BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: SLT help? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how to create SLT files that might be willing to assist with a board game prototype project? I recently gained access to a 3D printer. The project isn't complex for someone who knows the software. Unfortunately, I am sorely lacking in this regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well firstly I believe you mean "STL"
and to get one you save or export a 3d model file as a .stl
depending on what programs your using that should be fairly straight foreword

do you need help learning how to make something yourself or are you looking for someone to design up what you want printed?
what printer are you using? do you have any modeling software yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
STL. Indeed. Sorry for the confusion. I'd be happy to learn myself if someone could make a recommendation on which software to use. I tried a free online app the other day, but the multiple layers didn't save properly.

As to the printer, a friend who owns a 3D printer has offered to print the items for me, so I'm not sure what model. But (though I goofed up on my end), he has already printed an awesome 3D Catan board, so I know what it's capable of. I just need to learn more.

I'm looking to create this.

The middle need not be designed as elaborately. But I would like to create at about a 7 inch tile, with all the black lines slightly thicker and raised. And perhaps sink the numbers a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be best off searching google for "best free 3d modeling software" then asking your friend if they know any of them. On hand knowledge is useful when you already have your end product in mind.

"tinkercad" is one of the more basic 3d modelers out there so I'd suggest checking out that first. "123d design" would be a step up if you need it, but I don't think you do. Not exactly sure what you want in the middle but I think those would work. Both are free, will get you a stl file and I believe have enough youtube tutorials to help you out. Tinkercad also runs in a web browser and has cloud storage so you can design at home and if your friend spots something wrong with it you guys should be able to fix it on the spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.