Hide
7 Posts

Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2v2v2 - a 6 player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Meares
msg tools
I recently purchased Xia + the expansion and after loads of research I'm extremely excited to play. It looks absolutely amazing for 1-4 players. However, my game group occasionally consists of 6 people...

So I had the idea of attempting a 2v2v2 set up, in which teammates would take their turns simultaneously and would share a fame counter. The simultaneous turns would ensure downtime is similar to 3-4 player games.

Are there any major issues with this? What other rule / balance tweaks could be made?

Thanks to everyone who replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main issue I see with this or any team variant is that piracy could be very frustrating. If both members of a team have a D20 missile or 2 on their ship then they can blow someone up every single turn and there's not much you could do about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Could just say only one ship on each team can carry weapons. Or only one can have tier 2 weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Meares
msg tools
Ya, that was one of the major concerns I had. Simplest fix, I think, would simply be to disallow teammates attacking a single target per turn. That way offensive / defensive balance is maintained.

If you think of anything else or a more creative solution, please post. Thanks!

CptBlood wrote:
Could just say only one ship on each team can carry weapons. Or only one can have tier 2 weapons.

Ninja post ninja lol. This is certainly more creative. How do you think this compares in terms of balance vs my proposed (albeit hacky) solution above?

I think I slightly prefer the no ganging up rule as it would still allow both players to be pirates if they so desired. They would just have to alternate their targets (would could actually be a strong strategy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had 6 players who wanted to play Xia, I would probably try to play two 3 player games.

But assuming you don't have two copies of the game, I could also imagine some team variant that goes something like this:

CAVEAT: This is completely unofficial and untested! Play with these rules at your own risk! (But if you do, please let me know how it goes! )

Parallel Galaxies
Setup one normal 3 player game (with Nyr in the center)
Setup another 3 player game (with Lost Sector in the center instead of Nyr)

Split the remaining sector tiles evenly between the two parallel galaxies (that way, if one game explores faster than the other, they don't end up with all the sectors).

The two parallel galaxies are separate games, with the following exceptions/modifications:
- Once a ship is bought in one game, it cannot be used in the other game.

- Both parallel galaxies share the same economy board, titles, and events. Only draw for titles and events when the first player from any game reaches the threshold. Some events may be wonky. Make reasonable rulings as needed to maximize fun (e.g. Only spawn the Derelict Hulk in the galaxy that has Nyr.)

- Don't use NPCs. It's going to be messy enough as-is.

- For clarity, let's say Game 1 has players A1, B1, and C1. Game 2 has players A2, B2, and C2.

- Ensure that the seating order is A1, B1, C1 in one game and C2, B2, A2 in another game.

- It's expected that the turns between each game gets out of sync. If players in two different games want to buy the same ship at the same time, roll a d20 to decide who gets first pick. Also, this rule should encourage slightly faster play times and decision making, which is a good thing!

- The game ends as soon as any player in either game reaches the FP threshold. They finish their turn. The current player in the other game finishes their turn. Add the FP scores of each team. The team with the highest total wins. If there's a tie, compare the lower scores of each team member (higher wins). If there's still a tie, whoever crossed the FP threshold wins. If both (or neither) team crossed the FP threshold, it's a tie!

- At the end of your turn, you may place items into a "transfer area." At the end of your teammate's turn, they may take any/all of the items in their transfer area (or leave them until a future turn). e.g. At the end of A1's turn, they may place something in a transfer area that only player A2 may claim. The items remain in the transfer area until A2 chooses to claim them at the end of any of A2's turns.

Here are the things that can be placed in the transfer area:
- A cargo cube
- A relic (that hasn't been sifted yet)
- A mission (face up or face down, including any of the missions you drew this turn, if desired)
- 1000 credits
- One undamaged outfit

You may add up to 3 things at the end of each of your turns. e.g. you could send 2 cargo cubes and a mission, or 3 missions.

You may take any number of the things at the end of your turn.

Once you place something in the transfer area for your partner, only they can take it. You can't get it back (unless they send it back to you).

If a mission is placed in the transfer area face down, your partner may look at it before deciding whether or not to take it.

If you take something from your transfer area, you may not immediately send it back to your partner. You must wait until your next turn to send it back.

If your ship is destroyed, cargo/relic/missions will be discarded first, before you have a chance to put them in your transfer area. Immediately clear off damage from your ship (except for 1/2/3 damage per the respawn rules), so you could still transfer an undamaged outfit or 1000 credits, if desired.

After destruction, you may TAKE things from your own transfer area, which you'll have when you start your next turn.

I'm sure there will be rules problems, but I think this could be a fun way to play a team Xia game with 6 players that doesn't take forever. Three player games move along at a nice pace. Of course, things will be slowed down because you'll be salvaging Cyber in one game, but won't have any place to sell it, so you'll need to transfer it to your partner to sell it.

Since the overall winner is determined by the total of both players' scores, that should discourage a situation where one player on a team feeds all the points to another player. I think there could be lots of clever plays and interesting interactions among teammates without bogging down the game too much.

Of course, I've never playtested this, and the game wasn't really designed for this, so who knows! If you do try it this way, let me know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Meares
msg tools
^ that is amazing, thank you so much Ira! I will report back once we get a chance to test this. (if anyone beats me to it, feel free to post your results!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony White
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is bound to be a lot of downtime but probably by adding up fps would mitigate that.

This could be fun in a 2-2 also.... Hmmm..

So my thoughts.
1.Sit opposite to each other
2.I would not allow consecutive attacks by fellow players (on one ship, as mentioned before in the thread)
3. Share missions (so 2 missions per 2 players) once started, that player completes it, or not
4. I would make it possible to freely exchange goods/relics when you are adjacent to fellow ship. Cargo room permitting

Could end up in nice chaperone strategies or mining/trade combos.

Who knows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.