Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this: https://www.papercard.co.uk/a4_magnetic_paper

And I thought. Hmmm. Print game board on this, and then use metal cubes
which will stick to the magnetic surface. Unless the magentised side is the non-printing side only, but even then if you can laminate the magpaper as advertised, I could work around this. Voila -- game board to play certain games while travelling on airplanes, where 'I dropped the cube on the floor' is very much something you never want to hear.

I would then want some 6mm (ideal) 8mm (think will be easier to get) metal cubes. For instance, bbg is selling some:
https://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/metal-plastic-cubes-...
but since they don't tell you what metal the cubes are made of, I cannot tell if they would work. Anybody know? Or know a known-made-of-steel/iron cube maker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1109657/metal-or-magnetic-c...

3yrs ago.

You can buy 216 5mm magnetic cubes on Amazon for $14.99. Problem is, then you have cubes that attract each other.

You can find cubes of brass and other nonferrous metal as findings on etsy. Doesn't help much but hey, cheap metal cubes.

Any machine shop or steel supplier with a hemsaw could make short work of this but they'd probably charge out the yang for it.

I have been assured that 6mm is too small: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1804551/components-how-smal...

Of course you said travel so maybe that's different. Travel = extra fiddly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Foresman
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought several packs of Avery magnet sheets (http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/Crafts-%26-Scrapbo...) for a Roads & Boats PnP. The only game piece magnets that I could find that would stick to the magnet sheets were neodymium, which would have been too expensive for what I wanted to spend. As mentioned above, every game piece magnet was stronger than the magnet sheet game board, causing the game pieces to become unattached from the magnet sheet and stick together. I abandoned the idea of magnet sheets after a few tests and concluded that magnet sheets are designed for only large flat metal surfaces like refrigerators.

For the Roads & Boats PnP, I eventually opted for 0.75" stacking poker chips and 0.5" stickers from PrintPlayGames.com. Spielmaterial.de sells stacking counters that would have worked for my purposes, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaf68820 wrote:
I abandoned the idea of magnet sheets after a few tests and concluded that magnet sheets are designed for only large flat metal surfaces like refrigerators.

Thank you both very much. Exactly what I needed -- if, alas, not what I wanted-- to hear. So, magnet on magnet is out. How about metal on magnet paper? Did you try that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
kaf68820 wrote:
I abandoned the idea of magnet sheets after a few tests and concluded that magnet sheets are designed for only large flat metal surfaces like refrigerators.

Thank you both very much. Exactly what I needed -- if, alas, not what I wanted-- to hear. So, magnet on magnet is out. How about metal on magnet paper? Did you try that?

How many cubes are you needing anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Foresman
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How about metal on magnet paper? Did you try that?

I just emptied the metal contents of my desk drawer onto a magnet sheet. There just isn't enough magnetic force to make a difference. Things like paperclips and screws still move around quite a bit on the Avery sheets. These magnet sheets are made for flat metal surfaces, not tiny metal components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
lacreighton wrote:
kaf68820 wrote:

How many cubes are you needing anyway?

135 and looks like Avery sheets are just not it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thats about 5 bucks worth of steel. If only it cut itself....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Well thats about 5 bucks worth of steel. If only it cut itself....

Seems that the popularity of Terraforming Mars has created a small market in metal cubes to replace the plastic ones the game comes with. Now if only I could tell which metal was used ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy some and find out! Then let us all know

If i had any interest in cutting metal id be all over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be easier to print the board on paper (or full sheet labels), mount that to sheet metal, and use magnets for cubes/pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to print the board on paper (or full sheet labels), mount that to sheet metal, and use magnets for cubes/pieces?

This is the solution I have now, and all the little magnetic pieces stick together, making it hard to use. Plus it is (or at least was, when I built this thing) quite difficult to get small magnets that aren't very strong. The people who want tiny magnets seem to also want 'very strong' or 'insanely strong'. So I ended up making pieces out of material designed to become refreigerator magnets. Not owning a laser cutter, the results there left a great bit to be desired as well.

So when I saw this new (for me, at any rate) material I wondered if I could revisit the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got 2 replies back, and looks like the small metal cubes are made of a zinc alloy -- so no magnetic effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found a nice source of steel cubes and magnetic basing.

http://www.productsforwargamers.com/magnetic_basing.html
http://www.productsforwargamers.com/steel_bases.html

They cut to order. And it looks like they are far from alone in doing this, so 'magnetic basing for wargames' seems to be the magic phrase we should have been googling for. And I am finding a better selection of 'tiny little magnets' then I had been able to get, as recently as 5 years ago, for instance here: http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/magnets/neodymium-rare-earth-mag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nifty. Map-on-metal-board-on-the-wall and counters in tiny magnetic clips has been a thing for ... decades(?). Don't think that will go away ... too many 2-sided counters in this world.

Glad they are working with you. If I wanted them I'd probably cut them myself and made a mess LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.