the table, which will be handy for games with bigger space requirements - like if I ever get High Frontier to the table.
* Ordering process was pretty painless, lots of options, the table was completely custom, top to bottom for me
* Flexible options, including investigating Speed Cloth as a surface for me, which isn't their normal standard
* The shipping crate they built was incredible, the table arrived completely as it was shipped, despite the crate having seen some rough handling along the way
* Assembly was easy - the legs were labeled individually, so the bolts lined up perfectly. Leg levelers made it easy to level the table.

Cons:
* The cupholders have a lot of extra wood around the cupholder itself, making them much bigger than the GeekNSon cupholders
* It did take an extra few weeks to arrive beyond the estimate, but honestly it wasn't a big deal.

GeekNSon
Pros:
* The leaves have a rubber gasket to protect the playing surface if there any any spills when the table is in dining table mode, and also have a handy channel to guide liquid through to the floor - and we've leveraged that feature a couple of times with pretty significant water spills.
* Cupholders have a nice cork bottom in them, so they're quieter than the bare metal ones
* The aforementioned water channel can substitute as a card holder in some instances - worked well when playing Dixit with my 5 year old niece
* The LEDs are a neat little feature that I'll likely never actually use, but it's fun to show off. If I were getting a custom table, I wouldn't pay for them.

Cons:
* I don't know how their normal shipping packaging is, but ours was just packed in cardboard and then wrapped with plastic wrap. End result was that the table arrived damaged, and one corner can't hold any accessories in the rail
* Assembly wasn't difficult, but it wasn't easy either. The bolts are in a tight space, where I couldn't get a ratchet. We had a bit of trouble getting the bolts to line up with the leg properly until we got the "right" leg in the right spot - which was trial and error.

Fit and finish on both tables is outstanding, and they're both very beautiful pieces of furniture. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with either of them again - though I don't expect to be in the market for a board game table ever again.

Accessories from the McFadden table fit into the rail on the GeekNSon table, but not vice versa. They don't fit perfectly, so they're not completely flat - depending on the accessory that could be an issue or not - I think for cupholders it won't bother me too much. The GeekNSon accessories can't clip in past the lip of the McFadden table, so they're not completely interchangable.

I'll post some pictures of the two tables later, but I thought I'd get my thoughts up first. I'll answer any questions people have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerren Lippett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Greg!

Nice to see this from us here at Geeknson! The problems that we had with the delivery were frustrating for all of us, and ones that we've learned from for sure! Our tables now go direct door-to-door for anyone in the USA and Canada along with our new packaging!

We're glad that you are enjoying the table though! What was your first game on there when you got it all set up and ready?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeeknsonK wrote:
We're glad that you are enjoying the table though! What was your first game on there when you got it all set up and ready?

I think the first one we played was Stone Age, which my son won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some pictures?

Here's the McFadden's packing crate after opening it:

Here's the McFadden table after being set up:

Here's the McFadden table with Fuse on it (not actual gameplay, just threw some cards out there and rolled some dice)

This one shows the cradle in place, but without the playing surface on it. Also shows the cup holders:

This one shows both the GeekNSon and McFadden cupholders in the GeekNSon Denis:

Here's a pic of the Denis with one of the leaves taken out:

I'll take more shots of the Denis this weekend to post here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Olivas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review, thanks, how much these two tables cost with the accesories you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember what the quoted retail price was on the Denis that I bought - I think it was in the USD$5500 range
The Denis I have is:
36"x 63" vault
White Ash
Width-wise leaves
Strake
1x Wine glass holder
2x cup holder
1x counter holder
1x bin
1x Desk with shelf
2x acrylic bin
LED Lights w/ remote
Leaf storage

You can probably add that all up based on their catalog and come up with a more accurate number. Add shipping and duty/taxes on to that too. I got a deal on it because it was a demo model.

The McFadden was CAD$4600-ish including tax and shipping (~$3500USD)
Slightly different dimensions:
70"x36" vault
42" height
Cradle to optionally raise the playing surface up to flush
8 cup holders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
How does the leaf storage work... can you post under-the-table photos of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't actually install it - we found that it lowered the bottom of the table too much, and made it uncomfortable to sit at. It's basically just a couple of boards that run the length of the table underneath, that you can slide the leaves into when they're not on top of the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
Nodecam wrote:
I didn't actually install it - we found that it lowered the bottom of the table too much, and made it uncomfortable to sit at. It's basically just a couple of boards that run the length of the table underneath, that you can slide the leaves into when they're not on top of the table.

Good to know, thanks for the info. Would you happen to know the height of your Geeknson table? Is it the standard 77 cm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
jameskk wrote:
Good to know, thanks for the info. Would you happen to know the height of your Geeknson table? Is it the standard 77 cm?

Yes, it's the standard 77cm. The bottom of the table is 64cm from the floor without the leaf storage rails. I don't know how much lower the leaf storage rails take it, but it was too much for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nodecam wrote:
jameskk wrote:

Yes, it's the standard 77cm. The bottom of the table is 64cm from the floor without the leaf storage rails. I don't know how much lower the leaf storage rails take it, but it was too much for us.
Sounds like a recipe for bruised knees.

Pete (cringes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan N'Only
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering: For tables like these where the accessories (such as cup holders) fit in slot along the side of the table, if you accidentally bump the accessory from below (e.g., raising your hand up to the table), will the accessory fall out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
With both of these tables, it would require a pretty significant jolt to knock them out - you have to get them around 30-45 degrees to pull them out.

That's not to say they don't get jostled, but the whole point of having them mounted on the outside of the table is that the table and contents are more or less safe from liquid spills.

We used a counter holder as a cupholder when we ran short of cupholders. The beer glass that was sitting on it got knocked over. The carpet got wet, but essentially no big deal. If I had enough cupholders it wouldn't have happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan N'Only
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nodecam wrote:
With both of these tables, it would require a pretty significant jolt to knock them out - you have to get them around 30-45 degrees to pull them out.

That's not to say they don't get jostled, but the whole point of having them mounted on the outside of the table is that the table and contents are more or less safe from liquid spills.

We used a counter holder as a cupholder when we ran short of cupholders. The beer glass that was sitting on it got knocked over. The carpet got wet, but essentially no big deal. If I had enough cupholders it wouldn't have happened.

Thanks, Greg. So if you have to tip them to get them out, I'm guessing the slot and the part of the accessory that goes into the slot are L shaped instead of simply rectangular. Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
juannonly wrote:

Thanks, Greg. So if you have to tip them to get them out, I'm guessing the slot and the part of the accessory that goes into the slot are L shaped instead of simply rectangular. Is that correct?

If I remember right, the GeekNSon are L shaped and the McFadden are U shaped. If you blow up this picture:

you can see the shadow of the cupholders just to the right of the middle.

I'll try to remember to post profile pictures of both cupholders when I get home tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb

There you can get an idea of the differences. The McFadden accessories have a more substantial feel to them. Both of them use the same size aluminium (?) cupholder insert - the GeekNSon insert has a cork lined bottom, which reduces the noise when putting glasses in them. The McFadden insert has no lining, which means they're really easy to clean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan N'Only
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, Greg. That makes it very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
Greg, I'm surprised you said that you wouldn't hesitate do business with either of these companies again, even though the geeknson table came damaged. How could they possibly rectify that to your satisfaction, except to send another table or refund nearly all of the purchase price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you read between the lines, GeekNSon took care of me - they gave me a couple of options on how to deal with the situation, and I chose the one that worked best for me. I don't feel comfortable discussing the particulars of the offers publicly though.

I attribute the damage to the lack of shipping prep due to the fact that I got a demo table that wasn't packaged by GeekNSon themselves - they had a third party that I don't think they'll use again in the future.

If I were to buy a table from them again, I'd want to ensure it was packaged in a way that ensure it won't be damaged by rough handling. I have faith that they can manage it - there's no way they can stay in business if their tables are consistently damaged in transit.

Mistakes happen, my opinion on GeekNSon is still positive because of how they handled this one. If they'd been difficult to work with, or unwilling to make it right, I'd have mentioned it here without a doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerren Lippett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi there folks! Kerren here from Geeknson and I can confirm the above! We have indeed had a look at our shipping procedures and it's something we have been always trying to evolve. Unless the table is coming from a third party (which has happened maybe once or twice since we've been in business), we package all of our tables ourselves.

If it's EU based, we actually have our own Geeknson Van where we hand deliver tables that have been ordered. For US Orders, we've started using crates to help pack the tables and they are heat-treated and delivered with that packaging intact. It's something that we have improved upon and will continue to improve in the future as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.