Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy all. Just sharing a project i've been working on for the last 6 months or so. Mostly for my own edification and because I like designing games for my friends.

It's a COIN game, set 200 years after Martian colonization, and draws on fictional sources like Total Recall, Red Mars and Red Faction.

Here's some snippets from my personal play test version of the game, keen to see if people think the idea is worthwhile, if its a game you'd be interested in seeing developed further or made, or if the idea is utter garbage.

Please note, everything in its current state is my playtest version. The rulebook isn't finished yet (90% done), but it is a COIN game, so the ideas should be easy to grab if you are familiar with those.

http://vom-krieg.blogspot.co.nz/2017/07/red-dust-revolution-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, with the currently level of interest in Mars Games might be worth pursuing. Nice cross-over concept. My little group would like this I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The setting seems much more "real" than I'd expected.

The Reclaimers concept is very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone just yesterday was asking about interest in a sci-fi COIN game. And today here one comes along ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Someone just yesterday was asking about interest in a sci-fi COIN game. And today here one comes along ...

It's like Hollywood. Everyone has the same idea at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithkrall wrote:
It's a COIN game, set 200 years after Martian colonization, and draws on fictional sources like Total Recall, Red Mars and Red Faction.

I assume you mean the Red Mars trilogy (KSR), and in that case I can't see how I could resist. I love those books!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested on the condition you take the same approach to the card art Stronghold did with Terraforming Mars. ;-)

Also, see the COIN series forums. https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1276077/gmt-coin-series/gene...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very cool! If this ever comes out as a Pnp (or a published game of course) I would totally give it a spin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it! I hope it becomes a published game - especially since I don't like to do my own PnP. Really like your Reclaimers idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it were best that we first remove the bugs from the COIN series on planet Earth before we export the concept into space.

Just a thought.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Perhaps it were best that we first remove the bugs from the COIN series on planet Earth before we export the concept into space.

Just a thought.

goo

Maybe the problems with COIN are all rooted in having been based on historical events. Perhaps it will be found that having total (or at least near total) narrative carte blanche will be just the thing to smooth out any bumps.

Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umberto Colapicchioni
Switzerland
Genestrerio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithkrall wrote:

I hope you might be able to include some ideas from Babylon 5 too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
aesthetocyst wrote:

It's like Hollywood. Everyone has the same idea at the same time.

That's the Zeitgiest for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virtuali wrote:
Ithkrall wrote:

I hope you might be able to include some ideas from Babylon 5 too...

Free Mars is called Free Mars because of Babylon 5. Also, Edgars industries is a big influence on the CORP and the reclaimers have some psionic upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:

Just a thought.

goo

Maybe the problems with COIN are all rooted in having been based on historical events. Perhaps it will be found that having total (or at least near total) narrative carte blanche will be just the thing to smooth out any bumps.

Maybe.

"fixing" COIN is really outside the scope of what I set out to do. For me, COIN works fine which is why I selected it as the game engine for this idea.

If you think COIN games don't work or are broken, then this project probably won't do it for you i'm sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:

There is a star wars based coin floating around... somewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right ... Star Wars: Rebellion

No! Freedom in the Galaxy

No not that one ... Down with the Empire

etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the up coming cdg based on The Expanse ip designed by Geoff Engelstein
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
There is also the up coming cdg based on The Expanse ip designed by Geoff Engelstein

That looks like it will be really neat. Expanse + Twilight struggle like system. Sign me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Interesting, with the currently level of interest in Mars Games might be worth pursuing.

Mars is the new Pirates.

Interesting idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J
Nice job so far, seems like you have really put some work into this. Really like the 3rd faction Free Mars...maybe create a Eugene Debs card for that one...maybe Eugene Debs XX.

Keep up the good work, very creative.

regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buseyhead wrote:
J
Nice job so far, seems like you have really put some work into this. Really like the 3rd faction Free Mars...maybe create a Eugene Debs card for that one...maybe Eugene Debs XX.

Keep up the good work, very creative.

regards

I was unfamiliar with Eugene Debs as US history is not my forte. But he seems like an interesting figure. One recurring theme in cyberpunk and near future stories is the mechanization of labor and the isolation of people from work. Si i really wanted to get that "masses against the classes" ideology firmly embedded in the lore of the game.

Plus, my partner works for a union running campaigns, so that was an influence there for sure.

Corporations vs workers is a core theme for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Many moons ago I talked about how the Pendragon announcement made me wish the series went into fantasy and science fiction - Pendragon made me think of Arthurian legends and wondered how that would turn out in a smaller scale COIN game... then my mind shifted immediately to Star Wars, and then Dune, and then Babylon 5. Too many of these will never happen due to licensing issues (for example, there will never be a GMT Star Wars COIN game because FFG/ANA has those rights... and I doubt they'd ever share without ridiculous amounts of money). A shame this isn't about the B5 Mars rebellion - that would have been awesome.

Please let us know when if or when you release this as a pnp game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric Manns
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A COIN game based upon a fantasy setting would be cool. Several novels come to mind....but the licensing fees are the issue.

Sword of Shannara come to mind as a insurgency....just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:

Please let us know when if or when you release this as a pnp game.

Oh for sure. GMT is the first and only place i'd consider to formally publish this game. If they pass, then I will put out a much rougher and unpolished PnP version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.