Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedemann asked me to release the following official rules change for “Friday”, including detailed reasons, why this is necessary.

I hand over to Friedemann:
6 years after the official release of the physical game “Friday” and almost 100.000 copies sold worldwide, we finally noticed a thematic rules problem in the game.

We just released the “Friday” app. In the last months I tested that app in a very excessive way and found an infinite loop in the game, which produces unlimited life tokens (the maximum number is only limited by the rules).

The idea is simply to draw as many cards as possible. To do so, you need to buy all cards with “+2 cards” and “+2 exchange” actions, plus some “destroy” actions and just enough “+1 life” actions to effort this strategy. The key to this strategy is easy: Just draw more cards even after you already beat the hazard.

What happens: You get rid of the aging cards. Thus, whenever you cycle again through your deck, you won‘t get new aging cards. From a gaming point of view, this is an interesting strategy, but thematically it does not make any sense.

What is wrong with a strong interesting strategy? Nothing at all …

But of course, there is a big problem! Allowing infinite reshuffling, when your Robinson/fighting deck is depleted, your decisions follow this boring procedure: When you fight against the second pirate, just spend all life tokens you have to get more cards, which in turn give you new life tokens. Spend them again to draw more and so on, until you must stop. This way, you should be able to draw all cards of your Robins/fighting stack.

When the draw deck is depleted, you need an active “+2 exchange” or an active “copy” in your display and the second “+2 exchange”. Use the (copied) “+2 exchange” to discard the other “+2 exchange” … just to draw it again as an active action from the “shuffled” new fighting deck. As a second card discard the “+2 life” and also immediately draw it again. Rinse and repeat, until you received all life tokens limited only by the game for a maximum high score.

After I noticed that strategy (and most likely, by far I am late to that party), I got my personal high score of 173 points. I switched off the app and had no interest to play it again.

Thus, from now on “Friday” has the following official rule change:
Second game end condition: Whenever you draw the last aging card, you only have one more cycle through your deck. When you deplete your deck and need to to draw another card, Robinson dies of aging and the game ends.

This new rule affects both the physical game and the app.

This additional game end condition adds two good things to the game: First, you cannot play a boring strategy without meaningful decisions. And second, it is thematically perfect.

I like it! And now I like to play the game again and it is even more challenging.

Best regards, Friedemann

We will include this rule change in future print runs starting in 2018. Of course, this affects mainly gamers, who played a lot of “Friday”, and now have a new challenge to get to new high scores with a limited number of cycles through their fighting decks.

We wish you a lot of fun with “Friday”, both with the physical copies and with the app.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaas-Jan
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
Good decision. It also makes the strategy of always taking the most dangerous opponent in the beginning of the game to lose all your "distracted" and "weak" cards a lot more risky.

By the way:
Quote:
The key to this strategy is easy: Just draw more cards even after you already beat the hazard.

This shouldn't be allowed either. It also makes thematically no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a very good change. It makes the game much more interesting, makes it challenging again for experienced players, and it's a very thematic rule.

Thanks.

I'd still like to request an new difficulty level 6, though .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kneeland
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Once a hazard is defeated, there should be no more card drawing. You can't super beat wild animals. They are defeated or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ckneeland wrote:
I agree. Once a hazard is defeated, there should be no more card drawing. You can't super beat wild animals. They are defeated or not.

No continually whacking their dead bodies with sticks just to let out all that rage of being stuck on a remote island? Damn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Henning, will there be updated .pdf files of the rules made available, and if so, can you please post a little announcement when they're ready?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
No continually whacking their dead bodies with sticks just to let out all that rage of being stuck on a remote island? Damn.

This N made me think of this S

laugh

But on a serious note, I'm going to agree that continuing to draw should be against the rules. Funny thing, it's been a while since I actually sat and played the game, but continuing to draw after defeating a hazard is so anti-thematic that I'm pretty sure it never even occurred to me to do it.

(I just won a copy of Friday in the monthly G4GG raffles though, so I'm having a renewed desire to sit and play a few games!)

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

Henning, will there be updated .pdf files of the rules made available, and if so, can you please post a little announcement when they're ready?

Of course, we will update PDFs of the rules, too.

But each partner worldwide needs to decide, if and when they upload their localized files.

Best regards,

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the fuss about being able to draw extra cards. Thematically that amounts to sitting around before you go on your next adventure. And with this new rules change sitting around is a bad thing, so I figure you won't want to do it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
But on a serious note, I'm going to agree that continuing to draw should be against the rules. Funny thing, it's been a while since I actually sat and played the game, but continuing to draw after defeating a hazard is so anti-thematic that I'm pretty sure it never even occurred to me to do it.

Agreed, I don't think it's ever occurred to me to do this either, as burning through Robinson's deck faster means more ageing cards end up there that I have to get rid of, so wouldn't think of burning through the deck faster on purpose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In specific situations you would draw an extra card even after you have enough to win the battle. E.g. you have a Destroy card ready to use, and you know that the single last card left in your current draw pile is an Aging card.

FWIW: thematically I'm not bothered by the possibility of drawing more fighting cards. Sometimes people in a fight continue "fighting" in a rage, beating the unconscious or dead body of their foe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
It makes the game much more interesting, makes it challenging again for experienced players, and it's a very thematic rule.

I'm an experienced player - looking at all-time plays recorded (67 pages worth) I'm currently 7th. For me the rule change impacts neither my interest nor how challenging I find the game.

The reason I say that would best be explained by an article I've been threatening to write for a long while; perhaps this change will spur me to stop procrastinating and get it written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
In specific situations you would draw an extra card even after you have enough to win the battle. E.g. you have a Destroy card ready to use, and you know that the single last card left in your current draw pile is an Aging card.

FWIW: thematically I'm not bothered by the possibility of drawing more fighting cards. Sometimes people in a fight continue "fighting" in a rage, beating the unconscious or dead body of their foe...

The thematic angle carries no weight with me whatsoever; I first read the book as a boy a very long time ago and know the story well. The game has basically zero value as a simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
It makes the game much more interesting, makes it challenging again for experienced players, and it's a very thematic rule.

I'm an experienced player - looking at all-time plays recorded (67 pages worth) I'm currently 7th. For me the rule change impacts neither my interest nor how challenging I find the game.

The reason I say that would best be explained by an article I've been threatening to write for a long while; perhaps this change will spur me to stop procrastinating and get it written.

I would be very interested to read that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
Sphere wrote:
[q="mortenmdk"]

I would be very interested to read that.

Same here arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seems in the app you can get around this new end of game condition if you do a "1x below the stack" when there is no cards left to draw. New stack becomes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I'm currently 7th.

Is there an online ranking system somewhere?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjschryver wrote:
Sphere wrote:
I'm currently 7th.

Is there an online ranking system somewhere?!

Here's the complete sentence:

Sphere wrote:
I'm an experienced player - looking at all-time plays recorded (67 pages worth) I'm currently 7th.

I was talking about experience playing the game, not a skill ranking. If you go to the game page and click Stats, then click on the number by All Time Plays, it takes you to an ordered listing of plays recorded by BGG users. Or simply click here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/43570
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny that you emphasize how thematically sound the new rule for dying of age will be, when you think about that the original German term for the age cards is Tollpatschkarten (goof/blunderer cards). Guess in Germany we die of stupidity instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dienes wrote:
Guess in Germany we die of stupidity instead

laugh

There's a lot of that going around -- here in my part of the USA, it's often preceded by someone saying "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

There's a lot of that going around -- here in my part of the USA, it's often preceded by someone saying "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Thought it was "hold my beer"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dienes wrote:
It's funny that you emphasize how thematically sound the new rule for dying of age will be, when you think about that the original German term for the age cards is Tollpatschkarten (goof/blunderer cards). Guess in Germany we die of stupidity instead

At least the last aging cards show a face with white hair and white beard. So even in the German edition Robinson gets old, even if he remains stupid :-)

Best regards,

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dienes wrote:

Tollpatschig was actually one of the first words I learned in German here.

I wonder why that was the case? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Here's the complete sentence:

Oh, I see. I thought the missing punctuation after the parenthesis was a period, not a comma: two sentences, not one.
Now I see what you were going for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffinberlin wrote:
Dienes wrote:

Tollpatschig was actually one of the first words I learned in German here.

I wonder why that was the case? blush

I remember testing an early prototype of the game when Friedemann thought that the best English translation of those cards was "NERD."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.