United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Game Reviewer
badge
Help, I can't stop laughing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Original review at: http://www.geeksundergrace.com/tabletop/review-legends-of-an...

Review

This 5-6 player expansion adds four new heroes to the game.

Arbon is a stealthy guardian who weakens the enemy he attacks and then utilizes the same ability as the archer. I would completely replace the archer with this hero. Fenn is a tracker who has three special items that he can use each turn, which can reveal covered items, or help in combat. Those two are just examples, but the four new heroes add replayability to the game, and allow for new strategies and ways to attack scenarios.

As for adding additional players past four, I’m not sure that’s something I’m apt to do again.

Adding new players means strengthening your enemies. In fact, in our first five player game, we lost the possibility of winning our scenario before we started the fourth round. I can’t imagine how we could have achieved victory any sooner than the 6th or 7th time around the board. It actually soured me a bit to the entire game, as with even four, I don’t think we could have succeeded (I’m being purposefully vague so as not to spoil the adventure, but it was legend four, for reference).

When playing with more than four, players will use generic black tokens on the sunrise track to spend actions. Players still activate in turn order, but now will use a pool of tokens amongst themselves instead of their own disc. It breaks the theme and immersion a bit, and could mean one player spending many actions because of their abilities. Players can still exert themselves.

New Heroes also adds an additional shield to extend games and make a scenario easier. Black Heralds are a new option that feel like ring wraiths from The Lord of the Rings. These evil beings are added with higher player counts and accompany final adversaries in a few of the scenarios. They essentially aid the boss battle to make it more challenging and forces players to bring more heroes to the fight to defeat the enemy. Finally, a drunken troll can be added to complicate enemy movement and just generally become a nuisance for the players.

I don’t mean to recap the summary of the game box, but it is what it is. If you know Legends of Andor is the game for you and your group, I would consider buying this one along with the base game. Not necessarily for the gameplay variants or having more players, but solely because the new player powers add quite a bit to the game. Some make the game easier, but generally they feel more thematic. Moving a summoned water beast around the map is really fun, and you’ll find a bit of satisfaction having more control in combat encounters.

Positives
+ New Heroes are excellent and add lots of interesting decision making

Negatives
- I can take or leave the difficulty modifiers

Bottom Line
If you want more players at the table, you're in for a longer and more difficult experience. The new heroes and other components add plenty of interesting variability that can be implemented in the base game, so this might be for you.

A review copy of Legends of Andor: New Heroes was provided by KOSMOS for a review of the game.

Visit our Geeks Under Grace Tabletop Guild!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.