United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya all,

I'm making a small hand-made run of my latest game and I'm currently finalising the art. This art will not be for sale in shops, or distributors, but will be for sale at a couple of conventions in the UK and I'll take it along to a couple of games clubs too. Up until now I've been leaning towards the bottom of these two images, but I wanted to at least see what the top one looked like and get some feedback on it - which of these two do you prefer? The game is a quick semi- co-op filler (and I'm no artist!), hence the simple style:

Poll: Which box do you prefer
Top one
Bottom one
      43 answers
Poll created by CaptainJax

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
(FWIW I'd expect "Mad Scientists" rather than "Crazy Scientists"...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Nowakowski
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the zombie and scientist. Even though the graphics elements are simple there´s a lot happening and I think both designs get messy.

Some things that might fix it:
-Redraw the icons in the same style as the two heads or just don´t use them on the cover.

-Lose the glow and the gradients or just have one background gradient.

- Same with the microbes. Either loose them or make them more cartoony.

- Typography. maybe a font that looks like something from an old Horror movie poster.

I did a quick and dirty (really fast and dirty) alternative sketch. Big bold and graphic. I don´t know if the mood fits the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
(FWIW I'd expect "Mad Scientists" rather than "Crazy Scientists"...)

Hiya Russ,

A valid point! The subheading has been Unlikely Cures vs, Crackpot Scientists vs, Crazy Hippies vs and now Crazy Scientists vs. I've intentionally not chosen 'Mad Scientists' as they are usually (in popular culture!) hell-bent on world domination using imaginary weapons such as death rays, etc. I wanted to get across that these are people from the lunatic fringe trying to use existing (if highly unlikely to cure zombyism) things.
Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
I've intentionally not chosen 'Mad Scientists' as they are usually (in popular culture!) hell-bent on world domination

Aha - that makes sense.

FWIW I see that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_scientist indeed suggests similar negative connotations:
Quote:
As a motif in fiction, the mad scientist may be villainous (evil genius) or antagonistic, benign or neutral; may be insane, eccentric, or clumsy; and often works with fictional technology or fails to recognize or value common human objections to attempting to play God. Some may have benevolent or good-spirited intentions, even if their actions are dangerous or questionable, which can make them accidental villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pavel_Nova wrote:
I really like the zombie and scientist. Even though the graphics elements are simple there´s a lot happening and I think both designs get messy.

-Redraw the icons in the same style as the two heads or just don´t use them on the cover.

- Typography. maybe a font that looks like something from an old Horror movie poster.

I did a quick and dirty (really fast and dirty) alternative sketch. Big bold and graphic. I don´t know if the mood fits the game.

Hiya Pawel,

Wow! Thanks very much for the detailed feedback and mock-ups. I wasn't sure about the gradient fill (it's the only part of the game to feature one now), and I take your point about the busyness. What I was trying to get across in the top one was the scientists using the six unlikely cures to protect from the zombie plague (shown by bacteria). Possibly too complex a message to get across in the format of a two-deck box!

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the bottom one better.

While I like the two colors meeting and blending, for some reason it 'hurts' my eyes to look at.

The bottom one isn't 'overwhelming'. I personally don't think there is a lot to look at once you imagine the sides folded over. I think it flows nicely and I like th e'subtitle' being there. (what ever that may end up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I like the main title font but the serif font for the rest of the box text feels like a stylistic mismatch. The company logo is as prominent as the main art pieces which distracts from the overall presence. Save branding for the back or edge unless it's something people will instantly recognize.

The primary art assets have a very comic book / cartoon feel, I'd run with that - keeping it graphically tidy and minimalist. Particularly like the yellow bordered mockup Jackson Pope's provided - good job!

Remember that the package design's job is to get people to pick it up and examine the product. The more eye-catching from a good distance, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Nowakowski
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jacks

I totally got the message on the box. The red and blue gradient to show conflict. The contrast of the chaotic microbes and the organized scientific icons. I think it all tells a lo about the game just by looking at the box and it´s great. It´s just slightly chaotic right now if you ask me. To many things not speaking the same language.

I think that if you want to make it all work it´s a question of cleaning it up a bit and making everything in a similar style (like the two heads).

Dunno..in the end you should do what feels right for you.

Cool beans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I like the bottom one better.

While I like the two colors meeting and blending, for some reason it 'hurts' my eyes to look at.

The bottom one isn't 'overwhelming'. I personally don't think there is a lot to look at once you imagine the sides folded over. I think it flows nicely and I like th e'subtitle' being there. (what ever that may end up)

Hiya Mike,

Thanks for your input. The eye-burning-ness of the blend might be due to being almost diametrically opposite on the colour wheel. I think I'll try something along the lines of Pawel's idea next see what that looks like.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
I like the main title font but the serif font for the rest of the box text feels like a stylistic mismatch. The company logo is as prominent as the main art pieces which distracts from the overall presence. Save branding for the back or edge unless it's something people will instantly recognize.

The primary art assets have a very comic book / cartoon feel, I'd run with that - keeping it graphically tidy and minimalist. Particularly like the yellow bordered mockup Jackson Pope's provided - good job!

Remember that the package design's job is to get people to pick it up and examine the product. The more eye-catching from a good distance, the better.

The font decisions are trying to convey Zombies (title font) vs. Peer reviewed publication (the serif font). Inside the game most of the text is in the serif font for legibility.

I think I'll move the logo and players/time/min age icons to the back, which should simplify things a bit.

The yellow bordered mock up is Pawel's not mine, he deserves the credit for that.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pavel_Nova wrote:
Hi Jacks

I totally got the message on the box. The red and blue gradient to show conflict. The contrast of the chaotic microbes and the organized scientific icons. I think it all tells a lo about the game just by looking at the box and it´s great. It´s just slightly chaotic right now if you ask me. To many things not speaking the same language.

I think that if you want to make it all work it´s a question of cleaning it up a bit and making everything in a similar style (like the two heads).

Dunno..in the end you should do what feels right for you.

Cool beans

Thanks again Pawel. I'll try to take that on board!

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
CaptainJax wrote:
The yellow bordered mock up is Pawel's not mine, he deserves the credit for that.

My bad, good job Pawel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Nowakowski
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
CaptainJax wrote:

My bad, good job Pawel!

Well technically it´s a team effort.

Looking forward to seeing the new cover and the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pavel_Nova wrote:

What Pawel said, cleaner, simpler, bolder. The purple/green one is great. The green behind the green zombie isn't quite right, doesn't give the zombie the same level of pop the scientist on the purple has. I would say put the zombie on orange, but that might clash with the red behind Zomboology. Or it might look awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pavel_Nova wrote:
Fire_Forever wrote:
CaptainJax wrote:

My bad, good job Pawel!

Well technically it´s a team effort.

Looking forward to seeing the new cover and the game.

Thanks Pawel! It'll take a few days to do a new one, at the moment I'm doing them one-handed while trying to get the new baby sufficiently asleep to put down! It means I have somewhere between 30-120 minutes a night to work on it!

If you want to be kept in the loop about the game send me a mail with your email address and I'll add you to my mailing list.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Pavel_Nova wrote:

What Pawel said, cleaner, simpler, bolder. The purple/green one is great. The green behind the green zombie isn't quite right, doesn't give the zombie the same level of pop the scientist on the purple has. I would say put the zombie on orange, but that might clash with the red behind Zomboology. Or it might look awesome.

Hiya J,

I prefer Pawel's red/blue/green one since the red and blue feature on the cards as background colours, whereas purple and orange don't really. Good point about the 'pop' though - that's something I need to consider.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Nowakowski
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
Pavel_Nova wrote:
[q="Fire_Forever"][q="CaptainJax"]

Thanks Pawel! It'll take a few days to do a new one, at the moment I'm doing them one-handed while trying to get the new baby sufficiently asleep to put down! It means I have somewhere between 30-120 minutes a night to work on it!

If you want to be kept in the loop about the game send me a mail with your email address and I'll add you to my mailing list.

Cheers,

Jack

I know the feels brah. I´m working on my own game. Work and then more work after work. I´m on a red bull only diet and I´ve stopped brushing my teeth to get the extra 5 mins every night. Release date 2023 (optimistic estimate). Whoop whooop...

Pavelnova@outlook.com or just post it here.

Are you guys posting work in prog on insta or somewheres?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pavel_Nova wrote:
CaptainJax wrote:
Pavel_Nova wrote:
[q="Fire_Forever"][q="CaptainJax"]

Cheers,

Jack

I know the feels brah. I´m working on my own game. Work and then more work after work. I´m on a red bull only diet and I´ve stopped brushing my teeth to get the extra 5 mins every night. Release date 2023 (optimistic estimate). Whoop whooop...

Pavelnova@outlook.com or just post it here.

Are you guys posting work in prog on insta or somewheres?

Thanks Pawel, I've added you to the list. You can read more on my blog if you're interested, I've been posting about Zombology for 3.5 years (plus a bunch of other things and my previous attempt at running a games publisher): http://creationandplay.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:

This one is the one that would make me interested in the game.

(My 2 cents)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted some new options here, with a new poll: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26322251#26322251

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Naomi,

I struggled to get the split colours to work when wrapping around the sides, plus as mentioned above the orange, purple and green are not the colours of the game - but thanks for your feedback - it's appreciated!

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And one final poll: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1810031/poll-iii-final-batt...

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.