Hide
6 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions regarding the Prologue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Vide
msg tools
We tried the Prologue yesterday. Went fine and was great fun but we still are unclear about some minor things, perhaps someone could kindly clear them up

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1) How do the three enemies in the final chamber move and how do they affect spawns?

So at the beginning three enemies spawn in the last chamber of the map. That area is gated off by a normal door. They don't have LOS to any hero. On another post I read that they cannot open doors. So do they just activate their {+} field everytime and pile up in front of the door?

Also, since they pretty much stay on the map for the entire quest doesn't that void basically all potential spawns? We played with 3 heroes and all spawn cards we drew operated under the formula "Heroes minus Monsters on the board minus 1". So unless you roll with a party of 5 you just don't spawn any monsters ever in the Prologue (except for Shadow tokens and such)?

2) Did the "shield" spawn serve any real purpose or was that just there to demonstrate the mechanic?

As detailed in the setup we placed the "shield" spawn token in the room with the vines. And then we went past it, and then it closed as we drew the next Story Card... I don't think we missed anything that could have triggered a spawn. So why was that even there in the first place?

3) How do you loot the treasure chest in the back room?

So in the last room there is this treasure chest. Presumably all the enemies have piled up in front of the entrance to that room. Including the enemy that immediately ends the mission upon being killed. So do you really have to sneak one of the heroes around that battle (possibly provoking opportunity attacks etc.) just to grab that chest? Seemed a bit awkward...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lord_of_emeralds wrote:
We tried the Prologue yesterday. Went fine and was great fun but we still are unclear about some minor things, perhaps someone could kindly clear them up

1) How do the three enemies in the final chamber move and how do they affect spawns?

So at the beginning three enemies spawn in the last chamber of the map. That area is gated off by a normal door. They don't have LOS to any hero. On another post I read that they cannot open doors. So do they just activate their {+} field everytime and pile up in front of the door?

Also, since they pretty much stay on the map for the entire quest doesn't that void basically all potential spawns? We played with 3 heroes and all spawn cards we drew operated under the formula "Heroes minus Monsters on the board minus 1". So unless you roll with a party of 5 you just don't spawn any monsters ever in the Prologue (except for Shadow tokens and such)?

Seems like you are spawning all shadow tokens immediately instead of spawning them when a Hero gets a line of sight to them. There aren't any spawns at the beginning of the scenario, just shadow tokens.

Quote:
2) Did the "shield" spawn serve any real purpose or was that just there to demonstrate the mechanic?

As detailed in the setup we placed the "shield" spawn token in the room with the vines. And then we went past it, and then it closed as we drew the next Story Card... I don't think we missed anything that could have triggered a spawn. So why was that even there in the first place?

Event cards spawn enemies there but because you put enemies on the map right from the start, the spawn formula provided 0 spawns, thus the spawn gate seemed useless.

Quote:
3) How do you loot the treasure chest in the back room?
So in the last room there is this treasure chest. Presumably all the enemies have piled up in front of the entrance to that room. Including the enemy that immediately ends the mission upon being killed. So do you really have to sneak one of the heroes around that battle (possibly provoking opportunity attacks etc.) just to grab that chest? Seemed a bit awkward...

This makes me think that you didn't play the Special Event rules right. The red enemy is spawned when you step inside the main room in the cathedral and activate special event 2.
The scenario book has some extra rules pages that explain how all this works.

The chest is there as extra reward for heroes who are willing to get there before the red enemy dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Vide
msg tools
Ah, I think I see the problem now.

1) Although we did not spawn the Shadow tokens as you suggested (we revealed them normally as we got LOS) I must have misread something in the setup. I don't have it in front of me but I remember that the introductory paragraph in the Storybook immediately instructed us to reveal Storycard 2, which caused the red gremlin and his adds to spawn in the cathedral right from the start. Maybe we got that wrong and it actually pointed to another section in the Book of Secrets or implied that you only reveal that once you get there.

So basically, what your are saying is: those three enemies are not spawned until you enter that last room. Seems very reasonable and I will double check that for sure!

2) The thing with the "shield" spawn was: we never drew an event card that required us to spawn until it had already been closed. Since the event deck is pre-constructed it seemed like a "dead" token and I thought we messed something up. Is there another way to trigger spawns and we just missed it?

Thanks for your help already! Much appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lord_of_emeralds wrote:
Ah, I think I see the problem now.

1) Although we did not spawn the Shadow tokens as you suggested (we revealed them normally as we got LOS) I must have misread something in the setup. I don't have it in front of me but I remember that the introductory paragraph in the Storybook immediately instructed us to reveal Storycard 2, which caused the red gremlin and his adds to spawn in the cathedral right from the start. Maybe we got that wrong and it actually pointed to another section in the Book of Secrets or implied that you only reveal that once you get there.

So basically, what your are saying is: those three enemies are not spawned until you enter that last room. Seems very reasonable and I will double check that for sure!

2) The thing with the "shield" spawn was: we never drew an event card that required us to spawn until it had already been closed. Since the event deck is pre-constructed it seemed like a "dead" token and I thought we messed something up. Is there another way to trigger spawns and we just missed it?

Thanks for your help already! Much appreciated

You didn't miss anything but there may be a catch. There are several event cards that cause enemies to spawn and one of them comes out pretty early.
Unless you somehow managed to trample through the first Gremlins and initiate Event no.1 which closes the first spawn gate, it seems almost impossible to miss that Spawning event card.
Maybe you did draw it but didn't actually spawn anything because of your mistakenly placed miniatures at the quest's setup phase?
This seems more plausible than managing to reach Special Event #1 in 3 turns...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lord_of_emeralds wrote:
I must have misread something in the setup. I don't have it in front of me but I remember that the introductory paragraph in the Storybook immediately instructed us to reveal Storycard 2, which caused the red gremlin and his adds to spawn in the cathedral right from the start.

I think you misinterpreted that paragraph. The intention, as far as I understand, is just to indicate where the cathedral is, not to reveal the card already.
It probably would have been better to reference it by the tile number

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lord_of_emeralds wrote:
I remember that the introductory paragraph in the Storybook immediately instructed us to reveal Storycard 2

It tells you to place Story Card 2 on the map in the designated location so that you can reveal it when you get there. Not to reveal it already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.