Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought the Hessian would have been Orange or Grey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I thought it an unfortunate choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Maybe once the blocks themselves are shown then the color difference will become more apparent. If the Hessian blocks are a darker navy or Prussian blue while the Continental blocks are a lighter royal or cobalt blue then I am fine with that.

I think Hessian uniforms of the time were actually a dark blue color, so I guess that part is accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would anyone consider repainting their Hessian blocks before applying their stickers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly, I too would prefer them to be orange or something not as close to the blue already in use. I hope they will display more of a color difference when they arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm out. I was interested in this, but there's no way I'm playing a game where blue and slightly darker blue are on opposite sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
I'm out. I was interested in this, but there's no way I'm playing a game where blue and slightly darker blue are on opposite sides.

I'm still in. Ofcourse, it's my brother's copy of the game well be playing, so no money out of my pocket. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

I don't understand why the Hessians/Germans are a different color any way. The colors on the stickers reflect the different types of units. The Hessians are professional/regular troops like the British regulars.

The purpose of blocks in wargames is to simulate fog of war. Coloring the Hessian blocks differently than the rest of the British units (all red) gives away too much information. Deletion: As pointed out further down, C&C isn't really a block game.

I'd make all of Hessian blocks red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Eldard wrote:
The purpose of blocks in wargames is to simulate fog of war. Coloring the Hessian blocks differently than the rest of the British units (all red) gives away too much information.
In C&C games the blocks are stickered on both sides, so they aren't "block games" in the fog-of-war sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Eldard wrote:
The purpose of blocks in wargames is to simulate fog of war. Coloring the Hessian blocks differently than the rest of the British units (all red) gives away too much information.
In C&C games the blocks are stickered on both sides, so they aren't "block games" in the fog-of-war sense.

Doh -- you're absolutely correct. Lost my head. I should've known better because on other threads, I've maintained that C&C is not block system.

Thanks for the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
StevenE wrote:

I don't understand why the Hessians/Germans are a different color any way. The colors on the stickers reflect the different types of units. The Hessians are professional/regular troops like the British regulars.

Yes, but I believe the Hessians have some slightly different rules than British troops of the same type, so they need to be differentiated.

I would guess people are making too big a deal about this. Obviously, no final determination will be made till we see it on the board, but I think it likely that for most people the combination of different sticker art and block color will make the Hessians easy enough to tell apart. I know there were similar complaints about the Prussian blocks in CCN, but in the end, very few people had any real issues with the blocks once they were on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
Eldard wrote:
StevenE wrote:

Yes, but I believe the Hessians have some slightly different rules than British troops of the same type, so they need to be differentiated.

I would guess people are making too big a deal about this. Obviously, no final determination will be made till we see it on the board, but I tihnk it likely that for most people the combination of different sticker art and block color will make the Hessians easy enough to tell apart. I know there were similar complaints about the Prussian blocks in CCN, but in the end, very few people had any real issues with the blocks once they were on the board.

I would expect the Hessians to be governed by the same rules as British regulars, whereas Tories (militia - red) would be different. But I'm just speculating -- I haven't played the C&C Napoleonics, which I assume the rules are borrowed from.

Ultimately, other nationalities will likely be introduced (i.e. French, Spanish) with their own unique colors. Still, the Hessians/Germans aren't a distinct power or even British allies -- they are essentially mercenaries in service of the British.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
Eldard wrote:
StevenE wrote:

I would guess people are making too big a deal about this. Obviously, no final determination will be made till we see it on the board, but I tihnk it likely that for most people the combination of different sticker art and block color will make the Hessians easy enough to tell apart. I know there were similar complaints about the Prussian blocks in CCN, but in the end, very few people had any real issues with the blocks once they were on the board.

A voice of reason to my Chicken Little post...

We won't know for sure until the game is received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

I would expect the Hessians to be governed by the same rules as British regulars, whereas Tories (militia - red) would be different. But I'm just speculating -- I haven't played the C&C Napoleonics, which I assume the rules are borrowed from.

Ultimately, other nationalities will likely be introduced (i.e. French, Spanish) with their own unique colors. Still, the Hessians/Germans aren't a distinct power or even British allies -- they are essentially mercenaries in service of the British.

As per the rules posted, Hessian Regular Infantry have melee bonuses over British Regular infantry when ordered in conjunction with a couple of specific cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark douglas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I dont mind what colours they use. I will play with minis on a mat.

Enclosed are samples, not in order, of British regular, British light, British provincial, Highland, Ranger, Tory militia, Hessian grenadier, British grenadier, American provincial, American regular, American light.

I was pretty sure i had done Hessian regulars, must have a look. I know the British arent quite right for 1770s but i have a large pro and anti Jacobite army and dont see why i should keep buying more and more figures.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Paint the blocks, it's not hard- I always paint the blocks now before I sticker anything. Have ever since the CC ancient "eastern empires/Persian" color variance from expansion 1,6, and 4. BYW, I painted the Prussians blocks black in CC Napoleonic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armatiman wrote:
Paint the blocks, it's not hard- I always paint the blocks now before I sticker anything. Have ever since the CC ancient "eastern empires/Persian" color variance from expansion 1,6, and 4. BYW, I painted the Prussians blocks black in CC Napoleonic.

How are you preventing chipping?
I have a set of blocks I painted, used Krylon spray, and sealed with a spray varnish... It didn't take long for the edges to start chipping.

[edit]
I am planning on doing the Hessian blocks in a shade of orange... unless someone has a better color recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
armatiman wrote:

How are you preventing chipping?
I have a set of blocks I painted, used Krylon spray, and sealed with a spray varnish... It didn't take long for the edges to start chipping.

[edit]
I am planning on doing the Hessian blocks in a shade of orange... unless someone has a better color recommendation.

I have a couple uniform books covering the era. Roughly, my plan is to flip the colors so my Continentals are the darker blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Steven, I coat the sides with gloss poly-acrylic, I brush it on. It is time consuming I grant that. It took me a month to do all of the Napoleonic armies but they are like porcelain now. No chips in almost a year. All my ancient armies are completely except for the 'purple late east/west Roman) that will take about 2 day and maybe 3 baseball games. I love baseball.⚾️

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also intend to flip the royalist blocks to medium green as since I had three ancestors in the New Jersey royals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh... I should have come back and read this thread... too late

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where paint is concerned, you can always change your mind.

FWIW, orange or buff sounds like good alternative colors for the Hessians, too. Academy's 1775: Rebellion uses orange for the Hessian blocks, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with the path of least resistance... Hessian are staying dark blue, there is enough contrast in the blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I went with the path of least resistance... Hessian are staying dark blue, there is enough contrast in the blocks.

I agree with this. The colors are just fine as they are. No confusion whatsoever between Prussian and Continental units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the color contrast is just fine but there are other clues to avoid confusion:

All Continental forces are aiming / facing / moving to the right on their blocks, while all British and Hessian forces are aiming / facing / moving to the left on their blocks.

Other than the artwork (obviously) being nationality specific Hessian grenadiers have 3 figures while British grenadiers have 2 figures on the artwork, etc.

These visual clues and the contrasted color prevent any confusion.

Finally: Hessian uniform coats were historically dark blue, were they not? Where would orange come from?

- C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.